A question about Godparents

Pardon me if this has been addressed. I searched and didn't see anything that answered my question specifically.

My children were baptized Lutheran (MS) because that's the tradition I came up in. My husband is Catholic and we have decided that Catholicism is right path for us. My children are in Catholic school and will be welcomed into the church next year, all three together. Hopefully I will be at the same time. :)

When they were baptized I wasn't actively practicing and we did not select Godparents. This is a choice I've regretted. My question is this: is it possible to select them now that we are more firm in our faith as a family and have a better understanding of what this means? I'd like them to have people in their lives as they move forward receiving the sacraments. Is there a different process at this point?

Thank you for any help.

Hello!

You could most definately ask people to be “honorary” Godparents for your children, but since they were validly baptized, they won’t get “re-baptized”, so there would be no “formal” Godparents. I’m not familiar with the particulars of children coming into the church post-baptism, do they have sponsors? That would fullfill the role of Godparent, as well.

In Christ,
Ellen

Thank you. No, they will not be re-baptized, their baptism is acknowledged and valid. I just wasn't sure if I could ask people after the fact.

I suppose a sponsor is similar. Doesn't have the same ring to it though!

[quote="elizabeth_grace, post:3, topic:318294"]
Thank you. No, they will not be re-baptized, their baptism is acknowledged and valid. I just wasn't sure if I could ask people after the fact.

I suppose a sponsor is similar. Doesn't have the same ring to it though!

[/quote]

If you look at canon law you will see that they don't use the word 'godparent' but rather, they use the word 'sponsor'. They are one and the same.

The only exception is for a catechumen who has a sponsor while he/she goes through the first part of the RCIA process but who may opt for a different person to be the godparent at his/her baptism.

Your children will be confirmed when they are received into full communion, won't they? They can have a sponsor at that time. When cradle Catholics are confirmed they are encouraged to have one of their baptismal sponsors as their confirmation sponsor.

[quote="Phemie, post:4, topic:318294"]
If you look at canon law you will see that they don't use the word 'godparent' but rather, they use the word 'sponsor'. They are one and the same.

The only exception is for a catechumen who has a sponsor while he/she goes through the first part of the RCIA process but who may opt for a different person to be the godparent at his/her baptism.

Your children will be confirmed when they are received into full communion, won't they? They can have a sponsor at that time. When cradle Catholics are confirmed they are encouraged to have one of their baptismal sponsors as their confirmation sponsor.

[/quote]

That is helpful! Thanks for taking the time to answer!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.