A thought on Today's Gospel

As I listened to today’s Gospel from john about the Cleansing of the Temple…and Jesus exchange with the Pharisees (…“tear down this temple and I will raise it up in three days…”)
I thought, there is something more here.

John explains that Jesus was talking about His body - not the temple building itself . However there is also a lesson in taking it as the Jews did - that He was talking about the temple building…

Jesus had a way of trying to draw more out of people…of getting them out of their comfort zone…of challenging them to more trust and faith. We see this in several places, the rich young man’s questions on obtaining eternal life, or the Samaritan woman’s comment about eating the scraps that fall from the master’s table are both examples of this.
Likewise we see Jesus express a healing miracle, not as some “sign” from Himself, but as the result of the person’s faith - of their trust.

In all of these cases, Jesus is looking for and challenging and/or rewarding that which the person brings to the matter. Those who are healed not only bring trust, but are willing to sacrifice. Those who “seek signs” only bring skepticism and mistrust.

In John’s passage here, I see something similar. Jesus is challenging the temple authorities to see what they bring. They want to see a “sign”…Jesus is asking them what they are willing to sacrifice in order to obtain that sign. His challenge is great (tear down the temple) simply because their skepticism is great.
They have not believed the many signs already displayed and reported to them because their fear and skepticism was so great. Thus - the only way to overcome that would be an immense sign…but an immense sign requires immense trust…something that Jesus knew they did not have…

I dunno - - Just a thought - -

Comments??

Peace
James

nice thoughts friend! But we had the Scrutiny readings, LOL!

The Samaritan woman at the well. Very cool.
I love that Jesus “bantered” with her; such a human exchange…and her ultimate excitement at conversion. :wink:

I agree wholeheartedly! What a thought! An opportunity to show the world, but so was His resurrection! There would probably still be the same amount of believers, in the end.

Reminds me of this story’s comment…

31“He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Amen…

In my view, the problem for the Pharisees was:

1. The resurrection did not happen right in front of them - and at their beckoning so to speak…
  2. They were looking for something that was essentially outside of themselves. In other words, they were not bringing anything to the table - no open mind.

Again - I point to the number of times when Jesus points to the faith - the trust - of another as necessary for a miracle to occur…obviously there is something very important about our cooperation.
Consider to when Jesus did NOT perform many signs and works…
And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own country and in his own house.” 58 And he did not do many mighty works there, because of their unbelief. Mt 13:57-58
No belief…no open mind…no cooperation with God = no miracles…

Peace
James

Same here.

Very interesting, James. I need to muse on this further…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.