A question about Patron Saints (I'm really confused)

Firstly…I dunno if this is the right forum to post this. But here goes.

I’m 15 and Confirmed. I was confirmed three years ago through some program…I’m not entirely sure how it was…but I know I was Confirmed…and being three years younger, I did not think much about who my Patron Saint would be. I chose Sts. Catherine of Siena and Rose of Lima. I’m not entirely sure how I settled on these, but I did, was Confirmed…and forgot about it.

Now I’m getting into my faith again and researching, learning, reading about Saints’ lives…I find that I don’t have such a strong connection with my chosen Patron Saints as I probably should…I feel closer, for example, to Saint Cecilia (but since Cecilia’s my middle name, that would make more sense, I suppose.) I guess I’m most torn because I chose St. Catherine of Siena as my Confirmation Saint, but now I feel more…well, /close/ to St. Catherine of Alexandria (coincidentally, they bear the same first name.) And I was Confirmed under the name Catherine-Rose, it never specified which Catherine.

I’m not really sure why I’m even posting this…I guess it confuses and troubles me that I don’t feel as close to the intended Confirmation Saint as I should…is this wrong? Sometimes I find myself wondering if, since I never specified which Catherine and I was so young, I could probably settle under Catherine of Alexandria and it would still count?

This might be a silly question…but I need clearing up before I go crazy, because the official Confirmations for most kids my age in my parish are going to happen on April, and lately it’s bothering me that now that I know my faith so much better, I know I can’t be re-Confirmed under different Saints…but then, that still doesn’t settle my conscience.

Any advice? Or links to go to so I can learn about my own Patron Saints better? This just makes me feel awful…and confused…and I finally decided to post for advice. :shrug:

I’d appreciate any responses. :slight_smile: Also, if you have the time, do you have any suggestions for a female Patron Saint of writing? I know that St. Francis de Sales is a Patron Saint for writers, but I was wondering if there was a female Saint that could qualify. :confused:

Thanks to anyone who responds. :slight_smile: I really need this answered soon.
~Mariella

St Teresa of Avila

Hi Mariella –

You chose a saint at that time based on who you were then. No matter who you chose, they are a saint and can help you in your journey whether you feel close to them or not.

I think the saints we don’t feel close to can help us as much as those we do feel close to. Sometimes we see what we want to in ourselves and our closeness is based on that; however, God wants us to look at something we don’t see, or don’t want to see, in ourselves and a saint who we don’t feel close to might just be the one to show it to us.

You are not limited in your access to any saint. They all have things to teach us. You never know, twenty or thirty years from now you may see just how close you are to St Catherine of Siena and St Rose of Lima. You are so young. Please don’t worry about getting it right; rather put your energy into surrendering to the Lord and allowing Him to teach you through anyone or any way He chooses.

I chose the name Mary – I don’t know why. Today I feel close to St Thérèse of Lisieux, St John of the Cross and St Maximilian Kolbe – all for different reasons.

Although I don’t know anything about her, a female patron saint of writers is St Lucy of Syracuse: saints.sqpn.com/saint-lucy-of-syracuse/

Peace –
Annie

Hi Mariella,

Remember they call it a “community of Saints” for a good reason. They are all praying for us and helping us, and it would probably be hard to distinguish at any given time which prayer of from whom helps us the most. The important thing is that you learn about the Saints, not just your partronesses (if that’s even a word?) because it is the lesson of their lives that is instructive to us. You can’t know about too many of them, honestly.

Each of them can teach you something different and inspire you in different ways. When I feel overwhelmed with naysayers, I think of St. Thomas Aquinas sitting in school and being called a “Dumb Ox” and being teased by his schoolmates who thought he was useless, then going on to be one of the most profound thinkers and writers of all time, in and out of the Church.

When I need courage, I think of St. Maximilian Kolbe or St. Lawrence, men who looked death in the eye and stood fast. St. Max volunteered to take the place of a prisoner in a Nazi death camp who was selected for execution (by starvation). He led the other condemned prisoners in prayer and hymns until after a week some had died and he was unable to sing anymore. After starving him for about two weeks he was still praying silently and they got tired of it and gave him a lethal injection.

St. Lawrence was a deacon in Rome in charge of caritas, and was caught in the catacomb of St. Callixtus along with Pope Sixtus II. The Pope and the other deacons present were murdered on the spot. Lawrence was spared by the Roman soldiers so he could gather up the funds and all the valuables of the Church. He was to return in 3 days with all the loot. Lawrence spent the next 3 days gathering the poor in the courtyard of the Church and converting valuables into cash. He gave every dime of it away to the poor - widows and handicapped.

(Side note: When someone asks me why doesn’t the Pope sell everything in the Vatican and give it to the poor, my answer is, “We did that already. Go read about St. Lawrence.”) :p:D

After three days, the soldiers came looking for him demanding the treasure of the Roman Church. St. Lawrence led them to the courtyard out back and pointing to the poor gathered there, said “These are the real treasures of the Church.” The soldiers didn’t see any humor in that whatsoever and dragged him off to the magistrate, who ordered Lawrence roasted alive on a sheet of iron over a roaring fire. While he was burning alive, he actually joked with the soldiers, asking them to turn him over because he was done on this side. That seems an awfully odd place for a joke, but it was not lost on the Roman soldiers who witnessed it. They wanted to know how could anyone face death so casually, and it led to many of them converting to Christianity.

So don’t tie yourself to only your patron Saint. Sts. Catherine and Rose won’t be upset with you for exploring the rest of the community.

Hi everybody,
Thank you so much for your responses. I feel so much more relaxed now. I appreciate the quick and specific responses, and you have no idea how much you have helped me; I can feel the internal conflict dying, as I pray about this, using your advice.

Hehe…it feels nice to be reassured that they won’t be upset…I don’t wear a religious medal from either of them, for example. The medal I wear most devoutly is a St. Cecilia relic medal, and I don’t even know why—I’m no musician. shrug :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks again, thanks so much!
God Bless,
~Mariella

I’m forgetting the author now but I’m reading a wonderful book called “My Life With The Saints” and introduces a number of saints as the author meets them in his own life, which is the way I think it is supposed to be. You will read about them, come across them in movies or through friends who mention them – the idea is to find out more about them and relate them to who you are.

They can all be your patrons

Regards,

dj

Hi!
I’m in a similar situation as you. I’m 16 and making my confirmation. I have three “patron saints”, St. Therese of Liseaux, St. Faustina, and St. Joan of Arc. Faustina is my chosen name for Confirmation, but I feel a real closeness with St. Therese of Liseaux and St. Joan of Arc. (Hence my screename, Jeanne)

Just remember, its ok! Your saints are not going to be upset with you because you chose another name over theirs. They’re all pretty much friends, and it’s not a jealously contest.

All of them want you to be closer to Jesus, and all of them can help you. That’s the main thing about this practice.

As for a female saint of writing. St Therese of Liseaux, St. Catherine of Siena, and St. Theresa of Avila are all Doctors of the Church for their spiritual writing.

-Jeanne

Oh, I will definitely try to find that book! Thanks for mentioning it. :slight_smile:

Jeanne, yes, your situation IS very similar to mine…I’m sure that many others are, too. I definitely feel better knowing I’m not the only one. :slight_smile: And thanks for the suggestions for a female saint of writing. What a coincidence that one of them happens to be Catherine of Siena…:slight_smile:

Thanks again, everybody. I feel a lot better now. I wish I had asked this sooner. :o

God Bless,
~Mariella

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.