A second look at Communion

A collection of my thoughts for public review, based on my recent change in Theology that forced me to leave the SBC. I’m almost Anglican actually, haha.

I. When Christ said “do this in remembrance of me” during the setting of Passover, he was referencing the OT festivals and there connection to “remembering”

II. To the Hebrew ANE mind to “remember” was not merely a cognitive state, but where one in the context of ritual meant “That which happened once with basic significance for the religious community is still present in its consequences, and the commemoration of the event renews these consequences in the faith of the worshippers”

III. Evidence A) God set the rainbow in the sky to “remember” his promise. Does God forget things? No, “to remember” was re-enact his promise. B) In the Passover (Ex 12-26-27), when the child asks what the rite means, the response is that God passed over “our homes”. The events of redemption from bondage were made present by the reenactment of a ritual, another example is the feast of booths (Lev 23:42-43)

IV. At the supper, Christ changes one key element, in remembrance not of just an event, but in remembrance of himself.

V. So the Eucharist must be a re-participation in Christ himself, with his death in view (as is shown by the elements being his “body and blood” and Paul comment that it memorializes his death until he comes)

VI. So the Eucharist is a re-enactment of his death, whereby we participate in him. And if Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God (Rom 10:7), where the “Word should be taken to mean Christ” then through participation in Christ Faith in increased.

VII. How can there be an increase in Faith without Grace? And if Salvation comes by Grace through Faith, then the Eucharist is a sacrament and means of Sanctifying Grace.

Comments welcome :slight_smile:

Good analysis. One thing: not only does the Eucharist commemorate Christ’s death, but also his resurrection. As St. Paul says, if there is no resurrection, there is no life (salvation) and no Christian faith. Other than that, your analysis is something good to chew on.

Pretty good analysis, care to share a little bit about your change of theology? Or not yet?

God Bless
Scylla

What seems to be lacking in your analysis is that the Eucharistic service (the Mass) is a true sacrifice, where the gifts of bread and wine are transubstantiated into Jesus and then offered in sacrifice to God the Father for adoration, thanksgiving, propitiation and supplication, according to the prophecy of Malichi 1:11:
For from the rising of the sun to its setting my name is great among the nations, and in every place incense is offered to my name, and a pure offering; for my name is great among the nations, says the LORD of hosts

The sacrificial nature of the Mass is implied in 1 Corinthians 10:16-21 where the Eucharistic service is compared to Jewish sacrifices and pagan sacrifices.

This sounds fantastic. You have a better understanding of it than most Catholics, likely.

I remember reading something on the Eucharist as a Sacrifice here (feel free to read it, I think it’s interesting) but they talk about the concept of “anamnesis.” Anyway, down in part IV, somewhat down, it talks about anamnesis.

Apparently, both Luke and Paul use this word when testifying to Jesus’ institution of the Eucharist.

And he also quotes these passages as using anamnesis:

Leviticus 24:7-9

And you shall put pure frankincense with each row, that it may go with the bread as a memorial (anamnesis) portion to be offered by fire to the LORD. 8 Every Sabbath day Aaron shall set it in order before the LORD continually on behalf of the people of Israel as a covenant for ever. 9 And it shall be for Aaron and his sons, and they shall eat it in a holy place, since it is for him a most holy portion out of the offerings by fire to the LORD, a perpetual due

Numbers 10:9-10
9 And when you go to war in your land against the adversary who oppresses you, then you shall sound an alarm with the trumpets, that you may be remembered (anamninesko) before the LORD your God, and you shall be saved from your enemies. 10 On the day of your gladness also, and at your appointed feasts, and at the beginnings of your months, you shall blow the trumpets over your burnt offerings and over the sacrifices of your peace offerings; they shall serve you for remembrance (anamnesis) before your God: I am the LORD your God.

Note that the first word is related to ‘anamnesis,’ but merely refers to recalling, but anamnesis refers to sacrifice. Cool. :slight_smile:

Psalm 38 Introduction
Psalm 38 A Psalm of David, for the memorial (anamnesis) offering.

Psalm 70 Introduction
To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David, for the memorial (anamnesis) offering.

Hebrews 10:3 But in these sacrifices there is a reminder (anamnesis) of sin year after year.

Very cool, though. At least when I first read it. Heh.

But I particularly loved how you put the re-enactment thing. The Catholic Church puts it this way:

1. "The Eucharist is the memorial of Christ’s Passover, the making present and the sacramental offering of his unique sacrifice, in the liturgy of the Church which is his Body. In all the Eucharistic Prayers we find after the words of institution a prayer called the anamnesis or memorial. "
  1. "In the sense of Sacred Scripture the memorial is not merely the recollection of past events but the proclamation of the mighty works wrought by God for men. In the liturgical celebration of these events, they become in a certain way present and real. This is how Israel understands its liberation from Egypt: every time Passover is celebrated, the Exodus events are made present to the memory of believers so that they may conform their lives to them. "

Anyway, I just loved that link.

The sacrificial nature of the Mass is implied in 1 Corinthians 10:16-21 where the Eucharistic service is compared to Jewish sacrifices and pagan sacrifices.

Yes. And besides anamnesis, Jesus also directly alludes to Moses:

Exodus 24:3-8
4 And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD. And he rose early in the morning, and built an altar at the foot of the mountain, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel. 5 And he sent young men of the people of Israel, who offered burnt offerings and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen to the LORD. 6 And Moses took half of the blood and put it in basins, and half of the blood he threw against the altar. 7 Then he took the book of the covenant, and read it in the hearing of the people; and they said, “All that the LORD has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient.” 8 And Moses took the blood and threw it upon the people, and said, “Behold the blood of the covenant which the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words.”

The sacrificial nature is a very cool thing once you understand it.

home.inreach.com/bstanley/true.htm

In reply to Knight4God’s OP:

You are not far from the Kingdom of Heaven.

I was once protestant, then Anglican (which is quasi-protestant). May I suggest you examine the matter of the Papacy with the same openness with which you have approached the Eucharist? As a former protestant/Anglican, I would be very happy to welcome you into the FULLNESS of the Faith.

As an Anglican, it was the Papacy which led me to the Catholic Church, for I could not deny its legitimacy, no matter how HARD I tried (and, believe me, I tried - and tried, and tried. And I’m a smart guy - I’m no idiot. If I *could *reasonably deny the Papacy, I would have, because I did not wish to become Catholic).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.