A question about the Eucharist

Is it a sin (and/or is it not allowed) that a person who has not recieved the sacrament of first communion to recive the Eucharist at all (excluding the annointing of the sick)?.If so then how can you be sure that a person who has’nt recieved first communion does not recieve the Eucharist?.I mean it’s not like you can ask questions to everyone at Mass to make sure that only those who have recieved the Sacrament recieve the Eucharist.

There is no “Sacrament of First Communion”. There is just the Sacrament of the Eucharist or Communion. First Communion is just a formal process for the first time you will receive that same Sacrament. Truth is, you don’t need the formal process at all from a technical standpoint. But the Church does it so that way to make sure those who would receive are prepared to receive and understand the teaching. But in the Eastern Churches, First Communion is given together with Baptism and Confirmation, regardless of age.

Now, how does the Church prevent a non-baptized Catholic from receiving? Honestly she can’t. But that matter would be taken up between that person and God at the end.

But if you are Catholic and are worthy to receive, then you can. That will be your first Communion. There’s really nothing different during First Communion and the succeeding ones. Our former pastor even gave Communion to the kids one Sunday before their First Communion ceremony. Because the ceremony is just that, a ceremony.

In the Roman Catholic Rite, First Communion is deferred until the age of reason, age 7, and Confirmation until the age of discernment.
When it was time for my daughter to make her First Communion, the priest acknowledged that some children may have already “snuck the Eucharist” and referred to the celebration as The First Solemn Communion.
As members of the Body of Christ, each of us has an obligation to safeguard the Eucharist. My grandchildren are not Catholic. They have learned to cross their arms across their chest, a regional custom, and approach the altar for a blessing. I have further caught the priest’s eye and shaken my head as they approached the altar indicating that they were not to receive.

When I was younger, traveling in a foreign country where I didn’t speak the language, I went to Mass with a group of Catholic friends. (I hadn’t made up my mind that I was going to convert; in fact, I’m in RCIA now) The priest didn’t understand the crossed arms over the chest thing that is normal for those who want a blessing instead of Communion. I coughed due to a whiff of some smell and next thing I know he had place the Eucharist in my mouth…

Actually this depends on the diocese. Some diocese, such as ours, are now doing First Reconciliation, First Communion, and Confirmation at the age of reason rather than waiting for Confirmation. This is called the Restored Order.

It is required, in the Latin Rite, that a person be properly instructed in the Eucharist before receiving it. Note that this is primarily the responsibility of the parents and the pastor.

Can. 913 §1. The administration of the Most Holy Eucharist to children requires that they have sufficient knowledge and careful preparation so that they understand the mystery of Christ according to their capacity and are able to receive the body of Christ with faith and devotion.
§2. The Most Holy Eucharist, however, can be administered to children in danger of death if they can distinguish the body of Christ from ordinary food and receive communion reverently.
Can. 914 It is primarily the duty of parents and those who take the place of parents, as well as the duty of pastors, to take care that children who have reached the use of reason are prepared properly and, after they have made sacramental confession, are refreshed with this divine food as soon as possible. It is for the pastor to exercise vigilance so that children who have not attained the use of reason or whom he judges are not sufficiently disposed do not approach holy communion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.