A sin to miss Mass or

I’ve read that it’s a sin to miss mass when you perhaps work unnecessarily on a sunday. I just my question is is it considered a sin to miss the Mass or a sin to work on sunday at all? I assume it pertains to just Mass.

From the CCC:

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

The charity of truth seeks holy leisure- the necessity of charity accepts just work.

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees.

2188 In respecting religious liberty and the common good of all, Christians should seek recognition of Sundays and the Church’s holy days as legal holidays. They have to give everyone a public example of prayer, respect, and joy and defend their traditions as a precious contribution to the spiritual life of society. If a country’s legislation or other reasons require work on Sunday, the day should nevertheless be lived as the day of our deliverance which lets us share in this “festal gathering,” this “assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven.”

In other words, observing the Lord’s Day is not just about participating at Mass…

It depends what type of work. For example, you shouldn’t volunteer to work on Sunday if there are other times available. However, if you are in some sort of life-saving profession (doctor, nurse, police, fire, etc.) then it is acceptable if you need to work on Sundays.

This is just my opinion, but if your employer doesn’t give you a choice (large project due, reduction in head count, etc.) then God will understand if you have to work (make sure you catch Saturday vigil Mass).

I think we can all reasonably determine when we **have **to work on a Sunday vs. **wanting **to work on a Sunday.

It’s not a sin to work on Sunday, in and of itself (what work one does, or why one is working may involve considerations that could make it sinful…but without knowing more context it’s not correct to say simply working on Sunday is sinful).

Catholics are obligated to celebrate Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of obligation. If something prevents one from fulfilling that obligation it’s a problem that should be discussed with a priest/confessor.

Here’s a sermon on keeping Sunday holy.

Don’t take Sunday for granted as just another day. . It should be categorically different for you from every other day of the week, from beginning to end. This is for our soul’s own good, the peace, the especial focus on God, and lack of labor. :slight_smile:

You have to not engage in unnecessary physical labor and work. Make it a spiritual day as entirely as can be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.