A very important article if you are at all concerned about the soft totalitarianism in America

I returned to the OP article and noticed this, at the start:

The following is an adaptation from Rod Dreher’s “Live Not by Lies: A Manual for Christian Dissidents”.

I then clicked that link, and discovered that:

1. Rod Dreher is a highly respected journalist, and, in particular, is the author of The Benedict Option, which has been highly praised within both Protestant and Catholic circles, especially those of conservative (“c”) leanings. Fr Longenekker calls the Benedict option “the only option”.

2. The primary purpose of the book is to pass on warnings and observations received from survivors of totalitarian regimes. From the Amazon page for the book:

For years, émigrés from the former Soviet bloc have been telling Rod Dreher they see telltale signs of “soft” totalitarianism cropping up in America–something more Brave New World than Nineteen Eighty-Four

In Live Not By Lies , Dreher amplifies the alarm sounded by the brave men and women who fought totalitarianism. He explains how the totalitarianism facing us today is based less on overt violence and more on psychological manipulation. He tells the stories of modern-day dissidents–clergy, laity, martyrs, and confessors from the Soviet Union and the captive nations of Europe–who offer practical advice for how to identify and resist totalitarianism in our time.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn famously said that one of the biggest mistakes people make is assuming totalitarianism can’t happen in their country.

So, these points of the book stand, regardless of allegations of electoral fraud and/or social media bias in the wake of the 2020 US election. The attempt to apply Dreher’s points to these may (or may not be) far fetched, and I reserve judgement, but the preceding issues remain.

Immaculee Ilebegeza relates how the intolerance in Rwanda grew little by little before things got really bad.
Little remarks in the media, that sort of thing.
Easily dismissed (“don’t take it so seriously “).

Yes, it’s important to call out bigotry when it happens, and to fight back on even little encroachments on our rights,

3 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.