A teenage Christian in India

Hello guys. This is my first topic and post, so let’s get a little in-depth about me.
I’m an Indian. Born as a Hindu, as much as I am ashamed (you’ll understand, not “ashamed” in a general sense, but you’ll see later) to say, I am being forced to act, walk, talk and live like a Hindu. Unlike Europe, Asia has strong grip of racism. Even High School forums require religion “certification” before joining.

Why I am shamed of my “mother country”, is that it is filled with sinners. Not even its theology makes sense, their gods cursed and even killed mortals, unlike our Lord and Savior, Jesus, who died for us…What I hate about India is how much they put religion as a public thing rather than a pure private thing. Even my parents say that I should be a Hindu, not a Catholic.

I am not planning to stay in India my entire life. After I get my scientist degree (B.S in computer science), I’m going to fly to England. But, as the people around me complain of me having a religion, a personality, my faith around Jesus is losing…

I hate India and its religion, they don’t follow their own religion’s rules (Devil, do they even have rules? See my classmates, and my neighbor) and force their false religion on my throat. Do I choose three Gods, with Forgiveness so kind to forgive even a bad person like me even after he comes treachery against Them, or some billions of gods that will curse me if I don’t follow their retarded traditions? I chose the former.

My faith on Jesus, Mother Mary, God, and the Holy Spirit is strong. But even it is getting losened, as people are forcing me to be a Hindu. Yesterday, my classteacher told us to fill out forms, that of course, included religion.

My parents wrote ‘Hindu’, which was right next to ‘Christian/Catholic’.

I was so insulted, so agonized…religion is not a private matter for them. It’s not about my parents, they’re not the only one against my faith, but it’s about society. I was insulted, I was sad. The kid who has 10/10 score in almost all subject ,shouldn’t have his own religion.

What can I do? Why He is letting this happen?

If you don’t have access to a Catholic priest, I would encourage you to e-mail one of the apologists on here.

All I can say at this point is in order to strive for saintly perfection; we need to obey our parents (though not to the point of being Hindu), but I’m not really sure how that would apply in your case.

I don’t know who catechized you or if you just misspoke, but there are absolutely NOT “Three Gods.”

There is only One God, Who exists as the Blessed Trinity: the Father, the Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit, Three Divine Persons in the One and only God. Amen.

Choose God, choose holiness, and leave sinfulness and backwardness in India behind. If that means leaving your family, then so be it. I would rather die than turn my back on Jesus. I love God with all my heart, all my soul, all my mind, and all my strength and it will always be this way. Amen.

May God bless you and keep you safe! :slight_smile:

Do you have access to a Priest? If you do, you should get baptized if you’re already not. If you don’t have access to a Priest, and therefore no one to baptize you. You’re fine. God will save you by baptism of desire. Just live like a Christian, by our moral standards.

Don’t give into people who are forcing you, tell them you’re a Christian. If they persecute you let them. Don’t try to fight back. Don’t return evil for evil. Do good to those who do bad to you. (Luke 6:33, 1 Peter 3:9, Matthew 5:39) Jesus said, “***Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.***” - ***Matthew 5:10 *** You may be persecuted, but in the end, you will have greater rewards. Many early Christians were told to sacrifice to the gods for Rome, but they didn’t do it. So they were persecuted and martyred for their faith. But, we know they saw the glory of God. Chapter 20 of Revelation tells us the martyrs took part in the first resurrection. The first resurrection was the resurrection of Jesus Christ, it made the martyrs able to rule over the earth with Christ for the millennium. (The millennium is symbolic for the church age.)

Do what is right, don’t do what the pagans do. Follow Christ, do what he did. And not only for yourself, but help others. Help them find the truth of Christ. For they are sinners, and they need healing. Christ can heal them. :slight_smile:

I notice how you said three gods… umm… no. Three persons you mean. Christians believe in one God who exist as three persons. They are not three gods. There is only one God who exist as the Father, Son, Holy Spirit. The Father is not the Son or the Holy Spirit, the Son is not the Father or Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is not the Father or Son. The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God. They are all equal, all eternal, and all the one true God. How can three persons be one being, it’s a mystery. There is a tale about Saint Augustine on the Trinity. The tale is that Saint Augustine was walking along the beach trying to figure out the Trinity. He then saw a boy taking water out of the ocean and dumping it into a hole he dug. Saint Augustine asked the boy what he was doing. The boy replied, “***I am trying to put all the water in the ocean into this hole.***” Saint Augustine laughed and said, “***Boy, it is impossible for you to fit all the water in the ocean into this small hole.***” The boy then replied, “***Just as it is impossible for a man to comprehend the Trinity.***” Then the boy disappeared because he was an angel sent by God to tell Augustine he will never figure out the Trinity 100%.

Hello, Benzodiazepine! What a wonderful choice you have made by following Christ. Congratulations!

No matter where you live, there will always be some who will challenge your faith. Some will say it is wrong, some will not understand, some will be mean. Be true to your new faith. Try not to hate India and the people there—they simply have not found Christ. And India isn’t the only place with people who have not turned to Christ or who are sinners. The entire world is filled with sinners. I am a sinner. If Jesus had hated the sinners and walked away, well, we would be in a very bad way.

Keep your faith and talk to Jesus. I understand why you asked why is He letting this happen. Being a Christian doesn’t mean everything in life will be easy street. But I pray you take another step into your faith and know that by having this before you now, you will be better prepared for the future. Just as you are in school now, preparing you for that future job. Always keep a conversation with Jesus. If you don’t understand something, tell Him you don’t understand and ask Him to help you see things differently. You feel strongly towards your Christian faith, which is wonderful. Understand that your mother and father feel strongly towards what they believe in. Instead of being angry at them, say a prayer for them. And your prayers are private. Perhaps you can pray that one day they too will join you in your Christian faith.

I know you are frustrated with your parents filling out that form and putting the wrong religion on it. You know, my reaction would probably have been the same as yours—wait just a minute, wrong box! But I need to tell you up front: No matter how old you get, your parents will always remember the image of you as a child. It is a treasure they hold deep in their heart. They will also see you as an adult as you grow, but you can’t fault them for having a memory of a child. I’m over 50 and my parents, in their 80s, will still reach out to help or assist because of that memory and the love they have for me. And they may have been trying to protect you as well.

The Trinity—I keep a real simple view of this that I will share with you. Think of a circle. One third of this circle is God the Father and Creator. One third of this circle is Jesus Christ who was sent by God, who died for our sins, and was resurrected and sits at the right hand of God the Father. The last third of the circle is the Holy Spirit who lives inside you, helping you to see right from wrong. There are three pieces but perfect pieces that form a circle.

Benzodiazepine, I am not in India and am not experiencing the same things that you may be experiencing. I hope you cling to your faith, I pray that you look to Jesus Christ for guidance and talk to Him every day, I pray that you are in no danger, and I pray that you never turn away or give up.

Congratulations again on your choice and may God bless you on your journey.

No doubt, if you’ve read the news from around the world, Christians are under attack. Some Christians are choosing to die rather than turn against God; Blessed are they! You have a test of faith before you; one that may be of God’s choosing. I say “may” because no one knows the Mind of God or can say with certainty His Will. Accept your challenge, brother, and persevere in your faith. Be thankful social rejection is the worst that you can face and pray that you are not put to the ultimate test: death in the Name of Our Lord. In the end, as you know, it’s not about this temporal life that matters; it’s about life eternal. Have a Blessed Day.

I know that. I know that He is the Son of God, and that Holy Spirit isn’t exactly God Himself. But I think all of them can be considered as Divines?

Thank you for encouraging words! I appreciate them. I shall try my best to not wither away from Him and I hope He will guide me. Even though it might raise an issue in the state I live in, and even if something happens, I’ll be glad to be with Him, in Heaven. Although I hope it doesn’t happen too early, but nothing that wasn’t foreseen by Him would ever happen to a true follower of Christ.

I know, and I understand that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit aren’t same, but I think they’re Divines. As Jesus said, He gets His power from the Holy Spirit Himself.

Thank you my friend! I am a Christian since 2012, so it’s been quite a while. I understand how my parents see me as a child, as does everyone, and I am not angry on them, I just feel insulted how much they tried for me to be converted into a Hindu. No, I will not wither away from the Father.

Although I do dislike India, it’s not mainly for its religion. I hate India, because of its society, its economical state is worse than even Ukraine, which is in its conflict time. It’s the ignorance of things, not just religion itself (I fancy even the Bhagvatgeeta teaches Indians to let others live as they want, to not commit sins like lust, greed etc. that everybody does, even though everybody dubs themselves as believers), even though I am a sinner, just like every mortal that’s walked on earth, I am forgiven by His grace, I’ve come to Him, He forgives me for Jesus’ Blood has saved me, but unfortunately, most Indians aren’t saved by the Son.

What I hate about India is, how they act like they’re the most intelligent people in the world, yet none of my teachers know the difference between ‘thuh’ and ‘theeh’. My science teacher? “Inside Thuh atom, there are some of Thuh utmost importance physic contents. Thuh absence of nuclei in Thuh atoms is not common”. I also dislike the racism towards Americans and British people they make, notwithstanding the Muslims in my class thinking “Christians are the dirtiest people in planet. Yo Yo Honey Sing kills any Christian music (they meant to imply psychedelic rock like Pink Floyd here, which I often casually speak of)” etc. absurdly, some even said “India is better than Europe, that is because in India you can kill, rape and get away with it”, those words don’t need explanation.

I just hope that someday India will act like its past days (13th century), and most people would stop committing treachery against Christ. Churches were burnt down, I read once in the Times of India. Those people get mad over Facebook posts (I am not saying the American Govt doesn’t, but at least they don’t perform martyr and beat down the poster’s relatives) and are very rough. I don’t get most of their accent.

I remember how my mother forced me to go to some festival of Hindus. I thought I’d meet civil people there, how wrong was I…

*Previous reply continued.
As if kids acting as priests and laughing at me for wearing a Christian necklace wasn’t enough, the old women were pushing me and constantly calling me a “pora” (Indian accent for ‘child’). The kids acting as priests were insulting their own gods (Hanuman), I remember one saying that “Coconut water doesn’t fall from Hanuman’s… (some incoherent Marathi word)” The ‘incoherent’ word I mentioned of, I didn’t understand its meaning. But I am pretty sure it was meant to be offensive.

After I was tired of all that temple, and it was time for us to return to our city, there were Hindu temples at the side ways of the roads, and they were found every one kilometer or so, my mother, as usual, forced me to “pray” to the temples. i did, and well, I just prayed to Christ for forgiving me and my family for committing multiple betrayals against Him.

I am sorry if the reply was long, I just had to explain why I hate most of the Indian culture.

Perhaps God has decided to test me, if this is so, I hope I’ll pass. I’ve committed many treacherous steps against Him, but I hope I’ll be forgiven. Christians, are unfortunately, indeed under attack. The Holy Spirit should give me strength, I pray Him to give me strength. I remember, that a recent Biblical film is banned.in China. I just dislike it I am born in a non-Christian area, or a non-European area for that matter. Asia is one of the worst places for a Christian to spend his childhood on.

They are three parts of the one God. Separate yet the same. St. Patrick likened it to a shamrock. Three leaves, but one stem.

What a blessing you are! I understand your frustration. There will be a time when all nations will act better. But for now, there are many cultures in all nations around the world which are in conflict with each other as well as in conflict with God. I know it is hard, but try and stay focused and humbled that you have seen the correct path. I am so proud of you for praying for your family. What a wonderful thing for you to do. I wish you had a bible. So many times, I get strength and calmness when I find a quiet place all by myself and just read the word of God.

Try to remember that as a Christian, we are representing our faith and Jesus. When you feel angry and frustrated, try to let it go….give it to Jesus. Something like—they are pushing me and they are mocking me, please Jesus, I give these feelings to you because I don’t know what to do and I need your help because right now I’d just like to scream at them! Just be honest with Him. Not angry, like—hey, why are you doing this to me. Honest with the understanding that we are all flawed, like-----I just need your help because I don’t know what to do with what’s happening in front of me, I’m getting so mad at them and I just need Your help in knowing what to do.

Sometimes it is really hard to do because, well, we are human and we all have human reactions to stuff. Look at it differently-there may be someone who is interested in your faith and may want to know more or come to you to ask questions. If what they see is a humble kind person, they will approach you. If they see only anger and frustration, they may not approach you and also wonder—if he is a Christian and is always angry and frustrated then I don’t want to be like that or find out about his God. The Christian path is not an easy one but it is one that we choose and one that we are dedicated to. But we are all human and we mess up. Try to be a humble and faithful servant to God so that person who is watching you may feel comfortable coming to you for help and guidance. Love, kindness, mercy, and grace are quite powerful. Afterall, all come from God.

There will be frustrations where ever you live. There will be things that anger you, scare you, and tempt you. Always remember to try and walk with God and remember He is always with you. When things get difficult, take a step away from the situation and talk to Jesus. If you are just too frustrated, then say the Lord’s Prayer in your mind. It will help.

The Lord’s Prayer has been translated many times and into many different languages. There are a few different words in different interpretations, even in the bible. These are the words that I pray:
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses (our sins), as we forgive those who trespass (sin) against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

I am so very proud of you. You have chosen a wonderful path. You have prayed for others. You have reached out for help when you have felt frustrated and alone. Someone told me one time that they felt when someone turned to Jesus and accepted Him as their savior that all of the angles sang out. My friend, you have made the angles sing.

Hi Benzodiazepine,

You are an inspiration to me. I assume from your posts that you are a minor, under the care and protection of your parents. Even if you are not, you are bound by the 4th commandment to honor your parents.

Honoring your father and mother doesn’t mean to do everything they say even if it is evil. It means that when they tell you something, you consider it, thank them for their love and advice (they are doing it out of love even if they are wrong - many young people do not have parents who care about them, so you should be grateful) and then do what you have learned is right. You must always be polite, friendly and helpful to your parents. The bible commands this (Sirach Chapter 3 below).

Hopefully, through your good example of humility, respect and filial obedience, your parents will come to see your Christian faith as a good influence on you and may someday be comfortable with it. The bible calls on us to defeat anger with humility and softly spoken words (Proverbs 15:1).

Your parents, being older and set in their culture, may never embrace the Catholic faith. But if they come to see it as a good thing - something that made you a better person, then when other people criticize our faith, your parents may correct them: “That’s not right. Our child is a Catholic, and it has made him a better person.”

You sound to me like an intelligent and sincere young person, full of faith but not yet full of years. Let the bible be your guide to wisdom. I know it is difficult sometimes, but let the gospel of Christ be like pure olive oil on your skin, so that the cruel things other people may say or do will just roll off you like water from oiled skin.

Keep smiling and keep praying. And remain respectful and well behaved. Remember what Saint Francis of Assisi said: “Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words.” What St. Francis was saying is that our behavior communicates the gospel in a far more powerful way than our words could ever do. I am sure you know this from experience - some people say nice words but their actions betray them. Don’t be like that. Let your actions be so honorable that no one needs to hear your words.

Remember that you are the only Bible that most people will ever read. Make that read a blessed one.

Here is that bible passage from Sirach:

1 Listen to me your father, O children;
act accordingly, that you may be kept in safety.
2 For the Lord honours a father above his children,
and he confirms a mother’s right over her children.
3 Those who honour their father atone for sins,
4 and those who respect their mother are like those who lay up treasure.
5 Those who honour their father will have joy in their own children,
and when they pray they will be heard.
6 Those who respect their father will have long life,
and those who honour their mother obey the Lord;
7 they will serve their parents as their masters.
8 Honour your father by word and deed,
that his blessing may come upon you.
9 For a father’s blessing strengthens the houses of the children,
but a mother’s curse uproots their foundations.
10 Do not glorify yourself by dishonouring your father,
for your father’s dishonour is no glory to you.
11 The glory of one’s father is one’s own glory,
and it is a disgrace for children not to respect their mother.
12 My child, help your father in his old age,
and do not grieve him as long as he lives;
13 even if his mind fails, be patient with him;
because you have all your faculties do not despise him.
14 For kindness to a father will not be forgotten,
and will be credited to you against your sins;
15 in the day of your distress it will be remembered in your favour;
like frost in fair weather, your sins will melt away.
16 Whoever forsakes a father is like a blasphemer,
and whoever angers a mother is cursed by the Lord.

• Sirach Chapter 3

God bless you my brother in Christ. Check in often and let us know how you are doing. You have hundreds of Catholic friends here.

Paul

Thank you! My friend, blessed are Jesus’ followers. Thank you, I epseically love how you say ‘You’re the only Bible most people will read (around you). Make sure the read is a Blessed one’.’ Thank you! I shall try my best to let frustration go, and accept His feelings of peace.

I am glad you think of me as an inspiration, even though I am probably so much younger than you! Blessed is the Christian community.

As for the parents, I do respect them. I’ll try my best to remain Christian and obey them as well. Thanks!

Thank you my friend! Wisdom is what I lack, I’ll try my best to be a good Christian, and represent the people around me what I truly am, what is the honorable path and the Glory Christ had. I’ll represent us good in India, trust me.

I do own Bible Blue King James version (.pdf file, unfortunately…), although cause of studies I am not past page hundred yet, however, I’ll make sure to read it as often as possible, a Christian cannot be ignrant of his own Messiah’s words.

I shall make sure to represent Him, and His Glory through me as possible.

There are many Christians living in India and they don’t want to be Europeans or Americans. The original St. Thomas Christians of Kerala also have communities all over the world.

Why did you choose a psychoactive sedative drug as your user name?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.