A sort of picky question about kneeling

When Catholics genuflect before they take their seat in the pew, exactly what are they genuflecting to? The body and blood of Christ? If so, I thought the wine and bread didn’t turn into the body and blood of Christ until it is consecrated by a priest?

It doesn’t, but there is always consecrated Hosts kept in the Tabernacle. If there is no tabernacle on the altar, one only does a bow to the altar before sitting.

When Catholics genuflect before they enter the pew, they are genuflecting to the Body of Christ in the tabernacle. The tabernacle contains a ciborium (a gold cup on a pedestal with a gold lid) and in the ciborium is the Body of Christ in hosts consecrated at a previous Mass. Extra hosts are always consecrated at Mass for the purpose of taking Communion to the sick and the shut-ins during the week. No consecrated wine is ever kept in the tabernacle.

Absolutely - although some Catholics absentmindedly fail to make the distinction and will genuflect before the altar even when the Tabernacle is kept elsewhere.

It’s true that there are always consecrated hosts in the Tabernacle - these are kept in reserve for occasions when there are more people than expected receiving at Mass, or when priests or other ministers will take Communion to the sick, homebound, imprisoned and so on.

I’d also like to add, that sometimes people genuflect when there is no tabernacle present, but either because they don’t know or mixed it up. I do that a lot because I’m going between churches with a tabernacle and those without and without thinking start to genuflect and then realize my mistake.

The tabernacle contains a ciborium (a gold cup on a pedestal with a gold lid) and in the ciborium is the Body of Christ in hosts consecrated at a previous Mass. Extra hosts are always consecrated at Mass for the purpose of taking Communion to the sick and the shut-ins during the week. No consecrated wine is ever kept in the tabernacle

Ah good…thanks. I’ve seen the gold thing before…I can’t remember if it was real life or TV. If there are always consecrated hosts, that makes sense.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.