A question about the Pope

This is a question that someone asked me the other day (the person was protostant by the way). They said that they heard that the Popes (past and present) claim to be God on earth and to hold the same authority. How does one respond to a question like that?
Thanks and God Bless :slight_smile:

My first response would be …:rotfl:

But seriously I would say “Well what you heard was false.” The burden of proof is on them. Ask them for evidense to back up such (rediculous) claims.

The pope is the Vicar of Christ meaning he represents Christ not that he is Christ.

I agree, well said. Also, the Trinity is a central part of our theology. Tell them we don’t believe in a quadruply.
Patrick

Well a comment like this should help you easily come to a conclusion on the validity of any of their other claims about the Catholic Church.

Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God, was literally “God on earth”. The Pope, on the other hand, being a man, a creature, is “God on earth” only by analogy because the Pope, by virtue of his office as “the faithful and wise steward, whom his master will set over his household” (Luke 12:42), is the highest earthly authority in the Church and has been since Christ’s Ascension to Heaven and will be until Christ’s Second Coming.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.