A Sinner For Life?

Hello!! I was just curious to see what the Catholic Church feels about my situation. I am a 26yo practicing Catholic and single mom who recently got engaged and now live with my fiancee, who is also Catholic. Are we living in sin? If so, is it a mortal sin? Please enlighten me.

If you are not living as brother and sister, then yes, you are committing mortal sin according to Church teaching. The best thing to do is to go to confession and live as brother and sister until your wedding day. (Even better is to not live with each other, so that you are not putting yourself in the near occasion of sin). I would suggest that, as a mother, you may also want to consider the message that your child is picking up by your situation. Now, if you are living as brother/sister already, then the caution flags are still raised, but you are not committing mortal sin.

If this is your first time getting married then i have no idea…better yet, listen to someone else; never even had a girlfriend yet:)

this is really a no brainer-as first poster said, if you are intimate with your fiance, you are comitting a mortal sin. I would think if you are a Catholic, you would know this, right?

[quote="tiffanyb, post:1, topic:2125"]
Hello!! I was just curious to see what the Catholic Church feels about my situation. I am a 26yo practicing Catholic and single mom who recently got engaged and now live with my fiancee, who is also Catholic. Are we living in sin? If so, is it a mortal sin? Please enlighten me.

[/quote]

Yes it would be a serious sin. The sin is called fornication, sex between two unmarried people of the opposite sex. There are references to it in the Bible. If one or the other is married, then it is adultery. And being a mom, there is the real possiblity of scandal to your children, that is, teaching them by bad example.

Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith: "Now according to Christian tradition and the Church's teaching, and as right reason also recognizes, the moral order of sexuality involves such high values of human life that every direct violation of this order is objectively serious." CDF, Persona Humana, n. X.

I believe living with a boyfriend or girlfriend before marriage is sinful. My sister is living with her boyfriend. I also understand what it is like to be tempted to live this way. I have had boyfriends want to live with me before wedlock, and I'm glad I didn't.
The thing about sin is that any sin can be forgiven on earth ( except blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.) I don't believe any sexual sins are unpardonable. I have known people who have done that, and eventually repented and married the person they were living with (or left them.) This happens pretty often. So I don't necessarily believe it is a mortal sin. It can lead to death if repenatnce never happens, but if you choose to repent you will be forgiven.

Not sure where the title came from.

But yes those who are to be married need to prepare for marriage chastely...

Living together before marriage is not the way to do such.

I would invite you to remedy this...(it is also harmful for the future marriage) and to know that Jesus loves you...and can (when we repent) then forgive you in confession. In him is true life!

pacatholic.org/marriage-family/living-together-without-commitment-harms-marriage/

catholic.com/quickquestions/why-is-living-together-wrong-if-were-committed-to-chastity

Can living together "chastely" still be a mortal sin? Yes.

[quote="gomer_tree, post:2, topic:2125"]
Now, if you are living as brother/sister already, then the caution flags are still raised, but you are not committing mortal sin.

[/quote]

catholic.com/quickquestions/why-is-living-together-wrong-if-were-committed-to-chastity

Hello!! I was just curious to see what the Catholic Church feels about my situation.

[/quote]

The Catholic Church doesn't "feel" a certain way about any particular circumstance. The Catholic Church does, however, speak openly about what it knows to be the truth.

I am a 26yo practicing Catholic and single mom who recently got engaged and now live with my fiancee, who is also Catholic. Are we living in sin? If so, is it a mortal sin? Please enlighten me.

[/quote]

If you and your fiance spend your time holding hands and thinking pure thoughts, it isn't sinful, however, living together (even as brother and sister) is a high risk situation which should be avoided... as Catholics we are taught to "avoid the near occasion of sin".

If you and your fiance are sexually active to any degree (this even includes "petting"), than that is considered to be a mortal sin by the Catholic Church.

Since you are both Catholic, it might be in both of your best interests to consult a priest and discuss the issue with him.

[quote="RastaPasta, post:11, topic:2125"]

If you and your fiance spend your time holding hands and thinking pure thoughts, it isn't sinful.

[/quote]

See the post above

[/quote]

I suspect that if you are a practicing Catholic you know the answer to your question without having to ask here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.