A question

I have a question, would having a dream (involuntarily, you wouldn’t really be able to change it) and then having an orgasm because of such a dream be considered masturbation? (I think this would be called a wet dream?) :confused:

Nocturnal emissions are not equated with deliberate masturbation, because you have no control over the.

CCC. 1859 Mortal sin requires full knowledge and complete consent. It presupposes knowledge of the sinful character of the act, of its opposition to God’s law. It also implies a consent sufficiently deliberate to be a personal choice.

If you are not in control of your bodily functions, it is not a grave sin.

What if you wake up mid orgasm? Would that be considered masturbation? But thank you for clearing that up!

CCC. 2352 Masturbation is to be understood as the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure.

This is a question you need to answer yourself.

Simply do not consent and turn your thoughts to something else as you begin to be able.

If you are asleep you are not responsible. The answer to all your questions is “no”.

The OP specified, what if you wake up during it? This has happened to me once. I woke up, but near the “end”, at the point where it was already too late to simply stop - right before orgasm, where if you stop, you experience great pain and discomfort. (I don’t know if there’s a name for it in women, but I believe they refer to it as “blue balls” in men) In my case, I waited and did nothing to see if the feeling would go away, but it just grew very painful. Literally moving my legs a little was enough to “finish” so that the pain would go away. I confessed this as soon as I could, and the priest said it was probably not a mortal sin, but I literally don’t know what else I could have done. The pain wasn’t going away. All I did was move a little, and wasn’t trying to commit self-abuse, but I feel like maybe I should have done nothing and just hope that the pain would eventually stop.

maybe this from “Ask an Apologist” will help

Thank you all so much for answering my questions, Thank you :slight_smile:
For me I basically woke up right in the middle, basically there was no way stopping it.
But thank you for answering my questions.

NO. You cannot sin while sleeping.

It is actually not wrong at all for you to allow the emission to occur, even if you awake just before it, because nocturnal emissions are a natural and necessary part of a man’s health, allowing his semen to be expended during periods of no sexual activity.

It is a natural bodily function, which must occur, so there is no sin in allowing it to occur even when awake.

Remember, the sin is not the orgasm itself. The sin is any act which brings about orgasm in a sinful context such as masturbation or fornication.

The orgasm itself, and even the pleasure which comes with it, is not a sin.

Thank you, I know now that I have not commited a mortal sin, thank you all. :smiley:

What’s all this talk of pain?? You waited (doing nothing) and it grew painful? :confused: So your choice was to remain still in bed, suffering pain, or to move (perhaps it was time to get up?). Hard to see much wrong being done here!

The question has been answered, but to clarify for you:

The pain was due to holding in the emission just before the final moment when he was about to ejaculate, believing it would be a sin to release.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.