"...a transcendent vocation from God..."

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Recently I posted on CAF an excerpt from Pope Benedict XVI’s encyclical “Caritas in veritate”. Someone on another Forum asked: “What does being brothers mean to us today?” My reply was to quote the answer Pope Benedict gives in paragraph 19:

Reason, by itself, is capable of grasping the equality between men and of giving stability to their civic coexistence, but it cannot establish fraternity.This originates in a transcendent vocation from God the Father, who loved us first, teaching us through the Son what fraternal charity is. Paul VI, presenting the various levels in the process of human development, placed at the summit, after mentioning faith, “unity in the charity of Christ who calls us all to share as sons in the life of the living God, the Father of all”.

The lack of brotherly and sisterly charity today, stems from ignoring God. Reason alone cannot create unity. God loved us frst and if we do not receive our “transcendent vocation” our supernatural life and love from Him, we remain empty, as Paul says in 1 Cor 13, “If I have not love I am nothing”. There is a crisis of faith in our world today. As St. Augustine pointed out centuries ago, the city of man is built by those loving themselves to the contempt of God, while the City of God is built by those loving God to the contempt of self. Many grow more confused thinking only of self, and grow angrier, and hostile towards one another in their unhappiness. Jesus warned us in John 15 that without Him we can do nothing. The Church’s Light from Him will grow dimmer if we do not continually grow in faith, hope and above all charity.

God created us to know, love, and serve Him in this world and to be happy with Him forever in the next. If we want to be true brothers and sisters in today’s world, we begin by becoming true children of God and heirs of heaven. St. Augustine’s prayer still rings true: “Thou hast made us for Thyself O Lord and our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee.”

Today on this Feast of the Sacred Heart I wonder how many baptized Christians and especially Catholics, consider themselves called to “a transcendent vocation from God”. How many of us take seriously our call to holiness? May we open our hearts to the Heart of Christ and learn from Him, as the Gospel for today encourages us. (MT 11:25-30).

Mary, Mother of the Word Made Flesh, in whose womb His Sacred Heat beat, pray for us.
Sacred Heart of Jesus, our Brother, sent by the Father to save us, teach us to love one another as You have loved us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.