A Quote against Faith?

I’m in a conversation on the existence of God. Basically someone said…actually I’ll just quote:

God came from the minds of scared human beings.frightened to die, scared to grow old, questioning humanity and how to behave. Seeing the stars and not knowing what the **** they are. Shitting in their pants and bowing to their knees when they saw the moon.You tell me? Where did God come from? Adam and Eve are as fictitious as fairy tales, and Jesus was an illusion of preists tripping on psychadellic mushrooms. Wake up, smell the aroma of that deliciously brewed coffee, knowing, it could be our last cup.

And I was offended and starting defending my position and of course other people had to join in. I’ve not yet attempted to “prove” God’s existence, merely backing the claim that my faith is reasonable. One guy randomly popped into conversation and quotes this:

"If the universe were just electrons and selfish genes, meaningless tragedies like the crashing of this bus [full of children from a Roman Catholic school] are exactly what we should expect, along with equally meaningless good fortune. Such a universe would be neither evil nor good in intention. It would manifest no intentions of any kind. In a universe of blind physical forces and genetic replication, some people are going to get hurt, other people are going to get lucky, and you won’t find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice. The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, and no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference."
Richard Dawkins, River Out of Eden: a Darwinian View of Life, 1995, BasicBooks, New York; ISBN 0-465-01606-5

Anyone have any pointers on how I should reply?

Get a copy of St. Thomas Aquinas’ Summa Thologica; go to the *Third Article, Whether God Exists?; *and bone up on the five reasons he gives. In my view it will either blow the Athiests’ mind or propel him to begin thinking in a new way.

I had it described this way, it makes sense to me -

Where does a watch come from? All of the precise parts working in unison, reliable, attractive and usefull. Who made this - a WATCH MAKER. This is certainly not accidental.

Where does an automobile come from? The powerfull, comfortable, complex parts all working in unison. Who makes this - a CAR MAKER. This is certainly not accidental.

Where does a tree come from? The majestic beauty, strength, usefullness, protective qualities. Who makes this - a TREE MAKER. trees are certainly not accidental.

How does the human eye work? The thousands of nerves precisly put together in the correct manner to adjust to light, darkness, accommodate dust, glare, etc. Who makes this - an EYE MAKER. Eyes are certainly not accidental.

Who makes a watch - a watch maker.
Who makes an automobile - an automobile maker
Who makes a tree - a tree maker - God!
Who makes the human eye - an eye maker - God!

Like I said earlier, it provdes me with all the proof I need that God exists.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.