A rock and a hard place

Gonzaga Bulletin:

A rock and a hard place

Roommates Erik Fagan and Dan McIntosh, both seniors, may be  expelled this week after they used McIntosh’s pistol to repel a  late-night trespasser from the doorway of their 207 E. Sinto Ave.  apartment. 
  	         	 				Fagan answered a 10:15 p.m. knock on their front door Thursday,  Oct. 24. A friend having just left their apartment, he assumed the  friend had come back. Instead, John Michael Taylor, a felon who showed  them his ankle bracelet tracker in an attempt to intimidate them, faced  him. Taylor asked Fagan for money, and became agitated when Fagan turned  him down. 
  	                     When he sensed Taylor might enter the apartment,  Fagan yelled for McIntosh, who brandished his pistol, for which he has a  concealed weapons permit. Taylor quickly fled. Little did they know,  removing Taylor from their doorway would lead to potential university  sanctions. 
                                  Fagan, 21, and McIntosh, 23, rent their  two-bedroom off-campus apartment, No. 5, from owner Gonzaga University.  Complications arose after the men called both the Spokane Police and  CAMPO to report the trespasser, in doing so declaring the pistol to SPD  Officer Adam Valdez. SPD quickly apprehended the suspect, who was  arrested on outstanding felony warrants. Valdez congratulated the  students for safely warding off a possibly dangerous menace. 
                                  But according to the Gonzaga Student Handbook,  students may not possess weapons on campus or university-owned property.  This clause triggered an early-morning return by CAMPO and a residence  director, resulting in the seizure of two guns, including a shotgun  owned by Fagan.  This occurred at 2:30 a.m., more than four hours after  the initial incident. Director of Security Brian Kenny served the men  with hearing notices at 9 a.m. that morning. 

[sigh!]
I love the burglar showing off his ankle tracker to show how bad he is.

Hi, I am not advocating breaking University rules, but this clearly a case of self-defense. Furthermore they didn’t shoot anyone. Maybe someone could post a petition on Change.org to let them free.

It’s not a matter of setting them free. They are not in trouble with the law. They are in trouble with the University, which can be much worse, and whose ‘hearings’ can have life changing effects.

Reading the article, I am surprised that they will be allowed to have a supporting witness and a lawyer at the hearing. At many universities, when university policies are allegedly broken, students are presumed guilty, and are not allowed to have legal counsel present at a hearing or to call witnesses.

A couple things – the apartment is in a university-owned building but off-campus. I’d like to know what the lease says.
Since when do campus private security have the right to come and confiscate property?

I can make no judgment on this particular situation. But I have read Greg Lukianoff’s book “Unlearning Liberty—Campus Censorship and the End of American Debate.” He relates not only the astonishing restrictions on free speech at many campuses, but also the nearly complete lack of due process in some universities when students are charged with violations of university policy. The hearings often resemble star chamber hearings where the accused is presumed guilty, and has no right to counsel or witnesses.

Mr. Lukianoff is associated with the Foundation for Individual Rights In Education. His views are nearly polar opposites to mine on matters of politics and religion, but I agree with him about free speech and due process for students.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.