A Question on a Protestant's Salvation?

If a Protestant grows up in a oh let’s say a Baptist Church, falls away and commits all sorts of mortal sins, then repents and continues in his faith but denies the Catholic Church’s teachings (but is not anti-catholic, just disagrees with teachings on the Papacy, Mary, and confessing your sins to a priest) will they be saved if they are in heart felt devotional faith for God? I mean will God still forgive them their sins even though the individual denies the sacrament of pennace but believes you can go directly to Christ?

we can give all kinds of different scenerio’s, but it comes down to one simple reply. only god knows who he will save catholic or non-catholic

He can, we just don’t know how. We do not understand the mercy of God thru His son Jesus. We know that there is no salvation outside of the Church…but Baptists use water and Baptise in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Sprit…so in one sense they are Catholic…we recognize their baptism…they just are not in full communion with the Catholic Church. They don’t have the fullness of the faith that Jesus intended. We know that with “perfect” contrition you can have your sins forgivin outside of the sacrament of Penance…But perfect contrition is a very high bar…and we don’t know if we do have our sins forgiven outside of the sacrament. It is not ours to know how salvation can take place in God’s mercy. All we can do is pray and share the Good News.

Bless you.

Newby

If they were invinvibly ignorant of the need for confession, they may be saved. Check out these articles from This Rock:

catholic.com/thisrock/1991/9111chap.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1999/9907chap.asp

[quote=J.W.B.]If a Protestant grows up in a oh let’s say a Baptist Church, falls away and commits all sorts of mortal sins, then repents and continues in his faith but denies the Catholic Church’s teachings (but is not anti-catholic, just disagrees with teachings on the Papacy, Mary, and confessing your sins to a priest) will they be saved if they are in heart felt devotional faith for God? I mean will God still forgive them their sins even though the individual denies the sacrament of pennace but believes you can go directly to Christ?
[/quote]

Rather a game like let’s see how much we can get away with isn’t it?
Just from a Scriptural point:
Matthew 7:21 - Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 7:22 - Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Matthew 25:11 - Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

Luke 6:46 - And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Luke 13:25 - When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:

[quote=Tom]Rather a game like let’s see how much we can get away with isn’t it?
Just from a Scriptural point:
Matthew 7:21 - Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 7:22 - Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Matthew 25:11 - Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

Luke 6:46 - And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Luke 13:25 - When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:
[/quote]

It’s funny. Matthew 7:22 is often used in Protestant churches to describe Catholics. :slight_smile:

**“Outside the Church there is no salvation” **

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336
847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337 (MY BOLD) scborromeo.org/ccc/p123a9p3.htm#848

Only God will know if the person is truly ignorant of the Catholic Church and the free gifts of Grace given in the Sacraments. Or if they actually did know and understand the Catholic Church and the Sacraments, but made a free and personal choice to reject them.

CatherineofA, that’s because most Protestants misunderstand Catholicism and believe that they think they’ll get allowed into Heaven if they are “good” or “good enough.” But that’s not true. The Catholic Church has always be against the heresy of Pelagianism.

I would rather have a heart of compassion than the mind of a genuiess
God give you peace:)

Tom, in Matt. 6:46 and many alike passages I believe Christ is talking about “how you live your life.” Such as Adultry, false testimony, theft, constant pridefullness, murder, hatred etc. I’m sure there are many Protestants out there who live moraly better than some Catholics and vis-versa.

[quote=J.W.B.]CatherineofA, that’s because most Protestants misunderstand Catholicism and believe that they think they’ll get allowed into Heaven if they are “good” or “good enough.” But that’s not true. The Catholic Church has always be against the heresy of Pelagianism.

I would rather have a heart of compassion than the mind of a genuiess
God give you peace:)
[/quote]

Yes, bit it still goes back to “opposing arguments”. Protestants think Catholics misunderstand Protestantism and they think that they will get to Heaven because they observe rituals, have too strong of an observance on works, and have ideas set up by an institution. Protestants don’t care what Catholics consider heretical because they view Catholics as heretical themselves. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.