A refutation of the Masonic religion

Fire away.

** This is not meant for a debate about the Church’s classification of Masonry as a religion, but rather a thread for refuting the religion itself. **

Except that Freemasonry is not a religion, nor does it claim to be.

This thread was self derailed by its very premise. :rotfl:

-Tim-

They are a religion??

I have a friend who is a Freemason, and he’s atheist. I wasn’t aware Masonry itself was a ‘religion’. :shrug: :confused:

If freemasonry isn’t a religion, then who is the GAOTU, the Great Architect of the Universe they pray to?

To say that freemasonry isn’t a religion is to treat it simply as a kind of ‘gentleman’s club’. Freemasonry is dangerous, it is a religion, and it is anti-Christian. The Church doesn’t declare that someone is automatically excommunicated by being a member of a kind of secular gentleman’s club.

If you don’t agree with the Church on this matter, then please do not post on the thread. We are here to refute the religion itself. And Brendan 64 is right, Masonry is dangerous. I posted here to refute the beliefs of them.

While historically there has been some sort of requirement of belief in a superior power, I think some lodges accept atheists as members and explain the GAOTU as some sort of Spinoza-type pantheistic ‘deity’, where nature itself is ‘God’.

I won’t get into the polemics here (yes, I am aware there has been considerable animosity between the Church and Freemasonry throughout history) as I don’t think that’s what the OP is referring to. Rather, a refutation of the religious principles and dogmas of faith, if they exist, is what is asked for.

Bingo

scripturecatholic.com/freemasonfaq.html#faq04

This explains Masonic “landmarks” well.

A Freemason can never be an atheist. Did he lie to get in?

I assure you, his lodge does legitimately allow atheists in as members. His lodge has the understanding that the GAOTU isn’t necessarily an actual deity or higher power, but some sort of pantheistic ideal. Apparently, some of the French style lodges he’s associated with allow this.

The Freemasons in the U.S. is nothing more than a club for men. They accept all religions (most jurisdictions) and they don’t bash other religions. Bad part is that the GAOTU of the Universe is the God you believe in whatever God that may be and it is for this reason that Catholics are forbidden to join. If a catholic is a member they are in grave sin. DO NOT JOIN!

Freemasonry is not a religion but neither is a just a club for men.

Freemasonry holds itself up as the highest authority in matters of morals for their members. when two members differ on a point of morality they must obey the teachings, documents and leaders of Freemasonry. Members agree to this by oath.

This is directly opposed to the Catholic belief that the Church established by Christ is God’s authority on earth in matters of faith and morals.

You cannot serve two masters. You must choose one or the other.

-Tim-

This is my understanding as well.

I suggest a look at Mexico in the '20’s. Not so much the horrible persecution from the Freemason government, but to what (or whom) do we attribute to their defeat?

Here’s my refutation : Humanum genus. Google it.

I think everyone is aware Freemasonry has been condemned by the Church – what the OP is asking for is a refutation of their religious beliefs treated as such, independent of what the Church may think of them.

What the Church thinks of them, pretty much everyone knows. :shrug:

:thumbsup:

Unfortunately John Salza has linked up with some wackos but he still has good resources.

Index of articles on freemasonry

http://s5.postimg.org/41h7ml1fr/Instagram_photo_by_hollywoodcatholic_Jan_8_2.jpg

For myself I do not need any more proof than Humanum Genus. But…they use the King James version of the bible. Refute them on the same basis you would refute a Protestant.

They have to swear an oath of secrecy with death being the result of them not keeping the oath. Even if that’s for hee haw Catholics are not to do those things, if I’m wrong please tell me.

There are a lot of freemasonry books out there, their own books I might add, that start to dabble in gnosticism.

I would guess these would be the starting points of where to refute them.

I agree about John Salza, as well. He is a good resource for this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.