A question for you young people out there

Do you watch any of the old TV shows from the '50’s, 60’s, 70’s which some stations run?
Do you like them?

I don’t know if you would consider me young enough (30 yrs old), but I like shows such as Life is Worth Living (on EWTN), the Andy Griffith Show, Gilligan’s Island, Happy Days, etc.

I am 28 and haven’t had T.V. since 2005, minus one year b/c I had a roommate. However, I enjoy older movies such as silent films & film noir.

Saw the thread title and clicked! then when I got here realized you were asking for folks probably a little younger. Guess the reality of geting a little older hasn’t set in yet . (43 yrs.) Sorry!, but I recently started leaving my t.v. tuned to those shows. Besides the nostalgia, it’s just good to see some good clean entertainment.

Okay, going back to age appropriate threads now!

I hardly watch tv shows anymore, however in terms of older shows, I like the Wonder Years, Three’s Company, Happy Days, Full House.

Hi I watch he A-team DVDs not sure if they were 80s maybe.

JG

Soz I also love the black and white Basil Rathborne Sherlock Holmes although that’s films and not really tv.

JG

I may or may not get EWTN back home; I don’t watch it at any rate. I’m 19 and have enjoyed the few epsodes of Bishop Fulton Sheen on Youtube.

Only The Twilight Zone. My favorite show ever. :slight_smile:

I’m 22, almost 23, and I grew up on re-runs from those decades- Mary Tyler Moore, the Monkey’s, Lucy, I dream of Jeannie, and Bewitched. I watched re-runs because there was no cable in my house until I was 15. Those were good shows!

I don’t specifically seek out old TV shows, but occasionally when certain ones are on I’ll watch. The only two I really like are Sanford and Son and I Love Lucy.

I don’t know if I’m “young” for the purposes of this question (I turn 30 this year), but I love original Star Trek as well as the Twilight Zone. One week when I was working out of town, the old school TV channel was the most reliable for having good shows on, so I saw some episodes of The Honeymooners and Beverly Hillbillies.

One thing that struck me about the Twilight Zone and Star Trek - cultural overtones of Christianity are readily apparent in a way that really doesn’t exist in TV anymore. Lots of references to Scripture, quotes from classic literature and the Bible, clergy treated with respect … which is particularly notable for Star Trek since Gene Roddenberry was either atheist or agnostic (not sure which) and he dreamed of a world where humanity had “outgrown” religion.

Speaking of clergy treated with respect, I really like the portrayal of the priest (they word they use is “shepherd”) in Firefly - he’s a tough character that can kick some bad-guy butt! But I know that’s not exactly an “old” show.

I’m 25. If I am awake, Mr. Ed comes on at 5 in the morning. It is awesome.

I recently tried to watch the Munsters and pretty much can’t stand it.

I am in my 30’s and I enjoy watching: Little House on the Praries, The Waltons, Christy, Dr.Quinn Medicine Woman. There is another show I would like to see and it is called Fr. Murphy: )

I’m about 23 and the only show I can think of from those eras are the likes of Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and a bucket load of 80s cartoons (a few anime included).

I’ve watched all of Leave it to Beaver and The Andy Griffith Show on netflix and really liked them. I don’t really watch any current comedies because I just don’t find the raunchy humor they are filled with to be funny. The older shows are actually funny AND family friendly, even if they can be a little bit cheesy. :smiley:

im 25 and i like shows like twilight zone, star trek (original) even some silent movies like nosferatu

I’m 21 and among the many here who seem to enjoy The Andy Griffith show. Very funny, even today, some 50 years after it premiered and CLEAN (unlike 85% of broadcast TV). Also, I try and catch Fulton Sheen’s Life is Worth Living when it airs on EWTN on Saturdays.

I like and enjoy:
[LIST]
*]The Lucy Show
*]Gilligan’s Island
*]I Love Lucy
[/LIST]

In order of preference.

Yes.

Get Smart, MAS*H (although that went into the 80’s I think), Peter Gunn (for laughs), Mission Impossible (for laughs again), The Untouchables, Gunsmoke and others. Actually, I could name more old shows than new ones because the new ones just are not worth watching. I think time would be better spent trimming the grass with a pair of nail clippers than watch that garbage.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.