A question for northerners

Our area here in Oklahoma is currently experiencing a very serious arctic cold snap as many of you know. Pretty much all the schools are closing because of it. Many kids do not have proper clothing for temperatures that are THIS cold, also many kids walk and have to stand and wait for the bus.

One complaint I have heard that has got me thinking is the fact that schools in the north do not close because of temperatures. Ice and snow yes but not temperatures. I would think if the temps where bad enough they would. So do your schools close when it’s super cold outside. I’m talking unusually cold for your area.

A lot of people out here are praising this decision to close schools but there are some that are really gripping about it. The “I have to work so they should go to school” arguments:rolleyes: But then there is this argument about the temps and how schools in the north don’t close. I’ll admit that one has me curious. So what say you. :smiley:

I live in northeastern Wisconsin and yes, schools can be closed on account of the temperature. If it gets to about -20 or thereabouts, if I recall correctly, then shutdowns will happen. Does have to get pretty nippy, first ;)

we are from Michigan, Ohio, Illinois & Indiana variously. Basically schools close when the buses cannot run safely. Listening to Chicago news in the other room, with all their snow and frigid weather, and 400 flights cancelled at OHare, there are no school closings posted as yet.

Sometimes I've known schools to close if there were pipes bursting and no plumbing.

Dress the kids in layers. It traps heat better. Hats, coats, scarves, gloves. Socks. Don't underestimate the importance of hats and socks. If your head and feet are warm, the rest of you will be okay.

When it gets too cold, often parents drive the kids to the bus stop and let the kids wait in the car till the bus comes.

I hail from Minnesota, so not much phases us, it was 20 below last sunday when we went to mass, and I wore a skirt and a spring jacket :blush: mittens but no hat, and I was fine. :winter:

School might have been closed for cold once by governors decree. Ice, snow etc are more common though. The fact is, once you have clothes for 0 degrees you have clothes for -20.
However, there was one incident when I think it was nearing -30 and the wind chills were nearing the same and the governor closed all the schools in the state. (though I would have to check this and make sure it wasn’t for other reasons.) (I think it was determined that one couldn’t be outside for more than a few minutes without serious damage being done.)

So, since you are not used to the temperatures and do not have appropriate clothing, I think it is probably for the best that schools were closed.

Make sure to dress in a lot of layers.

It has happened, not often though, up here in PA.

I know people who get upset when school closes. I usually just remind them that the decision makers are taking much more into consideration than the average parent can imagine, and that it is better to be safe than sorry!

[quote="puzzleannie, post:3, topic:182283"]
we are from Michigan, Ohio, Illinois & Indiana variously. Basically schools close when the buses cannot run safely. Listening to Chicago news in the other room, with all their snow and frigid weather, and 400 flights cancelled at OHare, there are no school closings posted as yet.

[/quote]

Some in Chicagoland area were closed today.

Our district has alot of "walkers." When the temps dip well below zero with windchills colder still, the schools close. In a typical winter, usually only 1X for terribly cold.. usually 2X for snow - as Puzzleannie said.. when the busses can't run either to school or if it's forcasted to snow alot throughout the day, and they're fearful they'll have trouble getting students back home in the afternoon.

Warm clothing isn't really an issue .. it's totally a necessity and there are lots of school/church/community drives .. coats for kids sort of thing. It's actually some of the poor parents I feel sorry for.. espeically the Mexican Immigrants.. many of the parents wear very thin jackets.. :(

Thanks guys. :slight_smile: DH lived in South Dakota for 8 yrs and he said the only time he heard of schools closing was if the highways closed. I was curious about other areas of the country.

So basically it varies from place to place.

Our kids have winter coats and mittens and such. Unfortunately not everyone around here does. :frowning: Also some parents just don’t care.

The last time it was this cold was 1996. We are supposed to be somewhere around -3 for the next couple of nights. The highs for the next 3 days are supposed to be between 10 and 15 F. For us that is extremely cold. :winter: After that it should warm up to the 40s.

We still have a lot of snow on the ground from Christmas eve, which is very unusually for us. :eek:

They don’t often close the schools due to extremely cold temps, but they will often have a delayed start if we are under some sort of warning like high winds. That because it often warms up above zero when the sun comes up so they just delay like 2 hours. They don’t want kids standing out waiting for the bus in the below zero temps with wind and dark.

[quote="Sabda, post:8, topic:182283"]
The highs for the next 3 days are supposed to be between 10 and 15 F. For us that is extremely cold. :

[/quote]

No matter what you're used to.. that's cold.

Think warm thoughts!!! :tanning:

[quote="1ke, post:9, topic:182283"]
They don't often close the schools due to extremely cold temps, but they will often have a delayed start if we are under some sort of warning like high winds. That because it often warms up above zero when the sun comes up so they just delay like 2 hours. They don't want kids standing out waiting for the bus in the below zero temps with wind and dark.

[/quote]

They also delay school by an hour or so here too. We just got though having the wind warnings. Temps below freezing and 30 mph winds. BBBBBRRRRRRR. :winter:

[quote="Sabda, post:11, topic:182283"]
They also delay school by an hour or so here too. We just got though having the wind warnings. Temps below freezing and 30 mph winds. BBBBBRRRRRRR. :winter:

[/quote]

That's similar to what it is here in Nebraska. Tomorrow will be my third snow day in a row...I think though now it's mainly because of the temperatures. We also have tons of snow from Christmas yet, which makes it easy for snow to drift, making it difficult to drive on some roads. Right now, the temperature is -7 with a -24 windchill. And I'm one who doesn't take cold very well! :rolleyes:

Quite frankly, I'm getting tired of all the snow days. It's so cold outside and there's so much snow that I can't do anything or go anywhere! lol

I live in West Fargo, North Dakota.

Here is a Weather Warning we have at this time from the National Weather Bureau

*the national weather service in grand forks has issued a wind
chill warning, which is in effect until noon cst friday. the
wind chill advisory is no longer in effect.

wind speeds combined with cold temperatures will produce
dangerous wind chills from 40 to 45 below zero.*

I do not expect any school closures. You would think that I would hear of incidences of children being injured by the cold, but that is not the case. I don't doubt there are accidental cases, but on the whole, parents, daycares and schools know the limits and provide for the needs of the children.

What is more likely to close schools would be excess need of electricity. Most of the schools are on a program with the utility company that would reduce their usage at times of high usage. I believe this has happened in the cold, but has happened more often because of heat!

God made us very adaptable!:)

The schools have heat, the school shuts down because of the cold and the kids go skiing.:hmmm:

[quote="yellowbird, post:10, topic:182283"]

[/quote]

Laughing because temps in the teens sound warm to me! Next week is going to be in the 20s and sounds like spring. I can't wait.

I live in central Wisconsin. Schools here close if the temperature is -25.

I live in Labrador and sometimes the weather here gets bitterly cold. Usually kids who live within 1 mile from the school walk to school but in the winter everyone is bussed.

Here is our School Board's policy regarding weather closures:

Due to the varying age, maturity and physical abilities of students attending the school system,
school closure procedures for cold weather will include three separate sections: K - 3, K - 7 and
K - 12.
The following temperatures should be used as guidelines in cancelling school due to
extreme temperatures. It is important to note that these temperatures are based on living
in a northern climate where there is low relative humidity. These temperatures would
also assume that students are properly dressed for the conditions.

[LIST]
*]Grade Temperature
*]K - 3 -45ºC (-49ºF)
*]K - 7 -50ºC (-58ºF)
*]K - 12 -55ºC (-67ºF)

[/LIST]

[quote="yellowbird, post:10, topic:182283"]

Think warm thoughts!!! :tanning:

[/quote]

:D We're trying. We have both our central heat and our propane fireplace going. The living area is fine but the bedrooms are a little cool. The heat from the fireplace doesn't reach that far.

I live in southeast SD, and the schools here are usuallyclosed because of snow, ice, reduced visibility, and drifting. However, the schools in my hometown and all the surrounding towns are pretty much all called off for tomorrow, even though it stopped snowing Wednesday afternoon and the wind is dying down this evening. I believe they’re closed down due to extreme temperatures. It is currently -9 with a windchill of -36. We had sundogs today, so you know it’s cold out!

That’s extreme.

[quote="Incomplete, post:15, topic:182283"]
Laughing because temps in the teens sound warm to me! Next week is going to be in the 20s and sounds like spring. I can't wait.

I live in central Wisconsin. Schools here close if the temperature is -25.

[/quote]

You sound like my dh did years ago when we first started dating. He told me he knew that he had lived in South Dakota too long when we found himself standing outside on his friends front porch and was simply chitchatting. He was wearing shorts and a t-shirt, the temperature was 32 F. :eek:

There is a reason why I don't live up North. Nope, not happening! :D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.