A quickened confession

Suppose the confessor would say “that’s enough” before the penitent would finish stating all his sins because the former feels that he is running out of time to prepare for the scheduled Mass. When the penitent is given the absolution, would all his sins be absolved if he intended to confess all of his sins?

If u intended to confess ALL of yours sins, but the priest cut you short then yes you are absolved of all of your sins and may recieve Communion.

I wonder if you can help me with a question about confession? I went to confession today for the first time in about 30 years, as I have decided to return to the church. I had spoken to my priest before hand yesterday, to let him know I hadn't been to confession for so long and that it would be quite long. He told me that he was delighted to have me return to Church and to come this morning during normal confession times.

I gave my confession, I was very upset and had written things down so that I wouldn't forget what I wanted to say, as I have memory problems. At the end of confession, the priest said to me to wait and he'd give me a phone number for marriage counselling. He then returned and gave me a blessing and said a prayer (I'm sorry I can't remember what prayer my memory is very bad) He then said to come outside to give me the phone number, but he never gave me a penitance. I was stunned because I thought that he would, but as we were now standing outside the confessional, and others were sitting waiting I didn't ask why he hadn't given me penitence.

So I went to the pews and prayed to Our Lords prayer and said the Hail Mary 5 times each, but I dont know if I have been forgiven? Are my sins forgiven what do you think I should do if anything. I dont want to appear rude and ask the priest as he had others waiting, and they could hear us. :shrug:

Can anyone give me some advice please? Thank you and God bless

:gopray:

[quote="Ellen_Mary, post:3, topic:318829"]
I wonder if you can help me with a question about confession? I went to confession today for the first time in about 30 years, as I have decided to return to the church. I had spoken to my priest before hand yesterday, to let him know I hadn't been to confession for so long and that it would be quite long. He told me that he was delighted to have me return to Church and to come this morning during normal confession times.

I gave my confession, I was very upset and had written things down so that I wouldn't forget what I wanted to say, as I have memory problems. At the end of confession, the priest said to me to wait and he'd give me a phone number for marriage counselling. He then returned and gave me a blessing and said a prayer (I'm sorry I can't remember what prayer my memory is very bad) He then said to come outside to give me the phone number, but he never gave me a penitance. I was stunned because I thought that he would, but as we were now standing outside the confessional, and others were sitting waiting I didn't ask why he hadn't given me penitence.

So I went to the pews and prayed to Our Lords prayer and said the Hail Mary 5 times each, but I dont know if I have been forgiven? Are my sins forgiven what do you think I should do if anything. I dont want to appear rude and ask the priest as he had others waiting, and they could hear us. :shrug:

Can anyone give me some advice please? Thank you and God bless

:gopray:

[/quote]

If he absolved you, you are forgiven. Your absolution is not conditional on a penance, even if he were to give you one and you forgot it or just didn't say it. You are good to go! :)

Oh thank you so much for replying. I was so worried that I had done something wrong.
:smiley:

[quote="Ellen_Mary, post:5, topic:318829"]
Oh thank you so much for replying. I was so worried that I had done something wrong.

:D

[/quote]

No, you're good. Somewhere along the line, a theory popped up that you aren't absolved until you do your penance, but the Church has never taught that. I know some priests that aren't big on giving penances. They feel that giving penances is like trying to make the punishment fit the crime, and then what penance would be appropriate for someone who is coming back to the Church after 30 years? Better to let the infinite mercy of God be sufficient, they say. (For the record, I don't like that line of reasoning, since the actual purpose of the penance is to remit temporal punishment and build virtue in place of vice, but I digress.)

So if you don't get a penance, it's appropriate to ask about it, at least to clarify whether he gave one or not, but a confession (and more to the point, the absolution) is perfectly valid whether you get one or not.

[quote="aemcpa, post:6, topic:318829"]
No, you're good. Somewhere along the line, a theory popped up that you aren't absolved until you do your penance, but the Church has never taught that. I know some priests that aren't big on giving penances. They feel that giving penances is like trying to make the punishment fit the crime, and then what penance would be appropriate for someone who is coming back to the Church after 30 years? Better to let the infinite mercy of God be sufficient, they say. (For the record, I don't like that line of reasoning, since the actual purpose of the penance is to remit temporal punishment and build virtue in place of vice, but I digress.)

So if you don't get a penance, it's appropriate to ask about it, at least to clarify whether he gave one or not, but a confession (and more to the point, the absolution) is perfectly valid whether you get one or not.

[/quote]

Thank you for your reply, I feel much happier knowing that. I am growing my faith from a long absence and have many questions. :)

Welcome back! That first confession after being away for so long is always a doozy! :slight_smile:

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.