A Question for LDS

If we are all Heavenly Father’s spirit children, then how is Jesus the Only Begotten Son of God?

Amontoya,
We are all Heavenly Father’s spirit children–that is a true statement. There was a time in pre-mortal life when “all the sons of God shouted for joy” (Job 38:7)

I assume your question relates to John 3:16. The LDS religion accepts this verse as given:
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

The Apostle Paul taught the Hebrews:
17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,
18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:
19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead;

Isaac was the only begotten son of Abraham and his wife, Sarah.

Moses was taught:

52 And he also said unto him: If thou wilt turn unto me, and hearken unto my voice, and believe, and repent of all thy transgressions, and be baptized, even in water, in the name of mine Only Begotten Son, who is full of grace and truth, which is Jesus Christ, the only name which shall be given under heaven, whereby salvation shall come unto the children of men, ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, asking all things in his name, and whatsoever ye shall ask, it shall be given you.
• • •
57 Wherefore teach it unto your children, that all men, everywhere, must repent, or they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God, for no unclean thing can dwell there, or dwell in his presence; for, in the language of Adam, Man of Holiness is his name, and the name of his Only Begotten is the Son of Man, even Jesus Christ, a righteous Judge, who shall come in the meridian of time.

A Book of Mormon prophet, Jacob, taught before the birth of Christ:

5 And for this intent we keep the law of Moses, it pointing our souls to him; and for this cause it is sanctified unto us for righteousness, even as it was accounted unto Abraham in the wilderness to be obedient unto the commands of God in offering up his son Isaac, which is a similitude of God and his Only Begotten Son.
• • •
11 Wherefore, beloved brethren, be reconciled unto him through the atonement of Christ, his Only Begotten Son, and ye may obtain a resurrection, according to the power of the resurrection which is in Christ, and be presented as the first-fruits of Christ unto God, having faith, and obtained a good hope of glory in him before he manifesteth himself in the flesh.

The LDS belief is that Christ was born of Mary, a virgin, who as Luke taught:

34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man?
35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
36 And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren.

It is evident that Mary conceived by “the power of the Highest”, hence she bore God’s “Only Begotten Son.”

You seem to have taken a lot of words to agree that Jesus is Gods only begotten son. But do Mormons believe we are all God’s spirit children?

yes, as he said, we are all children of God, and lived with him in a pre-mortal existence.

mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/basic-beliefs/heavenly-father-s-plan-of-happiness/you-lived-with-god

jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/?cid=wpats1

Still no answer to the OP question.

It appears the Mormon answer is: Yes.

Stephen,
I “gave you a lot of words” so that you could figure out the answer for yourself. Isaac was the begotten son of Abraham and Sarah because she conceived a baby and bore him.

Christ was the Begotten Son of Heavenly Father and Mary because Mary conceived a baby (though she remained a virgin) and she bore Him. Christ was the Only Begotten Son because although we are all God’s spirit children, only Christ was His physical offspring. Only He was conceived through a mortal mother and Heavenly Father. This is what gave Him power over death, and the physical power to withstand the agony of the infinite atonement.

So Isaac or anyone else is not a spirit child of God. This is only one spirit child of God and that is Christ?

Yes.

We believe that we are all His spiritual children. Jesus Christ, however, is the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh: the rest of us owe our mortal forms to strictly mortal parents. Jesus the Christ, however, was the literal son of Mary, and the Son (as in…this is where He got the physical DNA) of God the Father.

For instance: I am a daughter of God. So are you–in that our spirits were created by God. However, I am also the daughter of my earthly father, as he is the son of my grandfather. Jesus the Christ is both the spiritual and physical Son of God…and the only Person who can say that.

That is, after all, what “Only Begotten” means. “Only” meaning ‘unique’ and "begotten’ meaning ‘sire,’ or ‘father,’ or ‘provide the DNA for’ or whatever you want to call that relationship between biological fathers and sons.

Was the newly born Jesus God? Or was He human?

Rebecca,
He was indeed God–the Son of God, the Inheritor of all of His Father’s attributes by DNA inheritance as well as by what He had done in pre-mortal life to be qualified to be born into this world with the Perfection of God. This is why He “needed not that any man should teach Him.”

Stephen,
I hope you understood Diana’s clear explanation.

Where did God the Father get his DNA?

This is a new twist since I left Mormonism. DNA was not known then. Is this a new doctrine?

Do you believe Jesus has human DNA from Mary?

as well as by what He had done in pre-mortal life to be qualified to be born into this world with the Perfection of God.

Qualified, is an interesting word to use.

This is why He “needed not that any man should teach Him.”

Because He had God DNA?

I just wanted to say that this so far feels right. I have a good friend that is a Morman and I have lost touch. So, I am looking forward to learning more of what you believe

Stephen,
In John 5 we read:
19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.
20 For the Father loveth the Son, and sheweth him all things that himself doeth: and he will shew him greater works than these, that ye may marvel.
21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will.
22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

The Father “hath life in himself.” That is the doctrine.

How does this relate to God DNA? Where did it come from?

Rebecca,
No. Just because we understand DNA to some extent now through science, does not make the knowledge that Jesus inherited His Father’s divine attributes new doctrine.

Do you believe Jesus has human DNA from Mary?
Yes. He was called the son of David, no? He was a descendant of David, son of Jesse. That would mean He had the DNA attributed to that descendancy.

Qualified, is an interesting word to use.
He was the Creator of this earth; He volunteered to suffer as our Savior on earth when the question was asked “Whom shall I send?” He was willing to do that because He knew perfectly that He could do it, and that He loved all of us enough to do it. He loved us with a perfect love even then.

Because He had God DNA?

Yes. He had power over death, life in Himself. He was the Son of a Divine Father. He could “lay down His life” and “take it up again.” He taught this very clear doctrine over and over again to His disciples.

Are divine attributes encoded in DNA?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.