A Question of Baptism

Greetings!

As the subject line is evident, my question pertains to baptism. My situation is fairly unique, and I’ll try to keep it short and sweet.

I was baptised into the Catholic church as an infant. This was mostly to placate my very, very devout Memere (Grandmother, for those of you outside of New England grin) and my ex-catholic parents very rarely exposed me to the Church.

At age 12, I was “Dunked”, becoming a member of the LDS church. Needless to say, that lasted only a short time. 4 years later I officially resigned from the church (Took my name off the records and such).

For most of my life, I’ve been surrounded by and identify with the local Pagan community, though absolutely intrigued with all the different religions (especially christianity and the Catholic Church). I’ve dabbled in Buddhism, Hinduism, Mormonism, Satanism (I know, I know…Hey, it’s my insatiable curiosity!), Reform Judaism and Witchcraft/Wicca.

Now, at 22, I feel the Church pulling at me, and I’m very interested in taking my studies further, and possibly converting (However, with a hardcore pagan fiancee, it will make life EXTREMELY interesting LoL).

My question is: Does my LDS baptism at age 12 make my Catholic baptism invalid??

UGH! This is so confusing! LoL Thanks!

~Jessica

Dear Jessica,

Your LDS baptism does not invalidate the Baptism you received in the Catholic Church. Nothing can invalidate it!

But be very, very careful with the marriage thing. You say that you and your fiance have strong religious differences now. Well, it sounds like they are going to get stronger. Save youself the untold heartache that so many people suffer when children come into their marriage and such issues of religion remain unresolved between the parents. Religion has to do with the very meaning of life. Nothing matters more! Don’t put anything before it.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.