A very interesting analysis

No, just baggage.

2 Likes

Very diplomatic answer😉
To your point regarding obesity,it’s true one can be of low body weight but have a high fat ratio and considered obese.Whereas some people are born to carry a fair amount of weight but aren’t technically obese.
Me thinks HC is just plain overweight :smirk:

1 Like

Haaaa,that’s true!

That’s another perfect example of white privilege. Just look at his current website.

I understand the conservative beliefs of those fundamentalists who support Trump. I live in the South and my young adult daughter and her black male friend just experienced some of it at the local Walmart about an hour ago.

That’s what we say because being white affords us privileges that we take for granted as being the norm. Minorities understand position quite well, trust me. President Obama had a white mother, so he had the opportunity to see the dynamics of privilege play-out on both macro and micro levels. My kids are minority through their father and have witnessed our society’s privilege rules first-hand as well.

Something she shares with Trump

Louis Farakhan isn’t white, but he says outrageous things too. That’s not “white privilege”. With both it’s just “privilege to be a jerk in a speech-protected society”

That’s not necessarily a matter of fundamentalism or being southern or being white or black. Long ago when I lived in St. Louis I had a black girlfriend for a time. She lived in a mixed, but mostly black neighborhood. It was actually scary to pick her up because we would draw seriously unfavorable comment from the blacks around there. We wouldn’t get it from whites. I particularly remember taunts of “Hey, yellah” shouted in an unfriendly way. I didn’t know what that meant, so she explained it to me. If she and I had a child together, it would presumably be very, very light. She was medium in color but had what most would think of as fairly “white” features. A very light “black” person was, at that time and place called a “high yellow” by blacks. It wasn’t friendly, either. She explained too that the black men resented a white man going with one of “their” women. But she didn’t have to. I could feel it on the back of my neck.

Privilege is a myth. Racial bias isn’t.

Yes indeed! He needs to lose about 40 pounds

I absolutely agree that reverse prejudice is a problem. My kids have experienced that as well.

Privilege is very real and so is racial bias.
Privilege is an effect of racial bias and other types of bias.

I can think of an area of privilege that is based on ability instead of race. When disabled individuals or groups have to fight for accommodations that are already secure through the ADA, there is a level of privilege being granted to able bodied people that isn’t being extended to the disabled.

The purpose of ADA is to prevent unjust discrimination, but not all discrimination. Refusing to hire a person for a typist position who can’t type, for example, is “discrimination” but it’s not prohibited discrimination.

Discrimination under ADA is different from racial or ethnic discrimination. Generally speaking, one can determine race simply by observation. One cannot necessarily determine disability or ability by observation. It’s because of that that people often have to fight against discrimination under ADA.

If, say, in a post-offer interview, a person says he can’t stand at a machine that can’t be altered for sit down work because of a back problem, then the employer might think he can withdraw the job offer because the prospective worker can’t do the job. But maybe not. If the worker can do the job adequately by using a sit/stand stool and if it would not be dangerous to the worker or others if he used it in that location, then the worker might win the dispute. But the ability is not as obvious as race by a long way. If, say, the nature of the work causes the floor to be wet and slick, as in a meat-processing facility, it might not be possibly to ensure safety if a sit/stand stool is employed. But on the other hand, maybe it would be possible to bolt the stool to the floor and put a foot rest anchored to the floor to prevent the worker from slipping into the machine it would work out.

On and on. ADA cases are not easy for employers to resolve.

I get what you’re saying, but that’s not what I’m referring to.

True.
But if an individual has documented disabilities and necessary accommodations (that can be accommodated), there shouldn’t have to be a fight.

When a fight occurs, it’s about able-bodied privilege over those with disabilities. The education system is a perfect example where this frequently occurs. ADA has a lot of gray areas with employers because many job positions cannot be adequately accommodated and employers can’t afford to create two job positions to hire a disabled person.

ADA does not require that an employer hire a “helper” for a person who is disabled in order to allow that disabled person to do a job.

I totally agree with you that there are gray areas with ADA. But I do think most employers try to accommodate. I can think of one example in an industry with which I’m familiar. The employer would send the prospective employee around to every job in the factory and give the employee a chance to try it. If the employee could do it, even with beginner’s ineptitude, the person would be placed in that job or one of the jobs.

But if the employee had a cumulative trauma disorder of some kind, the employer would additionally require a physical examination by an occupational therapist to see if the worker could do any kind of work similar to that offered, on a sustained basis.

Sometimes it’s easy. Sometimes it’s very difficult.

1 Like

This is intriguing, I never heard of it before. I just assumed they looked unhealthy because of the methods used to lose weight.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.