A Question for JW's about Jehovah God

Reading my New World Translation of the Bible, I find the following passages:

Revelation 1:8 (NWT)
“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says Jehovah God, “the One who is and who was and who is coming, the Almighty.”

Question #1: Who is the Alpha and the Omega? Jehovah God, right?

Revelation 20:6-7 (NWT)
And he said to me: “They have come to pass! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To anyone thirsting I will give from the fountain of the water of life free. Anyone conquering will inherit these things, and I shall be his God and he will be my son.”

Question #2: Who is the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end? Jehovah God, right?

Revelation 22:12-13 (NWT)
“Look! I am coming quickly, and the reward I give is with me, to render to each one as his work is. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.”

Question #3: Who is the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end? Jehovah God, right?

Revelation 2:17-18 (NWT)
And he laid his right hand upon me and said: “Do not be fearful. I am the First and the Last, and the living one; and I became dead, but, look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.”

Question #4: This passage says, “I am the First and the Last (Jehovah God, right?)…and I became dead.” When did Jehovah God die?

marking … am currently in contact with a JW

This information is really good, thanks!

~~ the phoenix

I could sure use some help on this…thoughts, anyone?

You seem to answering your own questions here.
I think you might mean Rev. 2: 7-8 and I would like to know the answer to that question. I looked through some of my commentaries but couldn’t find anything.
Jeanne

Here is the short answer.

1. The phrase Alpha and Omega always refers to the Father in Scripture.
  2. The phrase first and the last is used of both Father and Son but in different contexts.

Can you tell me what the title means to you?

I would be very interested in understanding what the implications of this difference are. What is different between being the Alfa (**first **letter of the greek alphabet) and the Omega (**last **letter of the greek alphabet) and being the first and last…

Not true! That phrase is used four times in the book of Revelations, and on three of those it makes it clear that it is referring to Jesus Christ:

John 1:

7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

So who is going to come, Jehavah?!

John 1:

10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

11 Saying, I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea.

12 And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;

13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.

17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

So who was it that was dead, Jehovah?!

Revelation 22:

12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

So who comes quickly, Jehovah?!

The only instance where the context does not make it explicitly clear that it refers to Jesus Christ is the following:

Revelation 21:

5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

But judging by the previous examples, we can justifiably conclude that in this instance too the reference must be to Jesus Christ.

1. The phrase first and the last is used of both Father and Son but in different contexts.

Wrong! In all of the above examples, the context makes it clear that the expressions “first and last” and “beginning and end” are used synonymously with “alpha and omega,” and that in all cases the reference is to Jesus Christ. The expressions are synonyms, and mean the same thing.

Can you tell me what the title means to you?

The scripture does not state what it means; but judging by the context, and especially since it is used synonymously with “beginning and end” and “first and last,” the best conclusion one can reach is that it means Jesus is the creator and finisher of all things. Everything has its beginning and ending in Him, as attested by the following verses:

John 1:

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Colossians 1:

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Ok I am going to answer my own post–I found this written by Robert A. Sungenis “The Apocalypse of St. John”

Jesus introduces himself to Smyrna as “the first and the last, who died and came to life”. The reason for this particular description is that some in the Smyrnan church were going to die under persecution (see Rev. 2:10-11). Before they die, Jesus, by his above adopted title, assures them that as he died and was raised again, they also will one day be raised.

I have family that are Jehovah’s witnesses. I am not a Jehovah’s witness, but this is clearly Jesus Christ who died and now is alive forevermore.

As you probably know, they deny the full deity of Christ saying He is not God but a god, so to speak.

It is clear that Jesus is God and part of the triune Godhead. There are a ton of testimonies in Scripture of Jesus divinity of equality with God making Him God, but have been changed by their translation such as John chapter 1 as they have lowercased the “G” on God.

Jesus is the Great “I AM” and He is and was and is to come.

In that view, what is the significance of the “first” and what does “last” mean in the context of the resurrection?

Hi zrs6v4,
Are you Catholic? As for changing to lowercase “G” what exactly was it changed from that was uppercase?

To all JW’s:

As Randy Carson has so eloquently pointed out when he began this thread, there’s an elephant in your livingroom! :eek:

The conclusion is ovious: The debate within the Church about whether or not Jesus Christ is really God Incarnate is a bygone affair. It was settled back in the early 4th century when Arius was declared a heretic at the first Council of Nicea. Not only that, but it would seem that mere man cannot tinker with one part of Holy Scripture (such as John 1) without making complete nonsense of other parts (Rev. 1 and 2 for example). Sadly, this is exactly what the JW’s have tried to do with their NWT.

Holy Scripture is a living, breathing testimony of the Holy Spirit. It is an indivisible whole and, as such, each individual theological concept must be interpreted in the light of ALL of it. That’s why Luther’s concept of justification by “faith alone” required him to rip out seven books (and parts of others) from God’s testimony to humankind. :frowning: Christians are those who stand for Truth in its ENTIRETY… and THAT, my JW friends, is why God gave us His One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.