A really weird question.

Hi just to clear the following, I’m not asking this as an insult, far from it I respect the Muslim religion, my first ever friend was a muslim. All I wish to clarify is a really weird thing I heard from a friend of mine who is a professed devout muslim. Is it true that in the Qu’uran it says those who commit treason must be crucified. I am inclined to not believe this but I just need clarification.

Pax Vobis.
Peace Unto You

There is a verse in the Quran that was revealed about a specific case during the lifetime of the Prophet peace be upon him. Where 8 people came to the Prophet peace be upon him and said they accepted Islam. They then complained that they can’t take the heat of Medina and wanted to leave and asked the Prophet peace be upon him to send a shephard with some sheep and cattle with them. On their way home they killed the shephard, mutilated his body and pulled his eyes out and took the sheep and cattle.

Therefore a verse was revealed that allowed for the severe punishment of these people. However at the end of the verse it says, if they sincerely repent then leave them alone. Treason such as this they will be punished and it doesn’t have to necessarily be crucifiction.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.