A stupid question...

This is a bizarre and stupid question but where is the soul located in the body? :o

[quote=Paris Blues]This is a bizarre and stupid question but where is the soul located in the body? :o
[/quote]

Does it even matter???

[quote=Paris Blues]This is a bizarre and stupid question but where is the soul located in the body? :o
[/quote]

Start at the toes and proceed to the tippy top of your pretty little head. There’s your soul.

Paris -

I do not have the answer to your question. However, I feel compelled to say that the only “bizarre” or “stupid” question is the one that remains un-asked. That is a very good question you posted - I look forward to the answer!

Karen

[/quote]

The Soul is a Spirit. It does not have physical qualities such as mass, dimentions or weight, nor does it require a physical location.
People are both physical and spiritual beings. Angles are pure spiritual beings.

God Bless

the soul animates the body, it is spiritual in dimension so does not occupy physical space, so cannot be identified in any body location. the soul animates the entire body until death, when the soul is separated from the body (until the resurrection on the last day)

[quote=puzzleannie]the soul animates the body, it is spiritual in dimension so does not occupy physical space, so cannot be identified in any body location. the soul animates the entire body until death, when the soul is separated from the body (until the resurrection on the last day)
[/quote]

Ahhh…that makes more sense!:wink:

[quote=puzzleannie]the soul animates the body, it is spiritual in dimension so does not occupy physical space, so cannot be identified in any body location. the soul animates the entire body until death, when the soul is separated from the body (until the resurrection on the last day)
[/quote]

However, there are parts of the body that can be removed without affecting the status of the soul. We can at least eliminate those parts as the “location” of the soul.

DaveBj

[quote=DaveBj]However, there are parts of the body that can be removed without affecting the status of the soul. We can at least eliminate those parts as the “location” of the soul.

DaveBj
[/quote]

That’s an intersting proposition. How much can we take away? Is the brain what’s necessary?

[quote=Genesis315]That’s an intersting proposition. How much can we take away? Is the brain what’s necessary?
[/quote]

Or what if your head got chopped off??

I don’t think the soul is of physical matter but believe it is at work, in our hearts. It seems connected to us somehow and tied to our ability to have emotion and reason?

When my former husband passed away, he let out his final breath, at the same time it seemed as if he were trying to hold onto it. I remember thinking, as I was hurried out of the room by the attendant while they tried to revive him, he is gone. Some how it was final and my being knew it.

This is a great question to ponder. Don’t think we will have the true answer, at least while we are in our bodies.

[quote=Paris Blues]Or what if your head got chopped off??
[/quote]

Hahaha, actually that’s my point. People can have artificial everything these days. If you’re just a head on a machine, is the soul still there? I would say yes. But a full body with an artificial brain would probably not–or would it? Does that mean the soul is linked to the brain? I mean, our rationality is what makes us in the image of God. What do you guys think?

[quote=Genesis315]Hahaha, actually that’s my point. People can have artificial everything these days. If you’re just a head on a machine, is the soul still there? I would say yes. But a full body with an artificial brain would probably not–or would it? Does that mean the soul is linked to the brain? I mean, our rationality is what makes us in the image of God. What do you guys think?
[/quote]

My point (and I was rather cryptic about it) was that you can be missing a lot of things, including a functional natural heart, but as long as the brain is alive, the soul is present. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that the brain is the location of the soul, but it is certainly a requirement for the soul to still be in residence in its “earth suit.”

DaveBj

Well, this may not be true for everyone, and maybe it’s just the power of suggestion from reading works on Eastern meditation practices, but I am always aware of a special kind of energy and force located right in the center of my body, around the navel area–the viscera. I feel it more strongly whenever I am praying, thinking deeply, or meditating. If I concentrate hard enough on it, it almost feels like my physical body disappears!

I also find that it responds differently to thoughts and emotions…almost as agreeing or disagreeing. I can always tell whether an idea is a good idea or a bad idea. I guess maybe that’s where the term “gut feeling” came from, or “trusting one’s gut instinct”! :slight_smile:

~The soul of the eye is vision.

~A marble stone and a sculpture are 100% marble. So which part of the sculpture is art?

[quote=Genesis315]That’s an intersting proposition. How much can we take away? Is the brain what’s necessary?
[/quote]

Matthew 10:28 Do not fear those who deprive the body of life but cannot destroy the soul. Rather, fear him who can destroy both body and soul in Gehenna.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.