A Timeline For The End Of Time

Can anyone provide a timeline for the end of time?
I mean: Jesus returns, the dead are raised…etc
I would prefer Catholic theology. Scriptural stuff is welcome.

I’ll begin with where we are now.

1.) Minor apostasy. This is a prefigurement of the Great Apostasy that will take place at the very end. Our Lady of Good Success (which has receive the highest approval by the Church, including a very rare approval by John Paul II) specified that this would take place "in the second half of the 20th century”. There have been other prefigurements in the past, such as the time of Julian the Apostate, and during the time of the Machabees (which can be read about it 1 Machabees 1), but the prefigurement of our day is the closest yet to the real thing.

2.) Great Chastisement. This will be something similar to World War III, and will result in the death of a large part of the population. In my opinion, we are probably very close to this.

3.) The Age of Peace. We are currently in “the 5th Age of the Church”, which is a time of devastation. Here’s the description of the 5th Age from the book Catholic Prophecy.

""During this period, many men will abuse of the freedom of conscience conceded to them. It is of such men that Jude the Apostle spoke when he said, “These men blaspheme whatever they do not understand; and they corrupt whatever they know naturally as irrational animals do. They feast together without restraint, feeding themselves, grumbling murmurers, walking according to their lusts; their mouth speaketh proud things, they admire people for the sake of gain; they bring about division, sensual men, having not the spirit.’” They will ridicule Christian simplicity; they will call it folly and nonsense, but they will have the highest regard for advanced knowledge, and for the skill by which the axioms of law, the precepts of morality, the Holy Canons and religious dogmas are clouded by senseless questions and elaborate arguments. “These are the evil times, a century full of dangers and calamities. Heresy is everywhere, and the followers of heresy are in power almost everywhere. but God will permit a great evil against His Church: Heretics and tyrants will come suddenly and unexpectedly; they will break into the Church. They will enter Italy and lay Rome waste; they will burn down churches and destroy everything.” …

“During this unhappy period, there will be laxity in divine and. human precepts. Discipline will suffer. The Holy Canons will be. completely disregarded, and the Clergy will not respect the laws of the. Church. Everyone will be carried away and led to believe and to do what he fancies, according to the manner of the flesh”.

1. The Age of Peace: The 5th Age ends with the arrival of The Great Monarch and a Holy Pope. This will usher in an absolutely miraculous restoration of the Church. This has been spoken of by many Saints and Mystics over the centuries. It has been described as beyond imagining. According to Our Lady of La Sallette (also an approved apparition), this will only last about 25 years.

5.) Next comes the conversion of the Jews.

6.) The final apostasy, the coming of the Antichrist, and the preaching of Enoch and Elias.

7.) The Second Coming of Our Lord.

Continue…

I wanted to mention one more thing. I found this interesting. Many people are familiar with the Prophecy of Malachi, which provides a list of all the Popes. The list was written in the 12th Century, and the current Pope is the second to last in the list.

A Jesuit studied the prophecies of Malachi in depth and wrote an interesting book back in the '40’s. He concluded that the prophecy is genuine, and also stated that there is much more to it than people know of. He said there are all kinds of codes contained within the prophecy, and they all point to the date of 2012 as being the end of the Age. He states that the list of Popes does not end with the end of the world, but only with the end of the present age. Now, I have only read a review of the book so I don’t know too many details. What I found interesting is that we hear a lot today about “2012”. Normally, I would disregard this date as pure sensationalism, but since the Jesuit pointed to the exact same date in the 1940’s, it makes me wonder if something will happen in that year. What I think could happen is that 2012 will mark the beginning of the restoration. BTW, if you are wondering what will trigger the restoration, it will be the collegial Consecration of Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. So, if the restoration will begin in 2012, it means between now and then we will see the Great Chastisement. Time will tell…

Well, it’s a good thing I’m getting baptised this Easter! Thank God for Jesuitry… :rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

Thomas has given us one of a number of theories about the end times. Note that the only thing the Church officially says is from the Catechism:

The Church’s ultimate trial**

675 Before Christ’s second coming the Church must pass through a final trial that will shake the faith of many believers.574 The persecution that accompanies her pilgrimage on earth575 will unveil the “mystery of iniquity” in the form of a religious deception offering men an apparent solution to their problems at the price of apostasy from the truth. The supreme religious deception is that of the Antichrist, a pseudo-messianism by which man glorifies himself in place of God and of his Messiah come in the flesh.576
676 The Antichrist’s deception already begins to take shape in the world every time the claim is made to realize within history that messianic hope which can only be realized beyond history through the eschatological judgment. The Church has rejected even modified forms of this falsification of the kingdom to come under the name of millenarianism,577 especially the “intrinsically perverse” political form of a secular messianism.578
677 The Church will enter the glory of the kingdom only through this final Passover, when she will follow her Lord in his death and Resurrection.579 The kingdom will be fulfilled, then, not by a historic triumph of the Church through a progressive ascendancy, but only by God’s victory over the final unleashing of evil, which will cause his Bride to come down from heaven.580 God’s triumph over the revolt of evil will take the form of the Last Judgment after the final cosmic upheaval of this passing world.581

**You can also check out this thread for more information: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=198461

Only God knows and He ain’t telling. I prefer to think of the End Times in a more positive setting than we need to be concerned about. God could have ended this world many times in the past but because of the preaching of the Saints and the conversions of sinners He would have cancelled it and allow the world to continue. As long as there is chosen souls in this world God will continue it. I believe God does not want to end this world. It is us who force Him to end it. There will come a time when God can no longer save the world as He is doing now that is by His Grace and Mercy. There will come a time when people may become so preverted as to resist any Grace at all and it may be so bad that unless Jesus comes physically then even what good is there left may succumb to the wickedness of the world and also become preverted. At that moment the Eternal Father had enough and allows Jesus to come to save what is left. If you want a timeline of my personal opinion and you may take it or leave it I will simply say that we will be entering a distressful time in the West. The West will undergo terrible conflicts which I believe will be internal. I believe you will see alot of uprisings in every country of the West where the rich have deserted the poor. Every Western country will undergo these terrible conflicts of the poor uprising against the rich. It must come so to teach the rich for their neglect of the poor. Every city in the USA have plenty of people below the poverty line. Detroit is the poorest city in the USA with over 28% of its population below the poverty line. Buffalo is the second poorest city with over 25% of its population before the poverty line. Now include all the poor in every city in the West and you get the picture. These people are begging for food and shelter and the basic needs and what are the rich doing for them. Practically nothing! Only for the Church the poor will be in greater poverty. The Church tries to help them but we are against a great horde of rich people who really do not care. Soon God will allow the something to change it. It will come naturally from the sinfullness of the rich and from the neglect of so many people. The poor will rise up against them and you will see the destruction of this Western empire that has so neglected to take care of its own. God though will be with the people and from this and through the generous help of the Eastern Church who have been saved from all this because the Eastern countries are just beginning to be democratic and have not the time to be like the West you will see help from the East both Orthodox and Catholics who live there and they will help us recover. From this I believe God plans to unite His Church and hopefully the whole world through great signs and wonders. The world been converted to Christ will have its Hosanna and live during an ernormous peace. But afterwards people will forget their blessings as the devil continues his work to lead men away from God and eventually the world will enter into a state far worse then what the West entered. This then is the beginning of the End and in a while it will get so bad that the Eternal Father will send His Son to end it. These are only my own thoughts. Pope John Paul II wrote about the West saying that democracy undiscliplined will ultimately self distruct. Notice he said democracy and not the Church. The Church will help us during these times as it always did and God will be there to as well as His Holy Mother to guide us and help us.

The end of time will only happen when we truely bring the Kingdom of God to earth. Jesus gives us sevaral images of this in the Gospels, but simply put, when we live together in peace and love as he taught. I’m not looking for that the happen any time soon.

It will come like a thief in the night, no one knows the mind of God nor are we supposed to. i always wonder why people seem to think they may have some clue to the “end times” it says in the bible we can not know. I have seen where throughout history there have been fanatics who have come upon some formula they gleaned through personal interpretation of the Bible and decided the end was near, always seems like this type of nut ends up killing themselves and others in the process. The most recent group was the Hale Bop comet fanatics, they decided through some mathmatic code they discovered hidden in biblical texts that the end was coming along with the comet Hale-Bop and they all drank a cool-aid and poison mixture to facilitate Jesus picking them up on the spaceship he was on that was hiding in the comets tail, they were a devout group the men had already castrated themselves several years previously to keep sin at bay, I think their souls were picked up, just not by who they were hoping.

This is just another vanity man flatters himself with, another is trying to prove or disprove God. Given our limited intelligence, a gift from God, still we use only a scant portion of our brain, we as a race seem to need to applaud ourselves with the thought that we could ever find proofs of God. We try to prove miracles, we try to rationalize mysteries,and did not Jesus tell satan that he should not put his God to a test? Are we so vain as to try to explain our Saviors timeline for His return for Judgement, I guess so.

By the way, between me and you, the world ends in the year 2106 at 4:00 am sharp, just prove me wrong. :shrug:

ed

*Hi Ed,
Thank you for sharing that.
I have often wondered about end time speculations.
Mainly because I heard somewhere that “We will never know the day nor the hour”
and never understood how it fit in.

I have never read Revelations from front to back.
But from the bits and pieces I remember from it I am lead to wonder…
Maybe Revelations is actually more like instructions to us on how God will bring His Kingdom to earth. If we let Him work through us…
If we do not let Him work through us to bring His Kingdom to earth then maybe we will actually bring the antichrist and his kingdom instead…

Just wondering…

*In dwelling on this further…I was thinking about all the mystical experiences that people have and how it is such a beautiful goft from God and I beleive it is God’s way of drawing us closer to Himself. And in understanding this I believe a clearer understanding of what I said in my last post would be that maybe revelations instructs us on how God will bring us into His Kingdom.
Not that His Kingdom actually comes to earth and our reality. But into His Kingdom, His World, His Reality.
As we let Him draw us closer to Himself during our life. Dieing to everything of this world. Even our bodies He draws us into His Kingdom. So it is not that His Kingdom comes to this world but we are drawn into His Kingdom, His world, Eternity. Maybe we will see ourselves actually being drawn into His Kingdom as we take our last breath of this reality, and breath in Eternity and are drawn into His Kingdom maybe we will actually see it happening. Maybe through the whole process of these Mystical experiences He gives us of Himself is His way of preparing us for His Kingdom so that we do see Him drawing us into His Kingdom.
If that is the case then it might be that if we do not work with God and let Him draw us into His Kingdom and into Himself and try to bring His Kingdom and Himself into our reality, our world, on our terms and our conditions in a way that we can understand Him and in a way that we want to know Him then we establish the anti christ nature in all of us and let his kingdom reign in us.

Just sharing my thoughts here…does any of this make any sense? *

Thomas Aquinas, thank you for the summary. I appreciate it. Can you go into a little more detail and speak a little about the Great Monarch and the Three Days of Darkness?

And a little more about the ‘5th age of the Church’?

:slight_smile:

Shin: you can read all about it in a book entitled “Trial , Tribulation and Triumph, Before, During and after Antichrist”. The Author is Desmond Birch. It represents approx 23 years research in eschatology. You can find it at Amazon. No other catholic author even comes close to this wonderful exposition!:thumbsup:

Yes, I have the book! :smiley: I have a few others too, from Tan, and various etext archives, etc. like Yves Dupont’s, Culleton’s, Rossi’s… Still would like to pick up more. I collect lots of source quotes, then weigh the authority and value of each.

I’m curious to see how Thomas Aquinas would summarize it.

I never necessarily completely agree with the interpretations and commentary – it’s interesting to see though where even the off one’s focus on, and why – but Birch is really good, I agree. :slight_smile:

I should pick up his book and go through it again.

And what about the Return of Elias and Enoch?

This is my own understanding for the 2 witnesses in Revelation 11 so you can take it or leave it. My problem with Enoch and Elias is that they are only 2 men and we have a large planet to deal with it. What are they going to do ride the planes every 5 minutes? And I do not think God needs a blast from the past. Why does not He bring back all the Saints? My understanding to the Scriptures comes from the verse that says " These are the two olive trees and two lampstands standing before God…". I was thinking that this may refer to us the Church who constantly offers up the Mass and the Divine Liturgy before God throughout the world at every hour and day. So the 2 witnesses are then the Catholic and the Orthodox Church. East and West! From these 2 Churches God may call many people to go out into the world to give Him witness. So the number of the witnesses sent out will be more than 2. God can called many because there are many witnesses in both His Catholic and Orthodox Church. The so called 2 witnesses in scriptures may refer to those representatives of His 2 witnesses on earth that is the Catholic and the Orthodox Church. This then is your Enoch and Elijah. When it becomes really bad God will call many from each Church to do His witnessing.

Thanks for those replies, everyone.
What about the order of events? I always thought it went:

1. There are great tribulations at the end of time, such that nothing would be left alive if not for God’s intervention;
  2. Jesus and the angels appear in the sky, to put an end to the stupidity down here;
  3. At the same time as this, the “elect” are raised from their graves and join Jesus and the angels as they return;
  4. Jesus, angels and newly-born saints fight a war against Satan; Satan is locked away;
  5. Jesus institutes a 1000-year reign of peace and harmony;
  6. at the end of 1000 years, Satan is released for a little while, to try and divert souls away from the good thing Jesus has going;
  7. At the final judgement, Satan, the demons and the absolutely unrepentant sinners are cast away to hell forever;
  8. God then comes and resides on a renewed earth.

Or have I got the order of events wrong? I must confess that I fell under the spell of Pentecostal theology some years ago, and I may be confusing beliefs.

The thing is, this stuff hardly rates a mention in normal Catholic discourse.
(Perhaps there’s another thread in this…)

Well, the only gripe I personally have with this is scenarios 4-6. The Catholic Church doesn’t really have an official position on the End Times, but ever since St. Augustine, most Catholic theologians have preferred an amilennial scenario. In the 1940s the Holy Office judged that premillenialist position, now so popular among many Fundamentalists and Evangelicals, ‘cannot safely be taught,’ though the Church has not dogmatically defined this issue.

Amilennialism stands out in that it rejects the theory that Jesus will have a literal thousand-year long, physical reign on the earth: rather, the idea is that the number should be taken symbolically, and refers rather to Jesus presently reigning from heaven through His Church than Jesus coming down and setting up a sort of physical government while Satan is locked up for a millenium. In other words, we are already living the ‘thousand years’, in which the Devil is bound such that he cannot stop the spread of the Gospel throughout the world.

The Antichrist has to come for sure. It wouldn’t surprize me if he lived among mankind now. And the three signs to know are…

1] He will solve world problems no-one has been able to solve.

2] Many will claim him to be a messiah.

3] He will ask all to bow before him in worship.

I listened to Malichi Martin speak before he had passed on. He seemed to think he was here now also. And also believed that this decade will be the worst. He was convinced that whatever will happen will happen before 2020. He is also one of the few who actually read the Third Secret and openly admitted the entire context was never revealed to the public.

I beleve the Catholic Church knows much more than it will ever tell you. And you see glimpse’s of this with Benedicts May 13th 2010 Homily. He speaks about the 7-years which seperate us from the century in 2017 to hasten the fulfillment of the prophecy of the Blessed Mother victory for the Holy Spirit. You can google it and read it.

It also relates directly to Pope Leo XIIIs vision and the 100-years given to satan as a time of testing. Which in 2017 comes to an end. 13th was same date of the apparitions of Mary and the same date of Leo XIII vision. coincidence? Its doesn’t happen with providence.

So I believe Martin gave a bit if info being under oath of silence which he also stated, he couldn’t talk about it. And he gave the 2020 year and stated it won’t even take that long.

So they are sweating out this decade for sure. You could take that to the bank.

Look at Egypt and the surrounding countries. In a minute we could be in a serious mess. And if you consider the history of mankind, is the war of good and evil? Doesn’t look to good at the moment. Looks pretty thin to me.

I also firmly believe there’s an option for man. The period of peace promised in Isaiah and at fatima has never came to mankind. So it could be a completed prophecy. I believe if the church of the east and west come into Communion and the Lutherian and Methodist, Angelican follow suite. It would go a long way with God, I’m convinced that might do it.

I also believe they are supernaturally seperated right now, there’s no good reason for the seperation. Doctrine is not an issue but to individuals on this forum. The Patriarchs are not saying that. They are looking at the schism in case they missed something. And of course the Patriarch of Russia hasn’t met with Benedict yet [to discuss doctrine]. Yet they are close in thinking.

Anyway to put more into the here and now, thats my thinking.

Some of the real key passages to look at are

St Luke 21:10 Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.

St Luke 21:11 And there shall be great earthquakes in divers places, and pestilences, and famines, and terrors from heaven; and there shall be great signs

St Luke 21:25 And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, by reason of the confusion of the roaring of the sea and of the waves;

St Matthew 24:21 For there shall be then great tribulation, such as hath not been from the beginning of the world until now, neither shall be

I always hear naysayers from within and outside the Church who will make the argument that we've always had wars and rumors of wars and that WWI and WWII were examples of nation turning against nation, and the Black Death of the 14th century was a pestilence of Biblical proportions, but where I believe they get it wrong is when they seemingly disregard St Matthew 24:21 above. We are going to see something so cataclysmic that it almost defies description. More countries at war than in WWII, people starving in record numbers, multiple earthquakes, meteors hitting the earth, deadly plagues. I guess it's one of those topics that makes some people want to change the subject very quickly.

Not to sound flip, but the end times, unless we should see Jesus descending on a cloud, go like this: Either awake or asleep, you take your last breath. That is the end time that each of us is guaranteed.

It is when we seek to know what Jesus does not know that we tread upon ground that is not granted to us. Trouble always ensues.

Stay awake. Watch. The best and last advice that we have.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.