A very important question

I came across a website some years back, where basically you write into this lady and she prays and picks a saint for you and as it turns out, it really is the saint picking YOU.
And that saint is your patron for the year. It really is an awesome thing.

My computer crashed and I lost all my info including her email address and the name of her site. Does anyone know the site I'm referring to?

[quote="Lucky_Scrunchy, post:1, topic:254375"]
I came across a website some years back, where basically you write into this lady and she prays and picks a saint for you and as it turns out, it really is the saint picking YOU.

My computer crashed and I lost all my info including her email address and the name of her site. Does anyone know the site I'm referring to?

[/quote]

Funny. try Google and when you find, pleas report back.

I already tried that. The problem is that I don't have a name to google.

[/quote]

It sounds different, as I have never heard of this before, but this is the email address you asked about (I think):

[EMAIL="mare54n@gmail.com"]mare54n@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

This is the webpage which talks about The Patron Saint of the Year Ministry:

yourpatronsaint.blogspot.com/

Thank you for this web site I have just been on and requested a saint for the rest of the year. I think this is a wonderful idea and am really glad that it came up. I am starting a lot of new things at the moment and would really appreciate any extra help from above with them.

pax

adele

You know what, I think this is the site I was searching for. Thank you soooooooo much for your help!!!

[/quote]

Be careful that you're not treating the communion of Saints as a sort of occult practice here. This service that this woman is providing is probably not directly authorized by the church...

I sent the woman an email asking her to pick a saint for me also.
I wonder if that's ok though. It would help to know how exactly she picks the saint though. Does she pray 'God, pick a saint for this person,' and gives the name of the first saint that comes to mind? Or does she use a random saint chooser computer software or something. :confused:

I got a reply from her. "The saint that chose you, Rocks, is St. John the Discalced, 12/15! "
She claims in her email that she believes that "there are no mistakes and the saint really chooses you!" Well, St Faustina and her order did pick saints at random, so this might have some validity to it but unless we know this woman's methods, I will not take this with a lot of seriousness.

I also wrote to this lady and recieved St Cunegundes who is pretty obscure and I knew nothing about until I read about her. She is not someone I would have naturally chosen but then I had an experience a few years ago when I did feel chosen by a saint and took her name as a religious - everyone was surprised as I had found her quite difficult.

I was in a religious community who did something similar with countries not saints. We gathered together  and took a card from those face down on a table and found  the name of a country on the other side. We then prayed for that country for the next year and were expected to research it and really try to come to know it. I loved this tradition and found there was so much to focus on and new things to learn.

We did pray beforehand and ask the Holy Spirit's guidance as to which country we recieved,  so I would like to think this lady also does this. At the very least it is a good way to come to know  other saints and so broaden our knowledge of the Church.

adele.

Having a patron saint is a wonderful thing. I cannot see any harm in someone suggesting one for you. There are no bad saints out there, so you will never get stuck with a lemon.

[quote="Rocks_91, post:9, topic:254375"]
I got a reply from her. "The saint that chose you, Rocks, is St. John the Discalced, 12/15! "
She claims in her email that she believes that "there are no mistakes and the saint really chooses you!" Well, St Faustina and her order did pick saints at random, so this might have some validity to it but unless we know this woman's methods, I will not take this with a lot of seriousness.

[/quote]

She told me years ago that basically what she does is she prays and then picks a piece of paper (I assume she closes her eyes) with a saint name on it. Now with that said I will say with regard to the latest saints she picked there is an amazing coincidence with each one.

St. Blaise was chosen for a close relative of mine who has been suffering from reoccurence of strep throat and St. Blaise is the patron of throats;
St. mary of Egypt was chosen for another family member who has been away from the church for a LONG time, and this saint's patronage is "penitent women".
Blessed William Horne was chosen for another relative who is episcopalian (spelling?) but coming into the church, William Horne was a catholic monk who was persecuted and martyred under Henry the 8th, the head of the Anglican church!!!
I have been praying for an increase of the grace of Charity, and Mother Teresa chose me.
Also, my father who is battling cancer, a very deadly cancer, was chosen by Blessed Caroline who loved to assist the elderly and sick when she was alive.

Wow!!!!! This is amazing to me and it shows that God is so involved in EACH of our lives and knows every little part of it.

Anyway, this is just my two cents.

?

[/quote]

and upon what authority does this lady claim to know that this saint picks YOU, and that somehow heaven has designated your patron saint for the year (why a year? so she can get another donation each year when people come back to her site?)
there are plenty of good Catholic websites with saints and patrons saints, catholic.org and americancatholic.com are two of the best but there are dozens. I am not skeptical of the saints but very skeptical of a human being making a claim to "assign" you a patron saint and declaring supernatural knowledge that the saint has "chosen you."

[quote="puzzleannie, post:13, topic:254375"]
and upon what authority does this lady claim to know that this saint picks YOU, and that somehow heaven has designated your patron saint for the year (why a year? so she can get another donation each year when people come back to her site?)
there are plenty of good Catholic websites with saints and patrons saints, catholic.org and americancatholic.com are two of the best but there are dozens. I am not skeptical of the saints but very skeptical of a human being making a claim to "assign" you a patron saint and declaring supernatural knowledge that the saint has "chosen you."

[/quote]

That's exactly my concern... by whose authority does she teach that Saints pick people for patronage for a year? The church certainly teaches no such thing...

This all just smacks of hocus pocus to me. I have a bad feeling about it and will avoid it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.