A question on Galatians 5

Hello, what does the bold below means

Galatia 5
[19] Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are fornication, uncleanness, immodesty, luxury, [20] Idolatry, witchcrafts, enmities, contentions, emulations, wraths, quarrels, dissensions, sects,

[21] Envies, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like. Of the which I foretell you, as I have foretold to you, that they who do such things shall not obtain the kingdom of God. [22]

I find that in thesaurus that reveling = luxuriate

So such luxury in the vatican a sin?:confused:

Thanks

Strong’s concordance G2970

revellings, κῶμος, komos

a revel, carousal

a nocturnal and riotous procession of half drunken and frolicsome fellows who after supper parade through the streets with torches and music in honour of Bacchus or some other deity, and sing and play before houses of male and female friends; hence used generally of feasts and drinking parties that are protracted till late at night and indulge in revelry.

Going to party to drink a little and enjoy some music, is it considered revelling? :confused:

Maybe all wordliness are not permissible in catholicism?

I still love my catholic faith. And whatever it means will try to abide by the scriptures.

1 peter 4:3
[3] For the time past is sufficient to have fulfilled the will of the Gentiles, for them who have walked in riotousness, lusts, excess of wine,** revellings, banquetings,** and unlawful worshipping of idols. [4] Wherein they think it strange, that you run not with them into the same confusion of riotousness, speaking evil of you. [5] Who shall render account to him, who is ready to judge the living and the dead.

Banquets are sinful too?

One time when in college I love drinking vodka and smoke. Enjoy some music and dancing too. After about 5 months I go to confession never do it again. But somehow now the temptation comes back, and I am struggling, because there are different views on smoking, drinking, music, and dancing too…but always controversial. I do not see any saints engaging in such activities.

But after reading the word revelling over and over again, and finding the meaning in the dictionary, I am quite convinced that drinking, dancing, can be categorized as revelling…

I try hard to mantain my purity during these times though. But lust is another topic mentioned in this passage besides revelry.

revel
[rev-uh l]

Synonyms
Word Origin

verb (used without object), reveled, reveling or (especially British) revelled, revelling.
to take great pleasure or delight (usually followed by in):
to revel in luxury.
to make merry; indulge in boisterous festivities.
noun
boisterous merrymaking or festivity; revelry.
Often, revels. an occasion of merrymaking or noisy festivity with dancing, masking, etc.

Drinking to inhebriation IS sinfull, drinking in moderation is not.

We need to exercise self control.

I have not been to the Vatican. Have you been there and witness the revellings? Do the folks there live in luxury and partying? Really?

Is attending a wedding party considered revelling? Because Jesus attended the wedding in Cana and I’d assume there would be drinking and merrymaking. A thing can become sinful when it is done overly excessive or with wrong intentions. Food , drink, sex, even work.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.