A Secret I have Learned That isnt So Secret

The generous life is a far more rewarding life. It’s that simple.

My sister had a friend that would confide in me back when I was in high school back in the days of crank-phones and gas wars. She, to be brief, was an unkind person, to be generous, but she was genuinely surprised that all the hateful spite she filled the world of people she lived among would came back on her. She could not see the relationship between how she would backstab, slander and malign other people on one hand and the same being done to her over time.

She wasn’t stupid, just very short sighted.

But it occurred to me then that maybe doing the opposite might bring a world full of good. What if I tried to say only kind things, avoided gossip and did my best to help people out? Would it come back to me in the form of good things, good friends and good vibes?

I hesitantly applied my newfound principle off and on over the years. Though I could see the logic, I just didn’t have the faith to follow it. Then I had an experience that opened my eyes to how well this not only brings you ‘good karma’, but how it can fill your heart with good feelings and trust.

The older I have gotten, the more I see that this works. Generosity is its own reward to rephrase an old saying.

It really does work folks, far beyond anything I could have imagined.

I still have lots of problems, but they are so much smaller in scope and the peace I feel now is just priceless.

Luke 6: 35-38
But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return;[c] and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish. 36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.

37 “Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; 38 give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For the measure you give will be the measure you get back.”

It really works, it does. I wish I had started living this way earlier when my kids were younger that they might have seen a better example of a father.

Wow, good for you!

Yeah, this simple lesson, if applied, would transform the world.

:thumbsup:

Well, you wouldn’t think it so, I guess by the worlds wisdom, but it does work.

Doo good by those in your life, relatives, friends or just people you meet and make yourself subject to giving them what they need. Tip waiters 30%, give money to beggars generously as you can afford, loan money to friends and tell them to not pay you back just loan it to someone else who needs it, get up in the middle of the night and drive to your friends place when they call asking for you, do chores for someone in your family even when they don’t ask, try to be cheerful and pleasant around people and never speak ill of them, etc, these things can change your life by filling it with charity.

And you will find a happiness that you simply cannot understand. Even when you have your bad moments, people will forgive you and see it as a moment that they can help you in return for the many times you have helped them.

If you have a lot of people who see such a thing as a negative, this becomes highlighted and you find yourself more often around those who love your attitude, and I don’t mean moochers.

Our Savior was right; it really works in THIS life!

Thanks for the great advice and insight. I always wonder why it is such a struggle trusting in God and His ways when He has shown us time and again it is not only good and His command, but what is best for us.

You are welcome. Just remember that charity should not compromise your duty to those you are responsible for. You still have responsibilities to yourself and those you love in your own family.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.