a quote for word of faith people

Davidg Shields is a Christian Science “healer” practitioner.

Word of Faith ( name it, claim it) will say we can not trust our five senses. Kenyon who is the grandfather of WoF, attended a Christian Science school in Boston which is well known.

Quote:

We use the laws of God to a certain degree in the same way. If you are diagnosed with disease, a doctor says you have it and you believe it is going to kill you. Your fear has taken over and you are convinced there is no hope.

Now let us look at the situation from God’s eyes. He made you perfect like Himself . This is His law. This is what we work towards in treatment. We must understand the perfect reality and nothing else. This is happening through prayer. The patient begins to comprehend what God is telling him is true and what the five senses are telling him is a lie. The result is healing.

davidgshields.com/qa.htm

Well given the psychology in the Catholic Church from the Roman Confessional through the ritual of the mass to the family of the faithful, I am convinced that either the Lord had a PhD professor emiritus in Psychology or He is the Son of God :thumbsup:

It was Carl Yung who said ‘if secular society had the equivalent of the Roman Confessional, psychoanalists would be redundant’!

So I guess that makes Christ a psychology- Scientist at the very least :thumbsup: :wink:

I lived next door to a Christian Science family for almost 10 years. I went to church with them once, at their invitation. I read through most of Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy. Doesn’t make me an expert on CS by any stretch, and this was over 20 years ago, so memory fades. But, as I recall, CS claims that the physical is unreal, only the spiritual is real. Only God is real. All flesh, all disease of the flesh, is unreal. Getting healed of disease is all about realizing the unreality of the disease.

Recently I read somewhere that Christian Science is dying out.

It was also Jung (not Yung, he was German) who based all his ideas about the human mind on Alchemy. The three stages of the psyche in Jungian psychology are also the three stages in the production of the Philosopher’s Stone.

Rubedo–the Reddening.
Negredo–the Blackening.
Albedo–the Whitening.

Yes, it is basically mind over matter, and matter does not exist.

If you read S&H then you may remember the “scienctific statement of being”

Scientific Statement of Being

There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation, for God is All-in-all. Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal. Spirit is God, and man is His image and likeness. Therefore man is not material; he is spiritual.

Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p.468:9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.