a question

Hi, is it ok if I’m scared to be buried or cremated after death? Is this normal?

It’s perfectly natural.

In this life, you are your body; in fact, your body is what makes you somebody!

So the prospect of worms tearing one’s skin, or flames consuming one’s solid self, is hideous to think about. (It is for me! :()

If it’s any consolation, you will be too dead to care.

And it should be a consolation that you will be fitted with a new spiritual body (pneumatikon soma).

ICXC NIKA.

Yes, I fear burial, rotting in a box in the ground. What if I wake up and cant get out of the box, in the ground!? eewwww!! Spooky! hehe! I decided to be cremated at death and made the arrangements, so if it hurts, boy am I in trouble hehe! I trust that God will take my sprit away or I will be asleep, as when I went through surgery, I felt nothing, saw nothing, it was simply “Nothing” and I thought at that time, If that is death then that’s way Easy. I know in my heart that I am saved by Christ and so I do not fear death any more. Oh grave, where is thy victory? Oh death, where is thy sting?

Doesn’t it hurt?

There is no evidence to support the theory that death is painful in anyway, unless ones sprit is cast into the place of torment created for the devil and his followers. I believe its better to dwell on where we are to spend eternity than to dwell on the aspects of death its self.

I have thought about it, it is because the dead cannot speak and helpless of what is being done to them. Cremated (burned) or buried 6 feet under. Thus no evidence whether they would say it hurts.

The scriptures do speak of death and they never say anything about experiencing pain in the grave, or pain after death besides the torments of hell. Not one word about the pain of the grave, although death is often spoken of. Don’t you believe this would have been mentioned? The dead know nothing, those who are asleep in Christ, and so on, yet nothing about pain in death. If your adamant about believing in this pain then its an obsession you need to pray about in order to over come this, as God is not the author of fear, but of peace.

I think we all think about it,. But at the end of the day, does it really matter,

It is scientifically impossible that being dead hurts. Spirits, like the angels, have no bodies, and so they can feel absolutely no pain. Pain is caused by the nervous system, as a measure that indicates: “you shouldn’t be doing that.” People who have a defunct nervous system often times cannot feel pain. Imagine, then, if they lean on a hot stove. Their flesh will burn up but they won’t notice because of their damaged nervous system!

So your spirit can feel no physical pain, and your body, being dead, has a dead nervous system, and is not subject to physical pain.

I don’t think it’s weird that you’re a little afraid. I’m just the opposite, maybe even a little too eager-- I’ve always wished I’d have the foreknowledge so that I could dig my own grave!

I am absolutely certain of this, as much as I am about my own given name. Asking if they feel pain but just can’t tell us is like asking if a tree makes no noise when it falls in the woods with no one around. Take courage.

Thanks. What about the resurrection of the body we say every Sunday in the Creed if we are to be turned to ashes or dust by cremation or burial? I’m afraid if our bodies are crushed we can’t ressurect… Somehow

Not an issue. We do not resume the original body, we receive a spiritual body, pneumatikon soma.

Saint Paul said that we do not “sow the body that shall be” (1 Co 15). The original Human Body is the seed of the spiritual body; and seeds are destroyed by germinating the new life they hold, they do not survive, but the life comes forth into the new plant ‘body.’

Likewise our embodiments.

ICXC NIKA.

Hi, I’m thinking about 7 corporal works of mercy which includes burying the dead and how to perform them? How about Jesus’ burial as a model for this and Jesus’ tomb. Why can’t this tomb be available nowadays for regular people? Not the one that’s six feet under.

Well, because it is a place of prayer and pilgrimage, for one.

Not all locales have access to mountains or cliffs into which stone tombs can be cut. It’s too hard to do after someone has died, anyhow.

In Bible times, entire families used a stone tomb. Seven years after death, the bones were moved from the body-slab into a stone box (about the size of a large shoebox) called an ossuary, and these were stacked up in the tomb.

ICXC NIKA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.