A question about the Liturgy of the Eucharist

The words “By the mystery of this water and wine may we come to share in the divinity of Christ, who humbles himself to share in our humanity”. Is there any difference between the Priest’s cup and all the other cups? Since the water is not added to the other cups, are all sharing in the divinity, or is this just a symbolic gesture?

There is no difference after the Consecration. The only Chalice required is the priests.

So, it is just a purely symbolic gesture to mix water and wine. Then why go through the ceremony at all?

**No, it isn’t just a ‘symbolic’ gesture. There are certain rubrics that are to be followed by the priest that aren’t to be followed by the laity. This is one of them.

During consecration, the priest adds water to the wine to represent the water which came out of Christ’s side. Remember, the Mass is the unbloody re-enactment of the sacrifice Christ made at Calvary. There is no reason to add water to the other chalices because it is the priest’s chalice which is the re-enactment. However, transubstantiation still occurs with wine in other chalices if they are placed on the altar.**

The Mass is not a re-enactment of the sacrifice of Christ. It is a participation in the one sacrifice.

At our church water is added to all of the wine, not just the the wine the priest consumes…and I believe this is always the case as I have never noticed that a priest failed to do this…

When more thn one chalice is going to be used the water is added before the chalices are filled … then all of the chalices are filled for the consecation …

Before the reforms of that latest GIRM [when additional chalices were filled after the consecration], the priest added water to the wine in his chalice and to the wine in the caraffe before the consecration…

But always the Consecrated Wine is wine mixed with water consecrated to become the Euchaistic Blood of Jesus [and Body, Soul, Divinity…]

**And WHERE did you learn the basics of your Faith??? You have just eliminated the whole foundation of the Eucharistic mystery!

PLEASE read what the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches us about the Eucharistic Sacrifice. The Eucharist as offered to us at Mass is THE UNBLOODY SACRIFICE OF CHRIST MADE PRESENT TO US FOR ALL TIME.

Catechism of the Catholic Church - “The sacrificial memorial of Christ and of his Body, the Church” Nos. 1362-1372. Read particularly 1366.

If you have been taught otherwise, you have been taught in error.**

peary, I could be wrong, but I think Joannm was referring to the word re-enactment, from your 1st.post.:shrug:
God bless!

Yes, that is what I was referring to. We do not re-enact anything.

Is it that this is a process where we (the general congregation) are to share in the divinity of Christ? So, if only the priest uses the “water and wine” in his cup, we do not share in his divinity? If we don’t share in this cup, then we would be capable of only human faith, hope and charity as a result of our own strength of character. But, I believe that when we share completely, we receive Supernatural Virtues—Faith, Hope and Charity, by the power of God.
mark

Jesus doesn’t die again in the Mass. The sacrifice being offered is the living sacrifice, of the body and blood of the resurrected and glorified Jesus.

Neither is it a re-enactment of the crucifixion and death of Jesus, but a remembrance of it.

From Eucharistic Prayer III

Father, calling to mind the death your Son endured for our salvation, his glorious resurrection and ascension into heaven, and ready to greet him when he comes again, we offer you in thanksgiving this holy and living sacrifice.

Jim

In the celebration of the Mass The priest re-enacts that Last Supper and re-presents the one same Sacrifice of the Cross.

**Hey, everyone -

instead of arguing about what the Eucharistic Sacrifice in the Mass IS, why don’t do PLEASE read what the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches us about the Eucharistic Sacrifice. It is not that we re-sacrifice Christ again; the Eucharist as offered to us at Mass is THE UNBLOODY SACRIFICE OF CHRIST MADE PRESENT TO US FOR ALL TIME.

Catechism of the Catholic Church - “The sacrificial memorial of Christ and of his Body, the Church” Nos. 1362-1372. Read particularly 1366.

It’s ALL there. It’s going to be a complete revelation to some of you!!**

I still do not thing re-enact is a good term. Perhaps it is just a disagreement in terms. I tend to think of the term “re-enact” as acting out…much like would be done in a passion play. The priest is not acting but standing in persona Christi" and thus making present (as you stated) the action of Christ at the Last Supper as well as the sacrifice on the cross.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.