A second and different Ebola outbreak hits Congo, the fifth infected African country

That makes five. The first was Guinea. Then, three days later on March 27, the World Health Organization reported that there were “suspected” cases of Ebola in Liberia and Sierra Leone. Months passed before the disease, which has now killed 1,427 people across West Africa, reached Nigeria in early August.

Now it’s the Democratic Republic of Congo.

“I declare an Ebola epidemic in the region of Djera, in the territory of Boende in the province of Equateur,” Reuters quotes Congo health minister Kabange Numbi saying on Sunday. But, he said, it appeared to be a different strain from the West African variety, which has hopped borders, forced quarantines from rural villages to overpopulated slums, and terrified a continent. “The epidemic has nothing to do with the one in West Africa,” the minister added.

washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/08/25/a-second-and-different-ebola-outbreak-hits-congo-the-fifth-infected-african-country/?Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

Wow. This is so sad. I hope they are able to contain it and eliminate it soon.

Doctor With Ebola Dies Despite Experimental Drug Treatment, Official Says

huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/25/ebola-doctor-dead_n_5707741.html

Interesting.

That is one of the more remote areas of the DRC (which is a pretty hard country to begin with to travel ) , which would lead me to believe that this is a completely separate outbreak from the ones in West Africa.

The two outbreaks are about 2300 miles apart

Is it possible that the outbreak was spread by travelers?

They are examining the virus to see if it is a new strain or not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.