A saint who led a normal life: does anyone know any?

Does anyone know any of the saints who led a normal life?
Meaning he/she’s not a nun or priest or friar, but someone who chose a marriage life and a career, but is officially recognised as a saint. And also someone who live at the time as close as possible to us. (i.e, NOT St Ann, because she is someone who lived about 2000 years ago) I would like to read the story of their life.

Many thanks.

St. Giana.

St Therese’s parents, Louis and Zelie Martin, are both Blesseds. Obviously chose family and career. St John Bosco’s mother, Margaret Bosco, is also a Blessed.

St Gianna too is a great example - wife, mother and doctor, died in the 1960s.

I know this one isn’t from very recent times, but still very relevant and inspiring to anyone trying to combine career, family and spirituality - St Thomas More. Achieved an incredible amount in all three spheres, while remaining a very human and approachable character as well (with a great sense of humour).

St Elizabeth Ann Seton maybe - mother of five, ran a school in order to support them when she was left a widow.

My dear friend

The Unknown Saint.

We are all called to become a saint, whether we are priests or religious or laymen. Have you thought abut lookig into Opus Dei? Its a way to become saint as an ordinary person living and working in the modern world. It may be what your after

Check the links

opusdei.us/many locations world wide
writings by the founder escrivaworks.org/

They will make you a Saint if you really want it. Go for it.

God bless you dear friend:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

Mary, Jesus’ mom. She had an awesome vocation, but she is just a handmaid of the Lord.

My Grandfather! :wink:

OK - so he hasn’t been approved by the church. But what an example of kindness and generocity.

He would always say to my wife (or almost any other woman), “Did anyone tell you how beautiful you are today? - You are!”

:thumbsup:

Saint Bridget was married with 8 children, 1 of whom is known as Saint Catherine of Sweden. Now, no saints have lived ordinarily lives, if they did they would not be saints. They all lived exceptionally holy, in mortifications, penances and good works.

By the way, you can read the Revelations of Saint Bridget at the site below, you will also find free video at the same site.

The Prophecies and Revelations of Saint Bridget of Sweden
www.prophecyfilm.com

St. Gianna Molla… wife, mother and medical doctor!

http://www.devinrose.heroicvirtuecreations.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/st-gianna.jpg

Read about her, here:

saintgianna.org/

God bless!

I need to ask: What do you mean by a “normal” life, totallylost? Are you thinking of a nomal secular life? Would such a life be of any spiritual gain? Would normal be a Martha life or a Mary life. What about a normal CHRISTIAN life? Is there such a thing? Does the Bible say? Yes, the discription would be Mk.16:17 “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name they shall cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.” That is the normal Christian life. Not natural, but supernatural. If you need an example, read a bio of John G. Lake or Smith Wigglesworth.

Dear brother/sister,
No, by no mean I meant “secular life”.
Just “marriage vocation + career” life, not “religious life vocation” (i.e a nun, monk, friar, priest) That’s all. :slight_smile:

Peace.

St Maria Goretti.

I think I got the picture now. You’ll have to take Thomas More and the Martins (St. Therese’s parents) off your list. They were vowed Franciscans. St. Elizabeth Ann Seton also has to come off. Although, they were seculars. They were just in vows to the Franciscan way of life. She became a religious Sister of Charity.

You do have Pierre Giorgio Fragatti (sp?) A wonderful man.

Catherine de Hueck Doherty who is up for beatification. Was married and a mother. Her husband was a priest, Fr. Eddie Doherty.

Maybe someone can recall the name of the Ecuadorian saint that Pope Benedict canonized last year. She was a seamstress. I can’t recall her name.

If I can recall this name, I’ll be back.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :slight_smile:

St. Gianna Molla is exactly the type of person you seem to be looking for. There is a DVD of her life called Love is a Choice (Ignatius Press, 2005). It’s available for rental through Netflix.

Saints do not leave normal lives.

What is normal today, is gravely offensive to God - sin sin and more sin.

No.

Saints live abnormal lives. And that is a GOOD thing!

Bl. Matt Talbot (1856-1925) alcoholic

Ven. Pierre Toussaint (1778-1853) Haitian-born New Yorker, hairdresser, married

Bl. Franz Jagerstatter (1907-executed in Germany 1943) married, father of 4, one was illegitimate.

Good books: Married Saints and Blesseds by Ferdinand Holbock
Ordinary Suffering of Extraordinary Saints by Vincent J. O’Malley, CM

A great article on Franz Jagerstatter appeared in the Dec 08 issue of Liguorian

who wants to live a normal life anyway? We’re supposed to live holy lives.

Very true Bob, the bible says that the day will come when men will call good evil and evil good.

But i don’t believe that saints live abnormal lives. i think they live the normal lives. Jesus lived the most nomal life of all.

A few more that I did not see mentioned elsewhere: 1. Saint Monica was a wife and mother of Saint Augustine. 2. Saints Joachim and Anne were married and parents of the Blessed Mother. 3. Saints Zechariah and Elizabeth were married and parents of Saint John the Baptist.

I just wanted to throw something in here that seems to need clarification. I believe that the OP was asking for “normal” meaning those who are not members of religious orders or secular priests. If I’m mistaken, I ask the OP for correction.

If I’m correct, the OP does not mean that saints do not live heoric lives. Just that he/she wants to know about those who are not in religious orders or secular clergy. Therefore, those who were outside the conventual life, but were members of religious orders would not fit the bill.

For example, Matt Talbot, the Martins, Thomas More and someone else who was mentioned earlier were all Franciscans. They lived according to a rule of life. They belonged to a religious family. They did make vows in that family. Canonically, they are not part of the main body of the faithful. They are part of a religious family and they found their holiness and sanctity by observing what they had vowed in that family. Other examples would be from the Dominican family: Catherine of Siena, Martin de Porres, Rose of Lima, Pierre Giogio Frassati. They were all professed Dominicans. They are seculars, but they are not part of the main body of the fiathful in the canonical sense.

However, I have to say. These men and women are wonderful examples of how to live the Gospel, within a particular religious family, while remaining in the secular world to promote the spirit and love of that family. This is what these saints and blesseds did. This is very heoric and a very hard life.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.