A question for anyone raised pre-Vatican II

This question is in regards to the teaching of Limbo for those who were raised Catholic pre-Vatican II especially those who went to Catholic school. Were you taught as a doctrine of the Church that infants who die without baptism go to Limbo?

MP

I went to Catholic school for 12 years, graduating just as V2 changes were being implemented. I was taught by Dominicans that limbo was one possible explanation for where unbaptized innocent persons, including babies, go when they die, that it was permissible to accept this as a possibility, but that we have no definite knowledge and that they are entrusted to God’s mercy, and whatever He decides is perfectly right and just. by the way, in case anyone asks, I also studied bible history beginning in 4th grade and until graduation 3 class periods a week were spent on scripture, and 2 on church history. this was in addition to class on religious doctrine and morality.

[quote=puzzleannie]I went to Catholic school for 12 years, graduating just as V2 changes were being implemented. I was taught by Dominicans that limbo was one possible explanation for where unbaptized innocent persons, including babies, go when they die, that it was permissible to accept this as a possibility, but that we have no definite knowledge and that they are entrusted to God’s mercy, and whatever He decides is perfectly right and just. by the way, in case anyone asks, I also studied bible history beginning in 4th grade and until graduation 3 class periods a week were spent on scripture, and 2 on church history. this was in addition to class on religious doctrine and morality.
[/quote]

Puzzleannie, may I ask what state you were raised in? I do know people who were taught Limbo is a doctrine. I’m thinking that that teaching may have been a regional mistake.

MP

Like Annie, I was also taught Limbo as a possibility, not a doctrine. It was to be considered a place of perfect natural happiness. (The theological problem being that without baptism, they weren’t sure how the infants could receive sanctifying grace.) As I understand it, the Church currently teaches that we leave them to the mercy of God, who is all merciful.

Not really much of a change; although we’re more prone now to say that God is, after all, not limited by the sacraments.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.