A resource for my wife

Hi there.

I am in the process of coming back to the Catholic church. I must admit that I’m not doing a very good job of this process, but that is a different story. Tomorrow I am going to church for the first time in quite awhile.

My wife married me when I was a fanatical agnostic. She was raised outside of any church, but with some sense of Christianity. Overall, she is highly skeptical of religion and especially of the Catholic church. However, she’s an extremely charitable and kind person — much more than myself.

I am not looking to convert my wife in any way whatsoever. I would, however, like for her to help me along with my return to the church and also share in my experience. She has agreed to go to church with me tomorrow. I am clearly fortunate to have a partner who is willing to accept and support me at each stage in my life.

I would like to clear up some misconceptions that she has about the church. When I say “catholic”, she thinks “abortion, condoms, sex scandal, Papal authority, and fish on Friday”. I’d like for her to have a resource that explains the most basic principles of Catholicism, rather than the specific mandates and traditions.

Is there some extremely entry-level resource I could provide her that covers the basic teachings of the Catholic church? I’m looking for something that does not aim to convert, but something like, “So your husband is a Catholic…”.

Thank you in advance.

I would actually recommend something like "The Idiot's Guide to Catholicism" or "Catholicism for Dummies."

Have you started RCIA, or are you waiting until September?
While you are not trying to convert your wife, it may still be helpful if she sees what you are learning about the Faith through the United States Catechism of the Catholic Church for Adults.
You will more than likely find fliers in the back of the church addressing the most common questions and misconceptions people have about the Catholic church.
It is important that any decision she makes in the future regarding conversion be her own (and not merely to please you), just as your decision was/is your own. It is good that you appreciate her support even with the skepticism she has toward the Church.

[quote="phoooiee, post:2, topic:196955"]
I would actually recommend something like "The Idiot's Guide to Catholicism" or "Catholicism for Dummies."

[/quote]

Given a choice between those two, go with *Catholicism for Dummies *-- The Idiot's guide is inferior and possibly even detrimental. :twocents:

tee

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for resources to tell your wife. However, I just wanted to comment about 'I am not doing a good job about coming back to the faith'. Please don't be so hard on yourself. God sees your efforts and he is really pleased. He will give you strengh along the way. Be proud of yourself for trying. God is

CM

[quote="tee_eff_em, post:4, topic:196955"]
Given a choice between those two, go with *Catholicism for Dummies *-- The Idiot's guide is inferior and possibly even detrimental. :twocents:

tee

[/quote]

I second the choice of "Catholicism for Dummies", as I have heard from reliable sources that the other book is problematic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.