A sin not to go to the doctor?

If i have a smaller health issue (such as a bladder inffection, yeast infection, chronic headaches) anything of this nature and I KNEW IT WOULD EVENTUALLY go away.(as ive had it before) Or that i could treat it with a home remedy would it be a sin to do so? Sorry if this is confusing. Basically: is it a sin not to go to the doctor over a health issue. (One thatbis not life threatening or serious) thanks

Not for something really simple like a cold or flu, unless the cold or flu persists for over a week or the symptoms change. Bladder infections are an iffy one. I’d say if any illness interferes with your ability to meet your obligations such as housework, paid work or study, then you have a duty to get well as soon as you can, rather than letting the illness linger for lack of treatment. If a home remedy does the trick just as well as medical treatment then I’d say it’s fine.

Chronic symptoms such as headaches are often a sign of a deeper underlying problem - some of which may be very serious indeed. Prudence dictates that chronic or recurring medical problems need to be further investigated.

Whether failure to seek medical help rises to the level of sin depends on a number of factors - if help is far away or very expensive and/or your problem really is a very minor one then it most likely wouldn’t be.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:1, topic:314096"]
If i have a smaller health issue (such as a bladder inffection, yeast infection, chronic headaches) anything of this nature and I KNEW IT WOULD EVENTUALLY go away.(as ive had it before) Or that i could treat it with a home remedy would it be a sin to do so? Sorry if this is confusing. Basically: is it a sin not to go to the doctor over a health issue. (One thatbis not life threatening or serious) thanks

[/quote]

Matter of prudent judgment, not sin.

What i have does not affect me to do anything in any way. I am still just wondering if it is ok just to treat it at home and see if it gets better.

Megan,

What maks you think it is not ok to treat minor illnesses at home with over the counter remedies?

[quote="1ke, post:5, topic:314096"]
Megan,

What maks you think it is not ok to treat minor illnesses at home with over the counter remedies?

[/quote]

Scrupulosity....and im not too sure what it is that is wrong with me, but ive had almost all the symptoms of one thing. The first time it was really bad, but i used a "home remedy" and it eorked well. Now, in a short time its back again. And i was going to try to just let it heal and treat it at home (no medicine) and just let it clear up, but the i thought "oh no but what if this is a sin?" So thenni worried for days and the came here. Is all that ok?!? Is it against forum rules to mention what i have? Jusy to make it more clear.. i dont know but i think its a yeast infection.....

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:1, topic:314096"]

[/quote]

Most of us are not doctors. It would not be a sin unless it was something serious. For example, I think several days of chest congestion is serious these days because it is very easy to get pneumonia. You should go to the doctor for that.

You should also get keep your basic set of shots up to date - and don't forget tetnus, I knew some one who got it from stepping on a nail and he got tetnus and was dead in three days. Another cut himself while painting his house. He was dead the next day.

Since you are living with your parents, you should follow their advice. And by the way those yeast infections are not as insignificant as you may think. A neighbor girl across the street had to go to the hospital because of that. She was very sick for about two weeks. :thumbsup:

Listen to your parents. Go to the doctor. This is common sense and not a sin issue.

Not everything is about sin. Infections can be serious. Symptoms you think may be one thing, may be something worse.

Priests, religious and devout people go to the doctor all the time. God gave doctors a gift to help us heal - let them use that gift.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:6, topic:314096"]
Scrupulosity....and im not too sure what it is that is wrong with me, but ive had almost all the symptoms of one thing. The first time it was really bad, but i used a "home remedy" and it eorked well. Now, in a short time its back again. And i was going to try to just let it heal and treat it at home (no medicine) and just let it clear up, but the i thought "oh no but what if this is a sin?" So thenni worried for days and the came here. Is all that ok?!? Is it against forum rules to mention what i have? Jusy to make it more clear.. i dont know but i think its a yeast infection.....

[/quote]

You need to talk to your priest if you are scrupulous.

You need to consult a physician if you are ill. We cannot give medical advice here.

Ok thanks. I will talk to my mom about it.

[quote="sojo, post:8, topic:314096"]
Listen to your parents. Go to the doctor. This is common sense and not a sin issue.

Not everything is about sin. Infections can be serious. Symptoms you think may be one thing, may be something worse.

Priests, religious and devout people go to the doctor all the time. God gave doctors a gift to help us heal - let them use that gift.

[/quote]

Thanks for that last part. That helps a lot.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:10, topic:314096"]
Ok thanks. I will talk to my mom about it.

[/quote]

Go to the doctor. I put off going to the doctor for a bladder infection and it turned into a kidney infection. I knew when I had pain in my side that things were not going in the right direction and I went to the doctor and got on antibiotics. I could have saved myself some pain if I'd gone right away. I was trying home remedies too. Just go to the doctor.

MF forget sin for a moment. Why don’t you want to go to the doctor for an obviously chronic and dehabilitating sickness?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.