A two part Question: Please respond to both

Dear friend in Christ

1. Does Obedience have a role in Faith?

2. What does your church teach about the roke of Faith in one’s salvation?

God Bless you

Patrick

Hello Patrick! Hope your Christmas was great.

I would say yes. “Faith without works is dead.”

St. Paul’s appeal to reject “works of the law” is best understood as an endorsing of the “New Covenant” post Christ and that Christians did not need to follow the Mosaic law in the way Jews did before Christ. Paul’s appeal was not a rejection of “good works” and Paul actually calls for those in the “New Covenant to do many things. Christ’s atonement allows for us to repent of our failures, but Christ does not endorse an “easy believism” in which our choices do not matter.
In a very simplistic way, I would say that the New Covenant is ENTERED via faith (even via “Faith Alone”). We embrace Christ as our savoir thorough an act of faith and we become His. Our part of the Covenant is more than just belief and we are called to this. I generally view Sanctification/Justification as a process not that Sanctification happens then we walk the road of Justification.
Charity, TOm

Obedience to God only–to do the will of the Father. Obedience does not mean that people get to manipulate and molest your mind with petty annoyances, such as some faith proclaims. I only have to answer to God and God only.

Oh, yes, obedience to God’s will is (to me) central. Not that I am good at it.

Is this preached…? Yes and no. I hear parts of it preached, for example, that God wants us to (help the poor, pray, etc) one at a time. The idea of obedience altogether, not so muc, which is unfortunate, as I think it is very central to the Faith.

1. If we love somebody we don’t cross them… If we love God we shouldn’t cross God, so obedience is everything… We learned from forever that obedience is a good thing, not a bad thing… It brings Gods goodness into our lives…

2. We need faith if we wish to be saved… How can someone ever get to heaven if they have no faith when Jesus leads us there especially as we’re supposed to have faith as a child to enter heaven to see Jesus…

1. Yes, obedience to God only.

2. I’ll go with what St Paul said about this

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)”

Faith is essential to salvation. It it the first prerequisite to being saved.

THANKS!

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, for it is the gift of God;

GBY

Interesting response. Thanks

GBY.

THANKS GREAT advice

As a FYI

If you put the posters reply in {QUOTE] … marks your reply will be separated from the Other POST:thumbsup:

GBY

THANK YOU!

Well done

GBY

quote Originally Posted by PJM View Post
Dear friend in Christ

1. Does Obedience have a role in Faith?

2. What does your church teach about the roke of Faith in one’s salvation?

God Bless you end quote

Patrick

Very Good:)

So WHAT precisely is menat by “obedience?”

GBY

As an unorthodox Christian, here’s my unorthodox response… :smiley:

Cecil B. DeMille, director of the epic biblical film The Ten Commandments, told the student body at Brigham Young University:

“We are too inclined to think of law as something merely restrictive—something hemming us in. We sometimes think of law as the opposite of liberty. But that is a false conception. That is not the way that God’s inspired prophets and lawgivers looked upon the law. Law has a twofold purpose. It is meant to govern. It is also meant to educate. …

“… And so it is with all the Commandments.

“We must look beneath the literal, the surface meaning of the words. We must take the trouble to understand them; for how can we obey commands that we do not understand? But the Commandments too have an educative function—which you can see in the life of anyone who keeps them. They produce good character. The Ten Commandments are not rules to obey as a personal favor to God. They are the fundamental principles without which mankind cannot live together. They make of those who keep them faithfully, strong, wholesome, confident, dedicated men and women. This is so because the Commandments come from the same Divine Hand that fashioned our human nature.

“God does not contradict Himself. He did not create man and then, as an afterthought, impose upon him a set of arbitrary, irritating, restrictive rules. He made man free—and then gave him the Commandments to keep him free” (“Commencement Address,” in Commencement Exercises, Brigham Young University Speeches of the Year [31 May 1957], 4–5).

Joseph Smith stated:
Let us here observe, that a religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation; for, from the first existence of man, the faith necessary unto the enjoyment of life and salvation never could be obtained without the sacrifice of all earthly things. It was through this sacrifice, and this only, that God has ordained that men should enjoy eternal life; and it is through the medium of the sacrifice of all earthly things that men do actually know that they are doing the things that are well pleasing in the sight of God. When a man has offered in sacrifice all that he has for the truth’s sake, not even withholding his life, and believing before God that he has been called to make this sacrifice because he seeks to do his will, he does know, most assuredly, that God does and will accept his sacrifice and offering, and that he has not, nor will not seek his face in vain.* Under these circumstances, then, he can obtain the faith necessary for him to lay hold on eternal life.*** (Joseph Smith, Lectures on Faith 6:7)

I hope this helps…

Well the first thing that came to mind was this

“And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.” (Deuteronomy 6:5)

And the second was this

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.” (John 5:24).

One loves God by obeying God and obeying the commandments set out by God. Sin therefore is not obeying God

“To the Lord our God belong mercies and forgivenesses, though we have rebelled against him: neither have we obeyed the voice of the Lord our God, to walk in his laws which he set before us.” (Daniel 9.9-10)

While I’m not a Christian I would hope to be your friend…

There’s a very succinct verse in the Kitab-i-Aqdas first paragraph that indicates there are two duties: The first is recognition of Him Who is the Dayspring of His Revelation… (in this case Baha’u’llah) and secondly: “to observe every ordinance of Him…”. “neither is acceptable without the other…”

Thanks, that is a great insight!

“We must look beneath the literal, the surface meaning of the words. We must take the trouble to understand them; for how can we obey commands that we do not understand? But the Commandments too have an educative function—which you can see in the life of anyone who keeps them. They produce good character. The Ten Commandments are not rules to obey as a personal favor to God. They are the fundamental principles without which mankind cannot live together. They make of those who keep them faithfully, strong, wholesome, confident, dedicated men and women. This is so because the Commandments come from the same Divine Hand that fashioned our human nature.

Playing the ROLE of advocate here: So then are the 10 Commandments the lentire list of possible sins and Life Lessons God wishes to impart to us?

“God does not contradict Himself. He did not create man and then, as an afterthought, impose upon him a set of arbitrary, irritating, restrictive rules. He made man free—and then gave him the Commandments to keep him free” (“Commencement Address,” in Commencement Exercises, Brigham Young University Speeches of the Year [31 May 1957], 4–5).

Another good insight. I wounder how many of us actually get it though?

Joseph Smith stated:
Let us here observe, that a religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation; for, from the first existence of man, the faith necessary unto the enjoyment of life and salvation never could be obtained without the sacrifice of all earthly things. It was through this sacrifice, and this only, that God has ordained that men should enjoy eternal life; and it is through the medium of the sacrifice of all earthly things that men do actually know that they are doing the things that are well pleasing in the sight of God. When a man has offered in sacrifice all that he has for the truth’s sake, not even withholding his life, and believing before God that he has been called to make this sacrifice because he seeks to do his will, he does know, most assuredly, that God does and will accept his sacrifice and offering, and that he has not, nor will not seek his face in vain.** Under these circumstances, then, he can obtain the faith necessary for him to lay hold on eternal life.** (Joseph Smith, Lectures on Faith 6:7)

I hope this helps…

Great choice of quotes:thumbsup:

BUT what my friend is TRULY pleasing to GOD?

Would not true and full Obedience to what HE TAUGHT be 1st on that list?

The answer to that Question supersedes all the WISDOM you shared my friend:)

GBY

Patrick

That Mt=y FRIEND is VERY Catholic:)

Thanks and GBY

Patrick

Obedience - surrender and humility are the fruits
Yoke - trust and hope makes the burden lighter
angeltime[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]

Very good!

THANKS

GBY

While I don’t have time to plumb the depths of this excellent question, I would initially say no. For example, which of the 10 commandments was Lot following when he was commanded to leave Sodom?

Genesis 19:15 As dawn was breaking, the angels urged Lot on, saying, “Come on! Take your wife with you and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away in the punishment of the city.

I would suggest what’s truly pleasing to God is full Obedience to what He taught along with full obedience to those He sent to teach us. Take care.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.