A question

Hello all,
I am new to the forums and I have a question that I am hoping someone will be able to help me with.
I plan on joining the Catholic Church very soon but I am worried about when the issue of my baptism comes up. I was baptized as a Lutheran 9 years ago but I have moved around quite a bit and as a result my baptism certificate has been lost. I currently have no one to vouch for me that the event took place either. My father and I are estranged and my grandmother passed on last Nov. (both witnessed the event). What will the Church do in this circumstance since I technically have no proof that I was baptized other than my word?

Can’t you contact the church in which you were baptized and see if they have a copy? Also, I’m sure the Lutheran priest who baptized you could vouch (maybe with some are twisting. I doubt he’d be happy to do it). Try that. It might work, but I’m not expert. :o

I had the same thing happen. I called the parish office, they connected me with a priest and he had me write out a statement that I had been baptized and that I had lost the certificate. (The church in which I was baptized was no longer there and I had no idea where anyone who had been associated with that church was). Now, that may not be what you will be told. If you cannot get a copy from the Lutheran church then call a parish office and start there - tell them the situation and they should be able to get you some info and help.

May God bless you on your journey.

Contact the Lutheran church where you were Baptized, I’m nearly certain they will have Baptismal records.

I contacted my baptismal church and they wrote a letter to confirm the nature and date of my baptism, which the parish priest found sufficient. I would do it as soon as you can though, as it took some time for me to get in touch with the church in question and I was panicking towards the end.

If for some reason you are not able to get proof of your baptism from the church where you were baptized, you could always have a conditional baptism in the Catholic Church. However I would be very surprised if the church where you were baptized was not able to provide you with proof.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.