A "Traditional Rosary" Question

My question really has two parts.

Part one: Is there an “original form” of the Rosary prayer to which more has been added? Here I"m not speaking about the addition of the Luminous Mysteries (as I know their addition is recent) but I’m speaking of the prayers added beyond the “basic” Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be? Is the prayer different for different countries?

Part two: Is there a more traditional physical rosary form…i.e. made of wood and string…crucifix of wood not metal etc? Just curious about this as I am just now beginning to “get into” this form of prayer and would appreciate knowing more about it.

Many thanks!

The basic prayers “Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be” were the original and other prayers “Hail Holy Queen” and the Fatima prayer were attached later.

During V2, Cardinal Bugnini tried to shorten the Hail Mary to the scriptural part of the prayer only but that was nixed by Pope Paul VI.

Well at least His holiness drew a line SOMEWHERE! :whistle:

Source?

Anyone?

Rosaries can be made of any suitable material. At one time, noble ladies had them made of precious or semi-precious stones.

Mine is made of knotted cord. (Yes, it’s a Rosary, not a Chotki.)

This is actually how the Dominicans say the Ave, including when they say the Rosary in their own chapels.

Here is the Byzantine form of the Angelic Salutation:

Rejoice (or Hail), O Virgin Theotokos, Mary full of grace; the Lord is with you. Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the Fruit of your womb, for you have borne [Christ,] the Savior [and deliverer] of our souls.

In the Syriac Churches, it begins, “Peace to you, O Mary…”

Growing up, my family recited the prayer nightly. We ended with an Act of Contrition, rather than the Hail, Holy, Queen. We also did not meditate on the individual mysteries of the rosary.
The rosary began as 150 Patre Nostras, or Our Fathers that peasants recited in place of the psalms they heard being recited in the monasteries. Later it came to be the rosary as we know it, with the 15 mysteries (prior to the Luminous Mysteries–my favorite).

The Holy Rosary according to the Method of St. Louis de Montfort is somewhat different from its present form. I like the Introductory Prayer:
I unite with all the saints in Heaven, with all the just on earth and with all the faithful here present. I unite with Thee, O my Jesus, in order to praise worthily Thy holy Mother and to praise Thee in her and through her. I renounnce all the distractions I may have during this Rosary, which I wish to say with modesty, attention and devotion, just as if it were to be the last of my life.
we offer Thee, O most Holy Trinity, this Creed in horor os all the mysteries of our Faith, this Our Father and these three Hail Marys in honor of the unity of Thy Essence and the Trinity of Thy Persons. We ask of Thee a lively faith, a firm hope and an ardent charity. Amen.

He begins each decade with a short prayer, ie We offer Thee, O Lord Jesus, this first decade in honor of Thine Incarnation in Mary’s womb, and we ask of Thee through this Mystery and through her intercession, a profound humility. Amen.

The Franciscan rosary has seven decades while the more common rosary has five.

Im going to answer your question in a different way. When I was evangelical, my prayer life was short and sweet. It consisted mainly of the various thoughts or requests inside my head. In a sense, I was talking to myself more than to God. When I returned to the Church of my youth, I had to learn a different way of praying.
Why is exercise so hard and downright painful? Because my body naturally would rather be sitting back in an easy chair getting fat.
Well, the same goes with the brain and spirit. It is actually quite Biblical. Pre-composed prayers help train our minds to consentrate. My brain, like my body, would rather be sitting in a mental easy chair getting fat. The pre-composed repitition of the rosary breaks through that. It helps in training my brain so, when I do pray with my own words, I now have a context to do it with.
But here is something even more amazing. The more I exercise physically, the healthier I am, exercise isn’t dragging, I become energized. The same with the rosary. The more I pray, the more energized I become, mentally and spiritually.
Don’t worry so much as to how to pray the rosary, just enjoy praying it and you will see the results.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.