A question for wanting a stronger church:

I have notice a positive difference in diocese who celebrates the Eucharist with both species as opposed to those who only do the Precious Body. I know in Scripture, the 3 synoptic books Mathew, Luck, and Mark. The Lord commands us to both Eat and Drink. They have different attributes. The diocese I visit frequently seem to have more youth going into religious life, Bigger congregations , they hold hands during the Lord’s Prayer and the music is full of pageantry and is taken seriously . A matter of fact this diocese just won the Super Bowl. I have done extensive traveling and notice when this species is missing there seems to be added oppression both financially and spiritually… My question is this: Why? I see no scriptural support for this practice.

Your views are welcomed

Although the accidental attributes (appearances) are different, the bread and wine once consecrated are substantially (in substance) the same. They each become the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ. This doctrine is supported by the wording of 1 Corinthians 11:27: “Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord.”

Thank You

Is this the only reference for this belief? And how does this read in it’s original text as when it was first written ( not sure what language) Is there any thing secured in the act ?
I get the impression that the verb of Eating and Drinking seems to be important…

Why is it, that Orthodox do not practice this view?

Correction, the Lord commands His Apostles to both eat and drink (that is who is at the Last Supper). And the priest is required to consume under both Species at Mass.

No, they don’t. You receive the fullness of Christ under both Species. Under both is contained the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ.

Good, great to hear!

Ugh, no thank you. I wish this holdover from the hippies would die out.

Excellent!

I fail to see the relevance. As far as I know, the dioceses with Baltimore, Green Bay, New York, New Orleans, and Pittsburgh aren’t doing too well. I don’t see any connection to the health of the diocese and the success of their football teams.

You may be right that increased reception of the Blood increases the vitality and health of the diocese. Might be something to look into. I would think a higher reliance and heavy promotion of Confession would do much more. I think we should do both!

I cannot think of any other Scriptural references at the moment but isn’t one such reference sufficient?

And how does this read in it’s original text as when it was first written ( not sure what language)

It is my understanding that the original text was written in Koine Greek. I am sorry; I don’t know Koine Greek myself. I quoted from a Protestant version of the Bible called the Revised Standard Version. It has a reputation of being a good literal (word-for-word) translation of Koine Greek into English.

Is there any thing secured in the act ? I get the impression that the verb of Eating and Drinking seems to be important.

I’m not sure what you mean when you ask, Is there any thing secured in the act? Could you elaborate on your question?

Why is it, that Orthodox do not practice this view?

It is my understanding that the Orthodox always give Holy Communion under both species mixed together so the question of whether or not a person can receive the whole Christ under one species has probably never come up among the Orthodox.

I am just jesting regarding the Archdiocese of Seattle being influential for the Seahawks win . But really I have noticed a difference and I find myself attracted to a church that is doing both species . A comparison of our cathedral and Seattle’s are worlds apart in every regard. The Eucharist is the greatest achievement of the death and resurrection of our Lord. To me this one thing being both is not really supported in the blessing of Melchizedek nor in the synoptic gospels. Why would there be a need to edit this sacrament into something else if the intention was to be 2 different acts of eating and drinking including 2 different substances of bread and wine. Even in the Orthodox tradition where the bread is dipped, one is both eating and drinking. I actually think the church should examine if this has an impact globally.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.