A Question About Suffering...With Jesus On The Cross

Hi. I have a question or two and would appreciate feedback if you can answer one or both.

I was reading a blog online by Annie ?, “Catholic Wife, Catholic Life”. In the article I read, she said that St. Maria Faustina offered her suffering to God, uniting herself to Jesus on the cross, to atone for the sins of others. My son that I’ve written about here a few times that died four years ago at the age of 28, use to pray to God every night for relief from the extreme pain and suffering he was experiencing all the time. He said something, at least a couple of times that I can remember, that came just from his own head and heart because he, like I, were both born Catholic and baptized Catholic and had a touch of going to Sunday School while we were very young. But that was it. We were both very ignorant about Jesus, the Church, our faith…I’ve been reading and searching very much since my son died trying to learn what I can while I can before I die. I wish I’d known then what I know now and I would of made sure he and his brother learned all they needed to know.

#1. Concerning what I wrote above about St. Faustina, I was immediately taken back to at least a couple of times my son said something eerily similar. When he would be hurting really bad, and I was hurting for him, he would tell me that he “knows he has to suffer like this to make up for all the good times that people so very easily have without effort with no consequences for their actions.” Like there had to be a balance in the world or something. Not his exact words but the best I can recollect. He didn’t say anything about Jesus or sins directly but he wouldn’t of known anything about that. Can you see anything similar in what he said compared to what St. Faustina did, and…

#2. If Catholics all over offer their suffering to unite with Jesus’s suffering on the cross to atone for the sins of others, could it be possible that perhaps my son ,himself, could have benefited somehow from this atonement gained by the gift of the unity of suffering by so many offered to that of Jesus’s suffering. My son needed all the help and prayers he could get to have a chance to get to heaven by the mercy and forgiveness of Jesus. Thank you.

#1 Yes but not as a balance.
#2 Yes

St. Paul says “Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church”. (Colossians 1:24)

Suffering can be a very powerful prayer for others. It is accepting God’s Divine Will that he knows what he is doing. It is trusting that he can bring something extremely good out of evil. In offering it for others is an act of love. Suffering comes to everyone in some form or other, by uniting it to Christ’s suffering for the salvation of the world, we truly become co-redeemers with Christ.

Thank you spiderweb. That’s exactly what I was wanting to know. Great answer.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.