A question

Hi everyone,so here’s my question

What’s so good about death movies like Final Destination,Wrong turn,Saw and anything of the like??

.I dont watch it,im not a fan of it.But I cant understand why its so popular among my peers.

I dont understand how they can stand the gruesome display of death.:eek: or a boy being crushed by a brickload or…well you know

Thanks in advance and happy new year 2012:)

I have no idea what the fascination is. :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Boredom. Use to be that even the worst movies didn’t have much gore. When a person got shot, he just fell down and pretended to be dead; the audience got the message. But notice that requires some mental ability in the audience, which apparently is lacking today.

Also, reliance on the graphic demonstrates some lack of creativity in the director. I’m going out on a limb here and say that a lot of liberals are fascinated and obsessed by death and communism. Most film makers are liberals. You can put 2 and 2 together.

I remember watching Final Destination years ago, I thought it was an interesting idea that death would come after them but I expected Satan himself to appear but no, just strange deaths.

Never watched Wrong Turn but the Saw films are disturbing and I worry about people who watch them.

I saw the first Saw film when I knew nothing about it and another one round a friends house as he had it on. All I could think was, whoever came up with this stuff need their heads examining.

Some people just love killing, slaughtering and pain.

I used to watch horror films in the hope that I would get frightened but no.

I have heard people at work talk about Joseph Fritzl like he is a celebrity.

I don’t know what the fascination is either. I remember being in a movie theatre some years back and a preview for “Saw” came on. I remember people actually LAUGHING outloud at some of the gruesome stuff that was shown. I just cringed and thought, “ewwww…how terrible.” Two things come to mind: 1) all the violence on tv and in movies and video games has desensitized the average person 2) I imagine some “not so average” people getting ideas from the movies. It’s enough to make you shiver. I was watching an episode of “Mother Angelica Live Classics” last night on EWTN and she was talking a little bit about Hell. She said something like, “Some of you are going to say, ‘Oh why do you want to scare everyone with talk about Hell?’ Your CHILDREN are watching scarier stuff in movies and in games. They don’t know it but they’ve seen Hell.” These movies are a foretaste of Hell.

I have not seen this movie, but I use to work in a theatre, and my guess is they were laughing at the campiness of it. There have been others made just for their camp: Eegah, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death, The Blob, etc. Actress Cassandra Peterson [the second Elvira, Mistress of the Dark] use to have a TV movie show in LA in which she would show campy horror movies and make fun of them during the commercial breaks.

Well, I agree that “The Blob” and B movies from the '50s and '60s were “campy”. We laugh at them b/c they are ridiculous and low-budget, etc. But they didn’t show people being hacked with a chainsaw. THAT is never funny in my opinion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.