A Remarkable Statement by an Episcopal Bishop

The following is an excerpt from a recent article:

New North American Anglican grouping won’t last says gay bishop
Ecumenical News International
Chris Herlinger
Jun 29, 2009
New York

A new North American group claiming to embrace “traditional Anglican values” will not last long, the Episcopal Church’s first openly gay bishop has predicted.

Bishop Gene Robinson, an openly homosexual man living openly with a partner, whose 2003 consecration as bishop of the diocese of New Hampshire created a backlash among traditional believers within the U.S., church, told Ecumenical News International he does not believe the new Anglican grouping has long-term viability.

“A church that does not ordain women or openly gay people - I don’t see a future for that,” Robinson told ENI after delivering a sermon on 28 June at the First Presbyterian Church in New York City during the city’s annual gay pride festivities.

His response came after the June 22-25 assembly of the Anglican Church in North America, meeting in Dallas, Texas, formalised years of dissatisfaction with the Episcopal Church over policies that have included the ordination of women, permission to perform holy unions for same-sex couples and the consecration of an openly gay bishop.

:(:confused:

When I read the next to last paragraph I almost spewed my diet coke over the computer screen. Its unbelievable that a Bishop in a Christian chuch could actually say such a thing with a straight face. So the Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church, who collectively house the majority of the world’s Christians, do not have futures as well. :o

This certainly evidences the sickness within the Epsicopal church. To think that there is no future for traditional believing Christians. The future belongs to only those modern thinkers who are not encumbered with centuries of old worn out tradition and ancient belief systems. :shrug:

Go figure.

Jeff

It’s only remarkable if you’re not used to hearing +VGR’s usual boilerplate. It’s par for the course for him, if slightly more overreaching than usual… :rolleyes:

“A church that does not ordain women or openly gay people - I don’t see a future for that,” Robinson told ENI after delivering a sermon on 28 June at the First Presbyterian Church in New York City during the city’s annual gay pride festivities. :eek:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I prefer Diet Pepsi over Coke, Jeff, but I digress! LOL…

With ANYTHING you hear from the Episcopal Church, BELIEVE IT MAN! Half the time you’ll be tempted to think it’s a joke, a prank, or spam. No, it’s real. Take any bizarre belief you can find, throw in some paganism, a Buddhist bishop, feminism to the full-on farthest nether regions of the left wing, abortionists, and people who love Catholicism without all those pesky traditional beliefs, and voila, brother! It’s a frightening fruit salad!:eek:

The gravest threat to this new ACNA is NOT that it doesn’t allow the sickening sins that the Episcopalians embrace and love but rather that it isn’t traditional ENOUGH.

Many Anglicans, former ones like myself also, are disappointed to see that they are permitting individual dioceses to ordain women if they so wish. That’s a real let-down and a sign they aren’t 100% committed to orthodoxy. Also they are compromising as usual with the whole high church, low church, evangelical, etc. wings that don’t gel.

As GKC has pointed out correctly, this is like a slightly more conservative Episcopal Church without the lunacy (I added that last part! lol). They’re organizing it like the Episcopal Church with some of the same potential pitfalls.

If they had made a hard and fast ban on women’s ordination, that would’ve alienated Bishop Bob Duncan from Pittsburgh. He said that priestess ordination was a “deal-breaker.” I can imagine the sigh that came from so many like me who KNOW BETTER that female ordination is a total heresy.

I wish these folks well. I hope they listen to Metropolitan Jonah of the Orthodox Church of America and STOP ordaining women, purge the denomination of Calvinism, and reconcile with Orthodoxy. That’s such an exciting possibility but I think these Anglicans will squander it because they’re afraid of stepping on the toes of the women’s movement and looking too “old school.” It’s always PR over Christ.:shrug: Who knows, maybe in the end they’ll do the right thing and read some history…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.