A question for Muslims.

What is your opinion on the Prophet Muhammad marrying and having sexual relations with a prepubescent girl?

I mean absolutely no disrespect to you or Islam. I am merely and truly interested.

Here’s my take on your question:

1st - you ask a question about Muhammad and

2nd - you say “absolutely no disrespect to you or islam”.

Why do you have the need to “apologize” with the “no disrespect”

Muslims have no problem with what their self proclaimed prophet of Arabia did.

Yeah - it was the norm of the time
Yeah - Aisha was mature
Yeah - Yeah her reached puberty
Yeah - her parents approved
Yeah - blah. blah. blah.

Remember - He, Muhammad is the perfect example.

He married a girl of 6 and consummated the marriage when she was 9 and he was 53 years old.

Her age is disputed by some. Some say nine, others say fourteen or fifteen for a few different reasons. I think the main reason is because she was at the Battle of Badr I believe it was. Muhammad didn’t allow anyone under the age of fifteen at battles.

If I remember correctly, only Shia Islam believe she was 15-16, not the Sunni

The lecture I listened to about this was from Ammar Nakshawani a Shia Lecturer so you may be correct.

According to Hanafi sources I’ve seen the hadith saying she was nine is correct.

www.answering-christianity.com/aisha.htm

I can’t discuss something where the main concept being discussed is unclear. What is your definition of a ‘prepubescent’ girl:

a-A girl who has reached the age of puberty?
b-Or a girl who is younger than an age that ‘you personally believe’ is inappropriate to have sexual relations with?
c-…?

I didn’t apologize for anything. I merely stated that this was not for the intention of using it against them or to be taken the wrong way. Your answer, while appreciated, does not in any way reflect an answer I desire. The “blah blah blah” is what I am interested in.

Let’s say both. What is your take on it? Leave what I think out. I want to know where you stand. I know it is not clear what actually happened. But, what do you think?

I think that the greatest example for all mankind, for all time should be the highest moral example for all mankind, for all time. Sex with a nine year old girl doesn’t cut it, imo.

My take on ‘prepubescent’ is I have no idea where you got that from. I am sure neither Sunni nor Shia sources have stated that Aisha was ‘prepubescent’ when married. It’s up to you to provide a source for this.

Its here…

Sahih al-Bukhari 3894—Narrated Aishah: My marriage (wedding) contract with the Prophet was written when I was a girl of six (years). We came to Al-Madina and we dismounted at the place of Bani Al-Harith bin Khazraj. Then I got ill and my hair fell down. Later on, my hair grew (again) and my mother, Umm Ruman, came to me while I was playing in a swing with some of my girl friends. She called me, and I went to her, not knowing what she wanted to do to me. She caught me by the hand and made me stand at the door of the house. I was breathless then, and when my breathing became normal, she took some water and rubbed my face and head with it. Then she took me into the house. There in the house I saw some Ansari women who said, “Best wishes and Allah’s Blessing and good luck.” Then she entrusted me to them and they prepared me (for the marriage). Unexpectedly Allah’s Messenger came to me in the forenoon and my mother handed me over to him, and at that time I was a girl of nine years of age.

Sahih al-Bukhari 6130—Narrated Aishah: I used to play with the dolls in the presence of the Prophet, and my girl friends also used to play with me. When Allah’s Messenger used to enter (my dwelling place), they used to hide themselves, but the Prophet would call them to join and play with me. (The playing with the dolls and similar images is forbidden, but it was allowed for Aishah at that time, as she was a little girl, not yet reached the age of puberty.)

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDQQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.answeringmuslims.com%2F2013%2F10%2Fwas-muhammad-pedophile.html&ei=YtUrVO3YKYmtyASd14LABQ&usg=AFQjCNFxu2avR8q2dh2AfJLL47b2T2oO3g&sig2=rpHRZ_ZCA7g8D3P_fTeaqA

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsunnah.com%2Fbukhari%2F78%2F157&ei=T9krVNnLEM3_yQTm9ID4DA&usg=AFQjCNFBF4eU4ngidju8kkNjUnWxFY6nDA&sig2=y47l2MF57dIpJ0NLmgdChA

He was 54 and she was 6 when they were married.

SAHIH AL-BUKHARI

Narrated Aisha:
The Prophet engaged me when I was a girl of six (years). We went to Medina and stayed at the home of Bani-al-Harith bin Khazraj. Then I got ill and my hair fell down. Later on my hair grew (again) and my mother, Um Ruman, came to me while I was playing in a swing with some of my girl friends. She called me, and I went to her, not knowing what she wanted to do to me. She caught me by the hand and made me stand at the door of the house. I was breathless then, and when my breathing became all right, she took some water and rubbed my face and head with it. Then she took me into the house. There in the house I saw some Ansari women who said, “Best wishes and Allah’s Blessing and a good luck.” Then she entrusted me to them and they prepared me (for the marriage). Unexpectedly Allah’s Apostle came to me in the forenoon and my mother handed me over to him, and at that time I was a girl of nine years of age. (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 5, Book 58, Number 234)

Narrated Hisham’s father:
Khadija died three years before the Prophet departed to Medina. He stayed there for two years or so and then he married 'Aisha when she was a girl of six years of age, and he consumed that marriage when she was nine years old. (Sahih Al-Bukhari, Volume 5, Book 58, Number 236)

Silly me :banghead: . I intended to write “Aisha was ‘prepubescent’ when the marriage commuted” instead of “Aisha was ‘prepubescent’ when married” in the previous post.

1- I meant to ask for narrations that specifically state the marriage commuted (i.e. sexual relations started) when Aisha was still ‘prepubescent’ (that is what the OP stated). In the sources you have provided it is stated that the marriage was commuted at the age of 9. Girls can easily reach the age of puberty at the age of ‘9’. There even multiple recorded instances of 9-10 year old girls giving birth (we even have a case of a 5 year old) :
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_youngest_birth_mothers

I am only saying this to show that the ‘prepubescent’ commutation of marriage cannot be confirmed by any historical document. This does not mean I accept the numbers provided (i.e. ages six and nine that I believe are flase)

2- Girls marrying at very young ages was still culturally accepted not so long ago in the western world. In the mostly Christian United states of the 1800’s the age of consent for girls was 10 in most states and 7 in Delaware:
chnm.gmu.edu/cyh/primary-sources/24

Go back a thousand years and you’ll see that it was a culturally accepted norm in many communities for girls to marry at very young ages. I find it absurd that someone would make a fuss about a social norm that was acceptable from God knows when to even modern times, but is no longer acceptable now.

I am only saying this to show that historically and culturally early marriage for girls has not been a matter of controversy although it is now. Again, this does not mean I accept the numbers provided (i.e. age 9)

3- I have a whole bunch of historical Sunni evidence from Sunni books that clearly show Aisha was at least 19 when the Marriage was commuted. What you provided as evidence from Sahih Bukhari is unacceptable to a Shia. Sunnis believe Sahih Bukhari is very reliable and based on what has been narrated therein, it was commonly thought that Aisha was in fact six or nine when she married the Prophet even though there are many historical documents from Sunni sources that show the contrary.

So to answer the OPs question, historical evidence from Sunni sources show that Aisha was not six or nine when she married the Prophet but at least nineteen years old.

As I have previously stated, when speaking about Islam, make sure you make a distinction between Sunni and Shia beliefs.

I have trouble with a sixth century religion apparently, heretical with a admixture of Judaism and Christianity. If so called radical Muslims can differ with the main stream so called moderates something is definitely radically wrong with the book. How about the laws of religion in Saudi Arabia are they so far removed from the more radical form ?

God Bless:coffee:

Islam was founded after 600 AD. The Sixth Century (501 AD to 600 AD) ended on 600 AD.

Precisely

My Muslim friends tell me that apart from the sacredness of marriage, Muhammad married Aisha as an act of charity. She would inherit a portion of his wealth after his death. Plus in God’s providence, because Aisha was married to Muhammad she had written many useful accounts which historians find very useful in attempting to understand the man Muhammad and his mission.

What was the age of adulthood during medieval Arabia?

We are not talking about the average Arabian Joe from their tribes here.

We are talking about a “PROPHET OF GOD” who at 53 years of age, married a little girl of 6 years old and consummated the marriage when she was 9…!!!

Erik, people with a bias against Islam would have you believe this is a fact and they conveniently neglect to tell you Aisha was already married to someone else before being married to the Prophet. They also neglect to tell you reports of her being a prepubescent girl in her 2nd marriage contradict other historical events. It’s a form of intellectual dishonesty in my opinion.

The truth is these reports don’t stand up to scrutiny and the only reason some Muslims stand by it is because they have been conditioned to believe everything written in Sahih Bukhari / Muslim is authentic and can not be questioned.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.