A single Antichrist : Why do some Catholics reject this?

I recall some fellow Catholics saying that they don't believe in a particular "THE" Antichrist but only in many antichrists as per the first epistle of John which states :

"Little children, it is the last hour; and as
you have heard that Antichrist cometh,
even now there are become many
Antichrists
: whereby we know that it is the
last hour."
1 John 2:18

The problem with this position is that John clearly singles out a particular person as "Antrchrist" or in his words :

"Little children, it is the last hour; and as
you have heard that Antichrist cometh,
even now there are become many
Antichrists: whereby we know that it is the
last hour."

Even Paul testifies to the idea of a single man as the Antichrist :

"8And then the lawless one will be revealed,
whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the
breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendour
of his coming."
2Thessalonians 2:8

I honestly understand that as there are many antichrists that have already come into the world...They are all but runners up to the Man of Lawlessness,the Man of sin (2 Thessalonians 2:3). The Beast(as per the Book of Revelation), Son of Perdition(2 Thessalonians 2:3). or better known as THE Antichrist.

How can some Catholics reject the idea of a single person as the Antichrist when the idea is clearly taught in scripture?

The danger in thinking of one antichrist is that that it can divert our attention from the many antichrists that constantly surround us. We live in a world of invisible but influential demons who surround us and whose temptations whisper - sometimes shout - to us. A single antichrist is easy to oppose, due to his ugliness and obviousness. More corrosive to our souls are the many unseen minions of the devil who seek daily to lead us away from all that is holy.

I always thought there was only one. But I think maybe this is a case where there is just one Antichrist, but many antichrists. Kind of like there is only one Devil (Satan) but lots of devils and lesser demons

Exactly, 1 antichrist will be at the end like there will also be a 1 false prophet, and many antichrist are the people that are in the world who basically are against God and will do what they can to lead people away from Christ; think athiests attacks on Christians for example. And then there are those who say they are Christians, but really aren't.

[quote="Wandile, post:1, topic:286640"]

How can some Catholics reject the idea of a single person as the Antichrist when the idea is clearly taught in scripture?

[/quote]

Maybe to their way of thinking AN anti-Christ at THE end is THE anti-Christ.

Because that’s what they told me in RCIA. So, do you have a Church document on it? Not the CC, though, it’s clear as mud on the topic. (Well, rusty water, anyway.):

The Church’s ultimate trial

675 Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers.574 The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth575 will unveil the “mystery of iniquity” in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.576

676 The Antichrist’s deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgment. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism,577 especially the “intrinsically perverse” political form of a secular messianism.578

I would rather look at it as a “beam and mote” situation. The more we get obsessed in looking for an anti-Christ, the less we look at our own imperfections. I would rather say` that a number ways of thinking are of the spirit if the anti-Christ, than pin it all on a certain individual. Hitler couldn’t have done what he did without his lieutenants and generals.

[quote="Julia_Mae, post:6, topic:286640"]

The Church's ultimate trial

offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth.

[/quote]

Nothing to do with the end-times, but sometimes I do think people turn to Government for a solution to their problems as the expense of turning away from truth.

Teresa of Avila comes to mind.

Let nothing disturb you.

Let nothing frighten you.

All things are passing.

Only God suffices!

Evil will come and go, the Indefectibility of the Church remains intact.

google.com/url?q=http://www.catholicbook.com/AgredaCD/MyCatholicFaith/mcfc069.htm&sa=U&ei=gqfKT92nEYnM9QT2sZXuDg&ved=0CB4QFjAE&sig2=KvS9pcCOTONrgWeWXQ77rg&usg=AFQjCNHkH8O8EqMmzVnI6xUMERGdzgtYIw

One antichrist or many antichrists, what’s the difference? They are all devils whose work is against the work of Christ. We should be vigilant therefore, all the time. Just kidding. I don’t know much about this subject but that’s what I think which is more important to me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.