A Question about Mary

In a discussion with my girlfriend about Mary and purity, the question came up of whether or not the men of Nazareth ever lusted over Mary. She was the most beautiful woman ever to walk the face of the earth, and sinless, but does that make her free from the lustful glances of others?

For St. Joseph to be chaste, wouldn’t he have had to have been tempted with impurity? After all, if one is never tempted, one does not even need the discipline of chastity.

On the other hand, I have been told that Mary was too full of pure beauty and grace that lust for her was all but impossible.

Not that it really matters to us in the present, but we didn’t come to any conclusion, so I thought I would see what you all think.

Being tempted does not mean they sin, giving into temptation is sin. In the case of an Angel appearing to Joseph and the other miracles surrounding the Holy Family I dont think St Joseph struggled with impurity.

As for others lusting, that is their own sin.

Under what grounds do you believe Mary was the most physically beautiful female that ever existed?

Mary’s “grace” was a state free of sin. Mary knew as did Joseph that Mary was chosen to perform a special assignment by God, this is why Mary remained ever virgin. As Mary and Joseph accepted Mary’s assigned duties it was not reasonable for Mary to perform any other function than mother of God. I know and have read nothing concerning Mary’s physical appearance other than most schalors believe she would have been very young when here duties became known. Remember she was selected before birth but not confirmed until probably 13-19 years of age. Our last documented reference for Mary is at the crucifixation when Mary is probably 34- 55 years old.

hope that helps

PS When Protestants ask about Mary’s other children, simple ask them what kind of man do they think stole God’s wife?

I don’t think there is a definitive answer to such questions - they’re extremely speculative.

Whether lust exists surely is dependent upon the one who lusts rather than the object. All sorts of most unlikely people can end up being objects of lust, so it’s quite possible that our Lady was too.

As for Joseph - I don’t agree with your analysis there. You don’t need to be plagued by temptations of hate to be gifted with the virtue of love. Neither do you need to be particularly tempted to unchastity to be considered chaste. It’s not a discipline as such, it’s simply a virtue and a grace.

Lets do the math here:

Mary’s age at crucifixion – Jesus’ age at crucifixion = Mary’s age at Christmas
34 — 33 = 01

Im sure you meant something else :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you :o

If Mary were 13 when visited, and Jesus were 30 at crucifixion she would have been 43-44. sorry

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.