A Question

I can almost guarantee that you will not be treated badly even in the slightest should you decide to convert to Catholicism. The Catholic Church is an ancient organization, and it has tons of experience with people converting to the Faith. It is one religion. It does have different flavors, so to speak, but the doctrine is exactly the same in all of those flavors. Protestantism has something like 30,000 different denominations, the differences between denominations sometimes coming down to such petty things as what instrument they play for church service. Naturally, you’re going to get about 30,000 different kinds of reactions from Protestants when you tell them about your family situation. Some reactions will be negative, some not so much. The Catholic Church is made up of people, and so there will still be a range of reactions, but I can almost assure you that no one will react negatively. I am a convert, and very few other people in my family are Catholic. People at my church generally either don’t really have a reaction when I tell them that, or if they do, it’s perhaps slight pity or something like that. Actually, it’s not rare to meet even a priest every once in a while whose family is not Catholic. There are even lots of saints who were converts.

No one in the Catholic Church is going to freak out when you tell them that your family are non-Christians. It’s really a non-issue. There are tons of Catholic converts whose families are in the same situation. The Catholic Church, as I said, is an ancient organization. It has a lot of wisdom in a huge spectrum of issues that Protestant communities simply do not have.

Like I said, non-issue.

I’m in the RCIA process myself, and let me tell you, I’m learning a metric TON about my faith which always confused me as a Protestant. Ya know those times when you are really confused about a seemingly obscure issue, either theological or moral, and the answer is an equally obscure and vague answer from scripture as given by the “elder”, “pastor”, or equally confused friend?

Well, what I’m finding, and already found over and over, is the Catholic response is along the lines of: Obscure issue #847392647? We have an “app” for that- and historically verified writings going back to such and such age, though earlier writings mention no conflict, and oh, here’s a bunch of specific scripture which forms a coherent picture of the issue. The answer is most certainly not some case of “just believe Brother! God will sort it out!”. Well, yes, through the grace He provides have faith in the issue being resolved, but, there are other things to consider:such as our role in bringing not only the WILL of God to effect but also the WORK of God, and in that, finding our answer: seek God first and you shall find God.

Does the Church have all the answers to all the silly questions we might throw at it out of rebellious challenge? Of course not. Even God doesn’t have the answer to a question designed to trap God, for the formation of such a question on that foundational intent negates the question entirely. We see this in scripture during Jesus’ many interactions with both the Sadducees and Pharisees.

However, if I am truly confused on something and seek the will of God in the issue, I have never been left unfed by either the Church or by fellow Catholics, even though they know I’m the only Catholic in the my family. :wink:

I’ve been nothing but accepted, and that, as I can tell, will never be excepted.

On the issue of authority and the “rules” (which may seem contradictory to certain theology)- My military service and time as an NCO taught me a very important lesson: rules are ultimately for the good of the individual, and through the individual, the body as a whole, and through the body as a whole, it returns in droves to the individual with spiritual fruit.

Everything I used to think the Church lorded over people, I now realize it retains FOR people.

I really hope you are able to receive the gifts which has been protected for 2000 years, for YOU, by CHRIST, through HIS Church.:thumbsup:

In the Catholic circles I’ve been around, I’ve never, ever seen anyone look down on someone because of where they came from. In fact, quite the opposite. Converts are often seen as having some kind of exciting story to their faith.

Are you familiar with Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta? She was Catholic her whole life. But her successor as superior general of the Missionaries of Charity, Sr. Nirmala is a convert from Hinduism. She is now leading a religious order of thousands of sisters, and is in no way inferior to any other Catholic. She’s just Catholic. There is absolutely no distinction between someone who was baptized as a baby and raised by devout parents, and someone who chooses this faith once they become an adult.

As Catholics, we can all just enjoy being where we are now, and where we are heading. Often, we help each other deal with our families when they are not supportive of our faith. Some of us come from historically families, but still face alienation because of our faith. Many in my family marry in the Church, have their children Baptized, and then send them to Catholic school. But these same people think nothing of bashing the Church or openly living against any teachings they don’t feel like following. I know I can bring my concerns and struggles to my Catholic community, and they will understand and be there for me.

I’m sorry about your negative experience so far. I hope you find God’s Will for you!

Yes, in fact as a “cradle Catholic” I sometimes feel a bit inferior (not that anyone tries to make me feel that) e.g. in RCIA sessions when the leader says, let’s each of us tell his own “faith journey” story. Many others have amazing stories of conversion to tell, and all I can say is, well there’s not much to tell, I was brought up Catholic, I’ve had a few wobbles along the way but never really stopped practising the faith and never really seriously considered leaving, and I’m still practising and will till the day I die.

Catholics are very open to converts. I admire them because they come with an open mind. There are many protestants that are very hard minded when it comes to Catholicism.

I recommend that you join RCIA and learn more about the church. RCIA isn’t just for people who want to join, it’s also for people who are interesting in just learning or refreshing their knowledge on Catholicism. They won’t force you to do anything that you aren’t comfortable doing,

Me and my brother joined RCIA by ourselves this past September and we’re those types of people are extremely nervous around groups of people and we both have social anxiety. When we joined, everyone welcomed us with open arms. They actually seemed very happy that we were there.

like this: Welcome Home!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.