A Vermont bill would bring emoji license plates to the US

A Vermont bill would bring emoji license plates to the US

:joy::wink::sunglasses::slightly_smiling_face::heart_eyes:

With their ability to add a dash of color and whimsy to a text message, emoji have become an indispensable part of our online interactions. Thanks to a new piece of proposed legislation introduced last week in the Vermont House of Representatives, they could soon start making state license plates more colorful as well.

The bill, introduced by Democrat Rebecca White, would allow drivers to add one of six emoji to their license plates. The pictographs would be in addition to whatever combination of letters and numbers the state’s Commissioner of Motor Vehicles assigns to a car or a driver picks for themselves. So you won’t have to worry about saying something like “thinking face, smiling face with heart-eyes and face with tears of joy” the next time you need to report a Vermont driver to police.

If the bill passes, Vermont would be the first state in the US to allow emoji on license plates – but not the first place in the world. According to NBC 5 , that distinction goes to Queensland, Australia. As of last year, people in the country’s second-largest state have been able to add one of five emoji to their plates for about $336. Notably, Vermont hasn’t said how much it would charge for the plates, nor which six emoji drivers will be able to pick from. Just as importantly, it hasn’t decided if it will create its own take on the designs or use an existing repository. We would love to see the blob emoji make more of a comeback.

Cool idea.

Would work like vanity plates, I would think.

A person is limited to having one emoji on their plate. Right now it can be one of five specific emoji. The other characters are limited to alphanumeric.

Agreed.
The police use license plates to identify and in some cases convey information.

This will simply make it harder.

The article said that the plates would still have numbers and the emoji would not need to be reported.

I still think it’s dumb.

2 Likes

There are so many different styles of vanity plates for each state to choose from, what’s the difference for having a few more options to choose?

I wonder if some of the sour grapes come about because everybody still thinks of Vermont as quaint fahmers in flannel and grannies with maple syrup cans. Vermont with emojis? Vermonters who utilize contemporary culture?

Vermont has been into craft brews for decades, and Vermont wines are starting to gain national and international attention. Vermont artists and their productions are state of the art. Vermont still has plenty of ‘quaint fahmers’ (a lot of whom now utilize the most sophisticated of equipment in production of organics, who own cooperatively businesses such as Cabot Cheese and King Arthur flour) and we’re poised to take maple beyond syrup and into directions you wouldn’t believe.

Vermont is in the 21st century. It will use what is best, as it has done since it managed to fight off New York AND Massachusetts and remain independent until it CHOSE to become the nation’s 14th state.

There are lots of ideas in Vermont. Some of them won’t work (nobody is right all the time). Some may not be the best.

But isn’t it better to have so many ideas around that one risks some being less than stellar, than to just keep going around in circles doing the same-old same-old. . .I mean when it comes to generating and maintaining business/commerce?

This is a joke, right?

1 Like

It has nothing to do with Vermont.

Does everything in the world have to be cute and connected to the internet and our phones and social media? It’s a license plate for Pete’s sake, not a life mission statement.

Yes, of course.

Right, which means that for some who drive (I have cataracts, I don’t anymore until after I’m safe to drive) they would like to choose to have a symbol they like.

It’s not about ‘more and more technology that’s unnecessary’, it’s about offering people choices. There’s always a point where to somebody it is ‘too much’; equally, to others it’s ‘ok’ and still others ‘not enough’.

Ever looked at all the styles of vanity plates other states have offered (and still allow even if no longer issued?)

Personally I wish they still had the old license plates for each state from the 1960s. Each state had a different color scheme and you could tell literally at a GLANCE which plates belonged to which state.

But that’s my wish. We have what we have, and we’ll have more no doubt as time goes on. Why complain?

I’m sorry, I thought I was voicing an opinion. You know, the same way that you have, though neither time was mine as lengthy as your responses. I am sorry you see my opinion as a complaint.

I’m sorry too, Of course you have a right to your opinion. As I said in my too lengthy replies, if I had my opinion we would all go back to the very simple plates of the 1960s! But no, I’m not calling you a complainer, sorry if I came off that way. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.